Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 09:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Yeasts capable of leavening bread are widespread, and in the

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 29 Aug 2005
Posts: 881
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 140 [2] , given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Yeasts capable of leavening bread are widespread, and in the [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2008, 14:21
2
This post received
KUDOS
2
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  35% (medium)

Question Stats:

70% (02:29) correct 30% (01:47) wrong based on 284 sessions
Yeasts capable of leavening bread are widespread, and in the many centuries
during which the ancient Egyptians made only unleavened bread, such yeasts must
frequently have been mixed into bread doughs accidentally. The Egyptians,
however, did not discover leavened bread until about 3000 B. C. That discovery
roughly coincided with the introduction of a wheat variety that was preferable to
previous varieties because its edible kernel could be removed from the husk
without first toasting the grain.

Which of the following, if true, provides the strongest evidence that the two
developments were causally related?
A. Even after the ancient Egyptians discovered leavened bread and the techniques
for reliably producing it were well known, unleavened bread continued to be
widely consumed.
B. Only when the Egyptians stopped the practice grain were their stonelined
grain-toasting pits available for baking bread.
C. Heating a wheat kernel destroys its gluten, a protein that must be present in order
for yeast to leaven bread dough.
D. The new variety of wheat, which had a more delicate flavor because it was not
toasted, was reserved for the consumption of high officials when it first began
to be grown.
E. Because the husk of the new variety of wheat was more easily removed, flour
Made from it required less effort to produce.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by Zarrolou on 28 Jul 2013, 01:57, edited 1 time in total.
Added OA.
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 28 Dec 2004
Posts: 3405
Location: New York City
Schools: Wharton'11 HBS'12
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 150 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: GMAT Set 26 - 39 [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2008, 14:34
I will go with C...basically says gluten less bread cannot become leavaned..

botirvoy wrote:
Yeasts capable of leavening bread are widespread, and in the many centuries
during which the ancient Egyptians made only unleavened bread, such yeasts must
frequently have been mixed into bread doughs accidentally. The Egyptians,
however, did not discover leavened bread until about 3000 B. C. That discovery
roughly coincided with the introduction of a wheat variety that was preferable to
previous varieties because its edible kernel could be removed from the husk
without first toasting the grain.

Which of the following, if true, provides the strongest evidence that the two
developments were causally related?
A. Even after the ancient Egyptians discovered leavened bread and the techniques
for reliably producing it were well known, unleavened bread continued to be
widely consumed.
B. Only when the Egyptians stopped the practice grain were their stonelined
grain-toasting pits available for baking bread.
C. Heating a wheat kernel destroys its gluten, a protein that must be present in order
for yeast to leaven bread dough.
D. The new variety of wheat, which had a more delicate flavor because it was not
toasted, was reserved for the consumption of high officials when it first began
to be grown.
E. Because the husk of the new variety of wheat was more easily removed, flour
Made from it required less effort to produce.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 24 Aug 2007
Posts: 956
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Followers: 51

Kudos [?]: 668 [0], given: 40

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: GMAT Set 26 - 39 [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2010, 03:47
IMO C.

I took this question as an assumption based and came to C by PoE.
What's the OA?

seofah wrote:
Yeasts capable of leavening bread are widespread, and in the many centuries
during which the ancient Egyptians made only unleavened bread, such yeasts must
frequently have been mixed into bread doughs accidentally. The Egyptians,
however, did not discover leavened bread until about 3000 B. C. That discovery
roughly coincided with the introduction of a wheat variety that was preferable to
previous varieties because its edible kernel could be removed from the husk
without first toasting the grain.

Which of the following, if true, provides the strongest evidence that the two
developments were causally related?
A. Even after the ancient Egyptians discovered leavened bread and the techniques
for reliably producing it were well known, unleavened bread continued to be
widely consumed. [So what. Is this related the discovery of Yeast and the introduction of new wheat. Incorrect]
B. Only when the Egyptians stopped the practice grain were their stonelined
grain-toasting pits available for baking bread. [ONLY shows extreme case and here this is showing more NEW info, which is out of context. Incorrect]
C. Heating a wheat kernel destroys its gluten, a protein that must be present in order
for yeast to leaven bread dough. [Correct]
D. The new variety of wheat, which had a more delicate flavor because it was not
toasted, was reserved for the consumption of high officials when it first began
to be grown. [Misleading new info, irrelevant to this case. Incorrect]
E. Because the husk of the new variety of wheat was more easily removed, flour
Made from it required less effort to produce. [New info of Less Effort is added. Incorrect]


_________________

Want to improve your CR: cr-methods-an-approach-to-find-the-best-answers-93146.html
Tricky Quant problems: 50-tricky-questions-92834.html
Important Grammer Fundamentals: key-fundamentals-of-grammer-our-crucial-learnings-on-sc-93659.html

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 27 Dec 2009
Posts: 172
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: GMAT Set 26 - 39 [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2010, 03:57
seen this earlier somewhere ...
I think it should be C.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: Time to apply!
Joined: 24 Aug 2011
Posts: 221
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 2: 660 Q50 V29
GMAT 3: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.2
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 166

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: GMAT Set 26 - 39 [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2011, 04:21
ykaiim wrote:
IMO C.

I took this question as an assumption based and came to C by PoE.
What's the OA?

seofah wrote:
Yeasts capable of leavening bread are widespread, and in the many centuries
during which the ancient Egyptians made only unleavened bread, such yeasts must
frequently have been mixed into bread doughs accidentally. The Egyptians,
however, did not discover leavened bread until about 3000 B. C. That discovery
roughly coincided with the introduction of a wheat variety that was preferable to
previous varieties because its edible kernel could be removed from the husk
without first toasting the grain.

Which of the following, if true, provides the strongest evidence that the two
developments were causally related?
A. Even after the ancient Egyptians discovered leavened bread and the techniques
for reliably producing it were well known, unleavened bread continued to be
widely consumed. [So what. Is this related the discovery of Yeast and the introduction of new wheat. Incorrect]
B. Only when the Egyptians stopped the practice grain were their stonelined
grain-toasting pits available for baking bread. [ONLY shows extreme case and here this is showing more NEW info, which is out of context. Incorrect]
C. Heating a wheat kernel destroys its gluten, a protein that must be present in order
for yeast to leaven bread dough. [Correct]
D. The new variety of wheat, which had a more delicate flavor because it was not
toasted, was reserved for the consumption of high officials when it first began
to be grown. [Misleading new info, irrelevant to this case. Incorrect]
E. Because the husk of the new variety of wheat was more easily removed, flour
Made from it required less effort to produce. [New info of Less Effort is added. Incorrect]




Nice explanation !

Also to add some more reason why b is incorrect -

b says that now leavened bread can be made because the pits are available.
We can counter argue that : we could have used the pits for unleavened bread for leavened bread.... hence getting the pits free cannot be a blocking factor for making leavened bread ...

Please correct me if I misunderstood anything
_________________

Didn't give up !!! Still Trying!!

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
User avatar
Status: Flying over the cloud!
Joined: 16 Aug 2011
Posts: 795
Location: Viet Nam
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools: Duke '16
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 159 [0], given: 40

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Yeasts capable of leavening bread are widespread, and in the [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2011, 01:33
I will go with C.
_________________

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 07 Aug 2011
Posts: 186
Location: United States
Concentration: Technology, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V37
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Yeasts capable of leavening bread are widespread, and in the [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2011, 11:21
C
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 18 Jun 2012
Posts: 46
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 15

Re: Yeasts capable of leavening bread are widespread, and in the [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2012, 22:35
Y C is correct ? Can someone explain with proper convincing points plz ?
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 29 Nov 2012
Posts: 930
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 227 [0], given: 543

Re: Yeasts capable of leavening bread are widespread, and in the [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2013, 07:19
What's the difficulty level for this question? I couldn't figure out what question stem it was?
_________________

Click +1 Kudos if my post helped...

Amazing Free video explanation for all Quant questions from OG 13 and much more http://www.gmatquantum.com/og13th/

GMAT Prep software What if scenarios gmat-prep-software-analysis-and-what-if-scenarios-146146.html

Expert Post
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 30 Apr 2012
Posts: 474
Followers: 198

Kudos [?]: 281 [0], given: 5

Re: Yeasts capable of leavening bread are widespread, and in the [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2013, 13:55
Expert's post
fozzzy wrote:
What's the difficulty level for this question? I couldn't figure out what question stem it was?


Tough to peg a difficulty level on questions. This one is tricky but manageable when you understand the question.

Understanding the question type is tricky because the question includes logical words (causal) that don't tie to a question type. The type is actually 'strengthen the conclusion' but the conclusion can be hard to find because its hidden in the question. The conclusion is that there is a causal relationship between the introduction of the non-toasted wheat and bread leavening.

I'll review the options when I get back to a computer.

KW

Posted from my mobile device Image
_________________


Kyle Widdison | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Utah


Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile



Expert Post
4 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 30 Apr 2012
Posts: 474
Followers: 198

Kudos [?]: 281 [4] , given: 5

Re: Yeasts capable of leavening bread are widespread, and in the [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2013, 16:18
4
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
smartmanav wrote:
Y C is correct ? Can someone explain with proper convincing points plz ?


As I mentioned in my prior post, this question is asking you to strengthen the conclusion that the discovery of leavend bread was causally related to the introduction of the non-toasted wheat. Your answer needs to make a definitive connection between those two events.

A - Makes no connection between non-toasted wheat and leaven.
B - We are trying to connect non-toasting and leavening...the baking process after the fact is not relevant.
C - This answer perfectly connects the non-toasting with the leavening. Before, when wheat was toasted, the gluten was destroyed, preventing the bread from leavining. With the new, non-toasted wheat, the gluten is present and the leavening process can take place.
D - This answer does not connect non-toasting with leaven.
E - Again, no connection made between non-toasting and leaven.

[Sorry for the delayed response here, we have a brand new baby at home and he's keeping me away from the computer :) ]

KW

Yeasts capable of leavening bread are widespread, and in the many centuries
during which the ancient Egyptians made only unleavened bread, such yeasts must
frequently have been mixed into bread doughs accidentally. The Egyptians,
however, did not discover leavened bread until about 3000 B. C. That discovery
roughly coincided with the introduction of a wheat variety that was preferable to
previous varieties because its edible kernel could be removed from the husk
without first toasting the grain.

Which of the following, if true, provides the strongest evidence that the two
developments were causally related?
A. Even after the ancient Egyptians discovered leavened bread and the techniques
for reliably producing it were well known, unleavened bread continued to be
widely consumed.
B. Only when the Egyptians stopped the practice grain were their stonelined
grain-toasting pits available for baking bread.
C. Heating a wheat kernel destroys its gluten, a protein that must be present in order
for yeast to leaven bread dough.
D. The new variety of wheat, which had a more delicate flavor because it was not
toasted, was reserved for the consumption of high officials when it first began
to be grown.
E. Because the husk of the new variety of wheat was more easily removed, flour
Made from it required less effort to produce.
_________________


Kyle Widdison | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Utah


Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile



Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 09 Sep 2012
Posts: 31
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 2

Re: Yeasts capable of leavening bread are widespread, and in the [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2013, 20:18
Yeasts capable of leavening bread are widespread, and in the many centuries
during which the ancient Egyptians made only unleavened bread, such yeasts must
frequently have been mixed into bread doughs accidentally. The Egyptians,
however, did not discover leavened bread until about 3000 B. C. That discovery
roughly coincided with the introduction of a wheat variety that was preferable to
previous varieties because its edible kernel could be removed from the husk
without first toasting the grain.

Which of the following, if true, provides the strongest evidence that the two
developments were causally related?
A. Even after the ancient Egyptians discovered leavened bread and the techniques
for reliably producing it were well known, unleavened bread continued to be
widely consumed.
it weakens the argument


B. Only when the Egyptians stopped the practice grain were their stonelined
grain-toasting pits available for baking bread.
not relevant

C. Heating a wheat kernel destroys its gluten, a protein that must be present in order
for yeast to leaven bread dough.
correct

D. The new variety of wheat, which had a more delicate flavor because it was not
toasted, was reserved for the consumption of high officials when it first began
to be grown.
it does not help to provide the causal relation between the two developments

E. Because the husk of the new variety of wheat was more easily removed, flour
Made from it required less effort to produce.
not relevant
_________________

Vietnam's number one online service on thit bo nhap khau

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 26 Jan 2014
Posts: 71
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 62

Re: Yeasts capable of leavening bread are widespread, and in the [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2014, 23:26
KyleWiddison wrote:
smartmanav wrote:
Y C is correct ? Can someone explain with proper convincing points plz ?


As I mentioned in my prior post, this question is asking you to strengthen the conclusion that the discovery of leavend bread was causally related to the introduction of the non-toasted wheat. Your answer needs to make a definitive connection between those two events.

A - Makes no connection between non-toasted wheat and leaven.
B - We are trying to connect non-toasting and leavening...the baking process after the fact is not relevant.
C - This answer perfectly connects the non-toasting with the leavening. Before, when wheat was toasted, the gluten was destroyed, preventing the bread from leavining. With the new, non-toasted wheat, the gluten is present and the leavening process can take place.
D - This answer does not connect non-toasting with leaven.
E - Again, no connection made between non-toasting and leaven.

[Sorry for the delayed response here, we have a brand new baby at home and he's keeping me away from the computer :) ]

KW

Yeasts capable of leavening bread are widespread, and in the many centuries
during which the ancient Egyptians made only unleavened bread, such yeasts must
frequently have been mixed into bread doughs accidentally. The Egyptians,
however, did not discover leavened bread until about 3000 B. C. That discovery
roughly coincided with the introduction of a wheat variety that was preferable to
previous varieties because its edible kernel could be removed from the husk
without first toasting the grain.

Which of the following, if true, provides the strongest evidence that the two
developments were causally related?
A. Even after the ancient Egyptians discovered leavened bread and the techniques
for reliably producing it were well known, unleavened bread continued to be
widely consumed.
B. Only when the Egyptians stopped the practice grain were their stonelined
grain-toasting pits available for baking bread.
C. Heating a wheat kernel destroys its gluten, a protein that must be present in order
for yeast to leaven bread dough.
D. The new variety of wheat, which had a more delicate flavor because it was not
toasted, was reserved for the consumption of high officials when it first began
to be grown.
E. Because the husk of the new variety of wheat was more easily removed, flour
Made from it required less effort to produce.


Great explanation. I guessed the answer without reason,now I know that the conclusion surely and see the logical structure.
Re: Yeasts capable of leavening bread are widespread, and in the   [#permalink] 08 Feb 2014, 23:26
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Yeasts capable of leavening bread are widespread, and in the goalsnr 4 18 Jun 2008, 19:56
Yeasts capable of leavening bread are widespread, and in the sidbidus 4 29 Oct 2007, 02:31
Yeasts capable of leavening bread are widespread, and in the bkk145 8 09 Oct 2007, 18:33
Q14: Yeasts capable of leavening bread are widespread, and jet1445 7 15 Jul 2007, 07:16
1 Yeasts capable of leavening bread are widespread, and in the Gauss 7 19 Jul 2006, 15:15
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Yeasts capable of leavening bread are widespread, and in the

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.