Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Dec 2014, 06:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Yeh Dil Maange More 740 (Q49,V 42 )

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
WE 1: 4 years Tech
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 78 [2] , given: 149

Yeh Dil Maange More 740 (Q49,V 42 ) [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2011, 04:40
This post received
KUDOS
OP : Posted on 9 th November 2011
Happy Guru Nanak Dev JI's Birthday to all who believe in Him .
I am just back and drunk after the "ordeal"
I am writing this "last" post on GmatClub with mixed feelings . Dont know whether to be happy or sad with a 740 . My circumstances are different .
I had dreamt of writing a post in this section after the test . So Here i am .
Had i not spoken to some people who wanted a 750 and got a 750 i would have been written this post differently.
The maximum i got in my mocks among the veritas Cats and MGMAT cats was 750 in MGMAT CAT 4 . Veritas 740. Lowest score 680 which was because i got into a fight with someone .
GmatPrep 1 :770
Gmatprep 2 :770
I had different expectations after i spoke to someone who was intent on getting a 750 .That was when i knew how important it was to get a 750 . Though i always knew getting a 750 + on the real deal was different from getting the same on a Gmat Prep . This stems from my feelings as a bschool aspirant - the guy coming second hardly has any recognition .Having potential is different from having a concrete figure on a piece of paper and officially recognized by the test administrator.You might have the potential to get an 800 but if you dont attain the figure officially , you stand nowhere .
I am a guy with extreme OCD . I have always got into uneven fights . So , for people who find the going tough can get some relief,although i havent really got into the desired bschool yet. That remains to be seen .
For those people who want to obtain some info about the gmat prep , the best advice that i can give u is that you take the Gmat prep 2 7 days from the d-day so that you can practice the scs and crs from the huge gmat prep question bank. 108 CRs and 200 Scs and some figure of Rcs.
One thing that i have realized is getting a good GMAT score shouldn't make you feel as if you have climbed the Mt. Everest and you must remain humble at all times .
Luck is something that counts to a great extent on any exam whether it is gmat or some other b school exam. All those people who get above average scores must pay some respect to luck because when you have 7-8 minutes left and 4 verbal questions still left . Getting them right depends on whether the answer choices jump out at you out of the page . With the clock ticking at the back of your mind , you find it more and more difficult to think and keep your mind straight.
On no account did i expect anything less than 50 on quant . I still remember 1 question which i missed because i wasnt used to the new pen . I missed the exponent in spite of having deduced the correct answer .I was attempting the quant at a scorching pace and i guess that was the reason i missed the 50 . I would have been happier with a 50 .
My experience on the verbal was that i found myself attempting the questions mechanically after the first 10 .not because i was mentally exhausted but it was the time running out of my hands. I found myself relying more on my intuition and the spntaneity obtained from practicing questions.
Its possible to crack the RCS if you are comfortable with combining thoughts that more seem like pieces of a jigsaw puzzle without you having the luxury of time.
I wasn't comfortable while attempting my Verbal and i was relieved when i saw the score but then i felt disappointed for my quant .
So i am going to relax for the mean time. a 750 would have left me content. with a 730 i would i felt like attepting the test again . with a 740 , i am left with mixed feelings .But without doubt i am grateful to Guru Nanak Dev Ji for keeping me from feeling embarassed after the struggle that i have been through .

Stay Hungry , continue to persevere , yet remain Humble.

Kisi Ko Mukammal Jahan Nahi Milta
Kisi Ko zameen , Kisi ko aasmaan nahi milta.

Grateful to bb,Ron , Mitch (GmatGuruNY ) ,Greg and David ,brothers Bblast , Rishi (Maharaj) and , nishant . & the guy who wrote the 760 post and gave examples of sun tzu .
and the countless others on BTG and Gmat Club . GmatClub & BTG Rock .
Guys you need any material let me know

Books used
Powerscore CR + Mgmat CR . MGmat CR completed the picture
Kaplan Premier
OG
MGmat Geometry ( skimmed + Vics skimmed + numbers skimmed )
mgmat sc
lsats
veritas CR,SC,RC
Verias tests/MgmatTests\
I have a huge archive of notes(every Ron/gmatguruNY.stacey discussion on GMAT Club excluding gmatprep ,adamjohns,800 Bob , spidey, jharia, gmatclub papguest ) that i thought i ll go thru but found myself rushing at the last moment

My Post Invites Discussions not answers
Try to give back something to the Forum.I want your explanations, right now !
Please let me know your opinion about the Chandigarh Gmat Centrehttp://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-experience-at-chandigarh-india-centre-111830.html

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Chat Moderator
Schools: Johnson '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V40
WE: Asset Management (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 201 [0], given: 57

Premium Member
Re: Yeh Dil Maange More 740 (Q49,V 42 ) [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2011, 05:18
mundasingh123 wrote:
OP : Posted on 9 th November 2011
Happy Guru Nanak Dev JI's Birthday to all who believe in Him .
I am writing this "last" post on GmatClub with mixed feelings . Dont know whether to be happy or sad with a 740 . My circumstances are different .
I had dreamt of writing a post in this section after the test . So Here i am .
Had i not spoken to some people who wanted a 750 and got a 750 i would have been written this post differently.
The maximum i got in my mocks among the veritas Cats and MGMAT cats was 750 in MGMAT CAT 4 . Veritas 740. Lowest score 680 which was because i got into a fight with someone .
GmatPrep 1 :770
Gmatprep 2 :770
I had different expectations after i spoke to someone who was intent on getting a 750 .That was when i knew how important it was to get a 750 . Though i always knew getting a 750 + on the real deal was different from getting the same on a Gmat Prep . This stems from my feelings as a bschool aspirant - the guy coming second hardly has any recognition .Having potential is different from having a concrete figure on a piece of paper and officially recognized by the test administrator.You might have the potential to get an 800 but if you dont attain the figure officially , you stand nowhere .
I am a guy with extreme OCD . I have always got into uneven fights . So , for people who find the going tough can get some relief,although i havent really got into the desired bschool yet. That remains to be seen .
For those people who want to obtain some info about the gmat prep , the best advice that i can give u is that you take the Gmat prep 2 7 days from the d-day so that you can practice the scs and crs from the huge gmat prep question bank. 108 CRs and 200 Scs and some figure of Rcs.
One thing that i have realized is getting a good GMAT score shouldn't make you feel as if you have climbed the Mt. Everest and you must remain humble at all times .
Luck is something that counts to a great extent on any exam whether it is gmat or some other b school exam. All those people who get above average scores must pay some respect to luck because when you have 7-8 minutes left and 4 verbal questions still left . Getting them right depends on whether the answer choices jump out at you out of the page . With the clock ticking at the back of your mind , you find it more and more difficult to think and keep your mind straight.
On no account did i expect anything less than 50 on quant . I still remember 1 question which i missed because i wasnt used to the new pen . I missed the exponent in spite of having deduced the correct answer .I was attempting the quant at a scorching pace and i guess that was the reason i missed the 50 . I would have been happier with a 50 .
My experience on the verbal was that i found myself attempting the questions mechanically after the first 10 .not because i was mentally exhausted but it was the time running out of my hands. I found myself relying more on my intuition and the spntaneity obtained from practicing questions.
Its possible to crack the RCS if you are comfortable with combining thoughts that more seem like pieces of a jigsaw puzzle without you having the luxury of time.
I wasn't comfortable while attempting my Verbal and i was relieved when i saw the score but then i felt disappointed for my quant .
So i am going to relax for the mean time. a 750 would have left me content. with a 730 i would i felt like attepting the test again . with a 740 , i am left with mixed feelings .But without doubt i am grateful to Guru Nanak Dev Ji for keeping me from feeling embarassed after the struggle that i have been through .

Stay Hungry , continue to persevere , yet remain Humble.

Kisi Ko Mukammal Jahan Nahi Milta
Kisi Ko zameen , Kisi ko aasmaan nahi milta.

Grateful to bb,Ron , Mitch (GmatGuruNY ) ,Greg and David ,brothers Bblast , Rishi (Maharaj) and , nishant . & the guy who wrote the 760 post and gave examples of sun tzu .
and the countless others on BTG and Gmat Club . GmatClub & BTG Rock .
Guys you need any material let me know

Books used
Powerscore CR + Mgmat CR . MGmat CR completed the picture
Kaplan Premier
OG
MGmat Geometry ( skimmed + Vics skimmed + numbers skimmed )
mgmat sc
lsats
veritas CR,SC,RC
Verias tests/MgmatTests\
I have a huge archive of notes(every Ron/gmatguruNY.stacey discussion on GMAT Club excluding gmatprep ,adamjohns,800 Bob , spidey, jharia, gmatclub papguest ) that i thought i ll go thru but found myself rushing at the last moment

Congrats on your great score. a 740 is nothing to be ashamed of.

Also, this is a very funny post :lol:

My Applicant Blog: http://hamm0.wordpress.com/

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 78 [0], given: 149

Re: Yeh Dil Maange More 740 (Q49,V 42 ) [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2011, 06:22

Also, this is a very funny post :lol:[/quote]
Good to know i could bring a smile to someones face in these times when all i see are angry , dissatisfied , unhappy and egoistic people ready to bring others down for being themselves
But do you mind explaining what exactly did you find funny here .
Regarding 740 : I have different circumstances . I have been in this race for a long time and believe me its not enuf even if you touch the sky

Please let me know your opinion about the Chandigarh Gmat Centrehttp://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-experience-at-chandigarh-india-centre-111830.html

Chat Moderator
Schools: Johnson '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V40
WE: Asset Management (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 201 [0], given: 57

Premium Member
Re: Yeh Dil Maange More 740 (Q49,V 42 ) [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2011, 06:29
mundasingh123 wrote:
Hamm0 wrote:

Good to know i could bring a smile to someones face in these times when all i see are angry , dissatisfied , unhappy and egoistic people ready to bring others down for being themselves
Regarding 740 : I have different circumstances . I have been in this race for a long time and believe me its not enuf even if you touch the sky

Didn't mean to offend, just thought the narrative was entertaining. i.e.
Quote:

Quote:
I would have been happier with a 50 .

That being said, a lot of this post is very inspiring. Congrats again on a great score. :good

My Applicant Blog: http://hamm0.wordpress.com/

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Re: Yeh Dil Maange More 740 (Q49,V 42 ) [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2011, 06:38
hamm0 wrote:
mundasingh123 wrote:
Hamm0 wrote:

Didn't mean to offend, just thought the narrative was entertaining. i.e.
Quote:

Quote:
I would have been happier with a 50 .

That being said, a lot of this post is very inspiring. Congrats again on a great score. :good

LOL I was trying to be as true as possible about what i was feeling at that point . The thing is like this Most of the aspirants in US get the support to explore diverse fields , gain interesting experiences and have amusing stories to tell . I am from India and most Indians lack most of the things that i mentioned above so they have to make up for it via scores

Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 328 [0], given: 191

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Yeh Dil Maange More 740 (Q49,V 42 ) [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2011, 07:51
Hi,

Your posts in inspiring because you have acknowledged that you had to practise a lot to get that score. A lot many people say that they achieved a 760 in 2 months - this might be achieveable for some but hardly a role model or inspiration for mere mortals.

What was your study strategy in brief - like how frequently you gave full length tests ?
How many LSAT tests you gave in total ?

Thanks

The question is not can you rise up to iconic! The real question is will you ?

1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 78 [1] , given: 149

Re: Yeh Dil Maange More 740 (Q49,V 42 ) [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2011, 10:49
This post received
KUDOS
AbhiJ wrote:
Hi,

Your posts in inspiring because you have acknowledged that you had to practise a lot to get that score. A lot many people say that they achieved a 760 in 2 months - this might be achieveable for some but hardly a role model or inspiration for mere mortals.

What was your study strategy in brief - like how frequently you gave full length tests ?
How many LSAT tests you gave in total ?

Thanks

I couldnt take a test for a long time because i was having issues to take care of . It wasnt like i was studying preacefully all this time within my comfort zone . I wasnt at peace with myself or the world around me .
I was studying whenever i wasnt getting into trouble LOL ie Like a week before the exam i got into a fight and was finding it difficult to concentrate

It doesnt depend on the time that you spend though Non-Native speakers have to spend more time with the GMAT.
Its difficult to prepare for the exam in 2 months until and unless you are ready to compromise with your job
It actually depends on the approach and the strategies .
I was taking tests every 3 days . I took 15 tests in total
I took 22 LSATS , but only section-wise .

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 61 [1] , given: 46

Re: Yeh Dil Maange More 740 (Q49,V 42 ) [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2011, 23:12
This post received
KUDOS
@mundasingh123 - "Dil hai kee Manta nahin", So dude, be happy and 740 is really good!!

Congratulations!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What you do TODAY is important because you're exchanging a day of your life for it!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Re: Yeh Dil Maange More 740 (Q49,V 42 ) [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2011, 02:15
Capricorn369 wrote:
@mundasingh123 - "Dil hai kee Manta nahin", So dude, be happy and 740 is really good!!

Congratulations!!

You would only know if you were to stand in my shoes .Thanks anyways

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2419

Kudos [?]: 10390 [0], given: 3778

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Yeh Dil Maange More 740 (Q49,V 42 ) [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2011, 22:06
Expert's post
Congratulations and thanks for posting the debrief.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT Date: 11-29-2011
WE: Web Development (Computer Software)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 27

Re: Yeh Dil Maange More 740 (Q49,V 42 ) [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2011, 22:40
Congrats.. Thanks for the suggestion.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT Date: 11-29-2011
WE: Web Development (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 13 [1] , given: 27

Re: Yeh Dil Maange More 740 (Q49,V 42 ) [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2011, 22:41
This post received
KUDOS
In Wch colleges did u get admit?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 12

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Yeh Dil Maange More 740 (Q49,V 42 ) [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2011, 01:31
congratulations..
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Re: Yeh Dil Maange More 740 (Q49,V 42 ) [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2011, 04:25
bb wrote:
Congratulations and thanks for posting the debrief.
Thanks bb . I really found the collections of SCs and Crs very useful , especially the ones collected by whiplash .

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Re: Yeh Dil Maange More 740 (Q49,V 42 ) [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2011, 04:26
Thanks to all. I just took the test in November . not even have my apps ready . The app process is really crazy

Manager
Manager
Status: Taking heavily leveraged but calculated risks at all times
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Schools: HBS '15, Stanford '15
GMAT Date: 01-31-2012

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 12

Re: Yeh Dil Maange More 740 (Q49,V 42 ) [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2011, 05:59
How helpful is it to take LSAT CR and RC to improve your verbal to the 99th percentile? Would you recommend it?
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Re: Yeh Dil Maange More 740 (Q49,V 42 ) [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2011, 07:14
Anasthaesium wrote:
How helpful is it to take LSAT CR and RC to improve your verbal to the 99th percentile? Would you recommend it?
LSAT questions are not exactly similar to Gmat questions but they help you hone your thought process.You begin to recognize the patterns faster. I didnt manage the 99th percentile . i think you should ask bb . he was a 99 percentiler on his day

Intern
Intern
WE 1: 6 years
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 2

Re: Yeh Dil Maange More 740 (Q49,V 42 ) [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2011, 21:03
Congratulations buddy. I liked your post.
Happy Gurupurab to you as well.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 8

Re: Yeh Dil Maange More 740 (Q49,V 42 ) [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2011, 23:49
Congratulations.
Director
Director
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V24
Followers: 63

Kudos [?]: 311 [0], given: 264

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Yeh Dil Maange More 740 (Q49,V 42 ) [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2011, 09:34
Hi buddy, heartiest congrats to you for a great score... :-D
with this score you have showed your mental strength...physical strength we see regularly(as reflected in ur snap)...lol

A big thanks for ur debrief and for so many valuable posts of urs....and u better dont leave the forum else how the novices like me will learn if the veterans will leave.....lol....

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.

A WAY TO INCREASE FROM QUANT 35-40 TO 47 : a-way-to-increase-from-q35-40-to-q-138750.html

Q 47/48 To Q 50 + the-final-climb-quest-for-q-50-from-q47-129441.html#p1064367

Three good RC strategies three-different-strategies-for-attacking-rc-127287.html

Last edited by rajeevrks27 on 29 Apr 2012, 09:40, edited 1 time in total.
Re: Yeh Dil Maange More 740 (Q49,V 42 )   [#permalink] 09 Dec 2011, 09:34