Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 08:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Yellow jackets number among the 900 or so species of the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Yellow jackets number among the 900 or so species of the [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2005, 16:25
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (low)

Question Stats:

61% (02:25) correct 39% (01:14) wrong based on 675 sessions
Yellow jackets number among the 900 or so species of the world's social wasps, wasps living in a highly cooperative and organized society where they consist almost entirely of females—the queen and her sterile female workers.

A. wasps living in a highly cooperative and organized society where they consist almost entirely of
B. wasps that live in a highly cooperative and organized society consisting almost entirely of
C. which means they live in a highly cooperative and organized society, almost all
D. which means that their society is highly cooperative, organized, and it is almost entirely
E. living in a society that is highly cooperative, organized, and it consists of almost all
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
2 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 192 [2] , given: 31

GMAT Tests User
Re: Social Wasps [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2010, 09:22
This post received
KUDOS
muhemmedhammad wrote:
Yellow jackets number among the 900 or so species of the world's social wasps, wasps living in a highly cooperative and organized society where they consist almost entirely of females-the queen and her sterile female workers.

(A) wasps living in a highly cooperative and organized society where they consist almost entirely of
(B) wasps that live in a highly cooperative and organized society consisting almost entirely of
(C) which means they live in a highly cooperative and organized society, almost all
(D) which means that their society is highly cooperative, organized, and it is almost entirely
(E) living in a society that is highly cooperative, organized, and it consists of almost all

I need the right answer and a good explanation

answer B

not c or d because the antecedent of "which" is social wasps. It's like saying -- social wasps means that they live. Doesn't really make sense.
e is no parallel
in a the use of "they consist" is not correct because it refers to wasps when it should refer to society because society consists of something not wasps consist of something
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2005, 03:24
This post received
KUDOS
Between (A) and (B), will go with (B).

(A) - ... world's social wasps, wasps living in a highly cooperative and organized society where they consist almost entirely of females ... "where" does not do well to qualify the organized society, if that's what it was there for.

(B) - ... wasps that live in a highly cooperative and organized society consisting almost entirely of females ... - cooperative and organized society consising almost entirely ... is a more appropriate usage.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

[#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2005, 19:23
This post received
KUDOS
Something is pushing me to stay away from E and choose B. I don't like "and it consists" in E.
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 23 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2005, 19:54
This post received
KUDOS
B.
additionally consists of almost all females in E looks awkward.

Whether you think you can or think you can't. You're right! - Henry Ford (1863 - 1947)

1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Schools: NYU Stern '11
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 205 [1] , given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: sc subclauses [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2008, 20:12
This post received
KUDOS
Umm, B? Thought E came close but the 'it' in the answer choice doesn't quite sound right.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 19 [1] , given: 0

Re: sc subclauses [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2008, 11:54
This post received
KUDOS
Explanations plz ...

Opinions take us nowhere :)

Yellow jackets number among the 900 or so species of the world’s social wasps, wasps living ...

Is it acceptable to have two wasps one after the other ...
Also what is the second clause ... is it a modifier or a subclause ?? ...
Im totally clueless ... someone pls help

Also can someone plz elaborate on each of the options ...

Thanks in advance
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: ISB
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 103 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Question 103 on OG 12th [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2010, 00:05
This post received
KUDOS
chiayu wrote:
Yellow jackets number among the 900 or so species of the world'd social wasps, wasps living in a highly cooperative and organized society where they consist almost entirely of females- the queen and her sterile female workers.

A) wasps living in a highly cooperative and organized society where they consist almost entirely of
B) wasps that live in a highly cooperative and organized society consisting almost entirely of
C) which means they live in a highly cooperative and organized society, almost all
D) which means that their society is highly cooperative, organized, and it is almost entirely
E) living in a society that is highly cooperative, organized, and it consists of almost all

The correct answer is B.

My questions is why answer B starts with wasps.
Answers C, D, and E are adjective clauses describing previous sentence or wasps. But why answer B starts with wasps. Is it an appositive?

Thank you for your help:)

Lets make sentence a bit simple....

red ants number among the 900 or so species of the worlds ants, ants living in a highly cooperative and organized society where they consist almost entirely of females- the X and the Y.....

C & D are outright wrong because in " which means" which would refer to ants that cannot mean anything stated later on.

E is wrong because even if "It" may refer to society it is redudant and not parallel...the sentence should have been...

living in a society that is highly cooperative and organized, consisting of almost all...

Now between A&B...

First your query....

An appositive is a noun or noun phrase that immediately follows another noun. An appositive explains or defines the noun it follows and is set off by commas.

eg: Mexico City, the biggest city in the world, has many interesting archaeological sites.

Mexico City = the biggest city in the world

Appositives are always set off by commas. Another interesting aspect of appositives is that they can always be exchanged with the nouns they modify as in another example:

The altitude of Lhasa, the capital of Tibet, is over 12,000 feet.
The altitude of the capital of Tibet, Lhasa, is over 12,000 feet.

So clearly wasps living in a highly cooperative.....is not an appositive but a modifier clause that modifies worlds social wasps...

Now again coming back to a&b

A has a big problem....it says that they consist of....where only logical referrant to they is wasps. But we know that wasps can not consist of females but a society can....

So clearly the Answer is B...

CONSIDER AWARDING KUDOS IF MY POST HELPS !!!

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 60 [1] , given: 17

Premium Member
Re: Yellow jackets number among the 900 or so species of the [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2013, 19:35
This post received
KUDOS
Quote:
herrgrau wrote : wasps living in a highly cooperative and organized society where they consist almost entirely of
What does they refer to? It sounds like the wasp itself is part female and part male.

this is wrong .i dont understand where did u find "male part" in the sentence when its clearly mentioned that the society consists almost entirely of females !!!

the real reason as why A is wrong is that its the society that can consist almost entirely of females and not "the wasps" as propounded by A
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 112

Kudos [?]: 1094 [1] , given: 118

Re: Yellow jackets number among the 900 or so species of the [#permalink] New post 12 May 2013, 14:28
This post received
KUDOS
Genopath wrote:
B: Yellow jackets number among the 900 or so species of the world's social wasps, wasps that live in a highly cooperative and organized society consisting almost entirely of...

Isn't this a run-on sentence?

Hi Genopath

B is not a run-on sentence.

Run-on error doesn't mean a long sentence, a really short sentence, however, could be run-on.

If you separate two parts in B into two sentences. The second subject would be "wasps" in general. That will changes the intended meaning.

The intended meaning is that Yellow jackets are wasps that live in................... The second part "wasps that live...." modifies the subject - Yellow jackets. Hence, we cannot put a dot between two parts.

Hope it helps.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMV Chief of Design.

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 32 [1] , given: 2

Re: Yellow jackets number among the 900 or so species of the [#permalink] New post 12 May 2013, 21:23
This post received
KUDOS
Genopath wrote:
B: Yellow jackets number among the 900 or so species of the world's social wasps, wasps that live in a highly cooperative and organized society consisting almost entirely of...

Isn't this a run-on sentence?

A run-on sentence is when two independent clauses are connected by a comma. Here, wasps that live in a highly cooperative and organized society consisting almost entirely of... is not independent clause (in fact, it is not a clause at all; it is a phrase).

This kind of contruct is very common on GMAT (because it is not intuitive and is never used in verbal communication). A lot of questions test you on this and you would be well advised to make yourself comfortable. Following are a couple of sentences in OG that use this construct (I have put the correct option in bold and italicized the absolute modifier):

Scientists have observed large concentrations of heavy-metal deposits in the upper twenty centimeters of Baltic Sea sediments, which are consistent with the growth of industrial activity there.
(A) Baltic Sea sediments, which are consistent with the growth of industrial activity there
(B) Baltic Sea sediments, where the growth of industrial activity is consistent with these findings
(C) Baltic Sea sediments, findings consistent with its growth of industrial activity
(D) sediments from the Baltic Sea, findings consistent with the growth of industrial activity in the area
(E) sediments from the Baltic Sea, consistent with the growth of industrial activity there

Another example from Official Verbal supplement:

Floating in the waters of the equatorial Pacific, an array of buoys collects and transmits data on long-term interactions between the ocean and the atmosphere, interactions that affect global climate.
A. atmosphere, interactions that affect
B. atmosphere, with interactions affecting
C. atmosphere that affects
D. atmosphere that is affecting
E. atmosphere as affects

Let me know if you want more examples and I can pull them up. There is no dearth of sentences using absolute modifier: ).

Thanks,
Ashish
GMAT - 99th Pecentile, MBA-ISB, Faculty @ http://www.EducationAisle.com

Our book Sentence Correction Nirvana available at

Amazon: Sentence Correction Nirvana
Flipkart: Sentence Correction Nirvana

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Concentration: General Management, General Management
Schools: IIM A '15
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 158 [1] , given: 297

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Yellow jackets number among the 900 or so species of the [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2013, 10:51
This post received
KUDOS
Yellow jackets number among the 900 or so species of the world's social wasps, wasps living in a highly cooperative and organized society where they consist almost entirely of females—the queen and her sterile female workers.

A. wasps living in a highly cooperative and organized society where they consist almost entirely of
"Where" modifies actual place and not the metaphorical place such as Society.
B. wasps that live in a highly cooperative and organized society consisting almost entirely of
"that" correctly modifies wasps, consisting correctly modifies society. Hence correct !
C. which means they live in a highly cooperative and organized society, almost all
Which means => what means????? Which cannot refer to idea stated in preceding clause for that purpose we have an absolute phrase
D. which means that their society is highly cooperative, organized, and it is almost entirely
Same as (C).
E. living in a society that is highly cooperative, organized, and it consists of almost all
Makes error in ||ism

Rgds,
TGC!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Yellow jackets number among the 900 or so species of the [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2005, 16:33
Yellow jackets number among the 900 or so species of the world's social wasps, wasps living in a highly cooperative and organized society where they consist almost entirely of females-the queen and her sterile female workers.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2005, 18:22
Paul wrote:
Had some trouble b/w A and B. I think A on second thought is better

I had the same trouble but I think I will go for B.
I think A has following problem:

1.wasps living in a highly cooperative and organized society where they consist almost entirely of

THEY has no Referant. It reads to me as if WASPS consist of... where as it's the socitey.

For E ..."IT" is intrusive and has no referant. It breaks IIism and moreover "almost" is awakward and changes the meaning too.

Saurabh Malpani
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 147 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2005, 18:32
Hmmm, I went for B first but I see my mistake now by switching to A :hair . A's appositive structure includes a verb but yet, "consist of" should not be there because a phrase has no verb! I was just bothered by the fact that B has active voice "consisting of" which is not as good as "consist of". However, in this case, it seems best as it avoids the inclusion of an intrusive verb. It seems like not doing verbal questions for a while makes you rusty :stupid

Best Regards,

Paul

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2005, 21:21
saurabhmalpani wrote:
Paul wrote:
Had some trouble b/w A and B. I think A on second thought is better

I had the same trouble but I think I will go for B.
I think A has following problem:

1.wasps living in a highly cooperative and organized society where they consist almost entirely of

THEY has no Referant. It reads to me as if WASPS consist of... where as it's the socitey.

For E ..."IT" is intrusive and has no referant. It breaks IIism and moreover "almost" is awakward and changes the meaning too.

Saurabh Malpani

I am confused with the usage of "wasps" again in "B", the stem talks abt "Yellow Jackets" specifically, making it a subject, usage of "wasps" in B again alters the meaning of the stem, making it sound like stem talks abt wasps in general and not "Yellow Jacket".....me confused :?: :?
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2005, 21:21
I will go with B as well

A has a problem by using "where" B fixes this problem with relative pronoun that

Praveen

SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 187 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC Yellow Jackets [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2005, 09:17

Yellow jackets number among ... wasps, wasps living ... Doesn't seem to flow
Also "they" is wrong

Yellow jackets number among ... wasps, wasps that ...
Same with A, doesn't flow

"almost all females" seems to be fragmental.

"it" refers to "their society", seems alright.

"consist of almost all females" wrong in meaning? Is the use of "it" correct?
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 187 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2005, 10:55
Hmmm Ok D is not right because "a sociaty is female" doesn't sound right. The next best would be E then.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2005, 12:18
I say B...even though it sounds awkward the construction seems right....that live in a highly cooperative and organized society consisting almost entirely of ...

"No! Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try.

[#permalink] 25 Jan 2005, 12:18