Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 08:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Yet another bad experience

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Yet another bad experience [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2005, 03:58
Hi everyone,

I just took my GMATS about 5 days ago and ended up with an unfortunate score. 35Q (44%) and 40V (91%) for a total of 610. Needless to say I was completely surprised and crushed when the score was displayed.

I'm not sure what went wrong exactly but have some ideas, I would appreciate more opinions and advice. I didn't get much sleep the night before but still felt energized for the test. Once it started, I finished both essays with time to spare and expect a very good score on them. Then the math section started. It didn't seem too difficult, but I kept getting distracted by the time. It always seemed like I was behind, so I would rarely double check my answers.

I had one particular problem that I'm not sure what to make of. It was a geometry question, had to do with a rectangle split into 2 triangles and one middle part. When I thought about the problem after the test, the solution, which couldn't be easier, jumped out at me. When I was in the test, however, I immediately started solving this problem in perhaps the most complicated way there is, using pithagore and square roots and god knows what else, but after 5 minutes I just stopped, guessed and moved on. Has anyone been through this? any advice?
Otherwise I didn't get the impression the math was particularly difficult, which is why I was so surprised at my score. I'm guessing I may have made some inattention errors or just carelessness.

The verbal was also quite a bit lower than any of my tests. I usually get 99%, even on kaplan. The only thing I can think of is that my attention was seriously waning when i got to the middle of the verbal section. That's something I hope to work on as well.

some background:

I studied primarily using Kaplan's premium guide

I also used princeton review's math guidebook.

I have gmat 800, but did not use it.

I didn't know about this site or that the new Official Guide was available, I found out when paying for the exam. I have since ordered and received it (next day air!).

To be very honest, I hadn't done a full exam, from start to finish, until the exam. I did the math section of the kaplan CD which was timed and used the paper version of verbal to extrapolate. Since my verbal was 99% that usually translated to about 610, though my quant on kaplan was quite bad. I ignored that because I'd read the Kaplan test was much harder.
As for the ETS test, I downloaded the 2006 version, unaware there was another one. As a result I was also unprepared for the format, though I don't think that made a difference.

I finished university about 6 months ago, so I'm still fresh in academic environments and tests. I was a business major, and scored an A in every quantitative course I took (stats I, II, decision analysis etc), so I'm quite surprised my quant is low.

Anyway, Any advice would be appreciated. I'm aiming for 700+, which means at least 90 points higher. Seems like quite a feat to accomplish since I have at most a month more to study.

Thank you,

Nls07.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 120 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2005, 07:33
Took the same Kaplan course and used the same Kaplan materials only to score roughly the same Q as you did- a mortifying 34. As a native English speaker, verbal (besides lengthy RCs) has never been much of a problem. Math on the other hand has gotten much harder since the old paper and pencil days. I might recommend Veritas Project GMAT and the MGMAT math archives. The former is available at Amazon.com and the latter can be ordered directly off the MGMAT website. Together, they won`t set you back more than $75 and you will definately be armed with all you need to transcend well into the Q40 range. Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Excellent [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2005, 14:37
Thanks for the advice, it's good to know i'm not the only one. Kaplan seems fundamentally lacking, at least when taken alone. Also, your advice sounds good, I'll definitely follow up on it, hopefully I can end up with that 700+!

Thanks for your help!

Nls07.
Excellent   [#permalink] 15 Dec 2005, 14:37