Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 16:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Yet another profile

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Yet another profile [#permalink] New post 24 May 2010, 20:55
I have a huge break between some of my UG grades and when I finished my degree. This includes some Incompletes/F's when I left college...mostly because I didn't like it and was a lazy idiot but also to go participate in various wars after 9/11. Once I got out of the army, I got a BBA/MS in accounting, and work at a small company which helps with process consulting and accounting information system implementation. I'm CPA/CMA licensed with a few software certifications too. Promotions ahead of schedule but in a firm that's fairly small and new I don't know how well that will play. It would make absolutely no sense for me to get a top MBA and return to this job so I don't yet know how good my recommendations will be. I don't want to ask for any yet, because I might get written off as someone who is planning to leave.

My goal is to go into management consulting, then maybe start my own little firm one day whenever the next big thing comes out that requires lots of business IT consultants(like when the first Enterprise Resource Planning software came out and everyone needed it).

30 year old white male
UG Cumulative across all schools(Decent state schools): 3.32, last 80 hours: 3.98. The black hole in my GPA is from 10 years ago.
Grad GPA: 3.97
Cumulative GPA UG and Grad: 3.43
GMAT 760, balanced. I studied very little, could definitely improve. I know that sounds nuts but if I don't apply in the next year it'll be expiring anyway because of the 5 year limit.
WE: Three years accounting/IT consulting. I'm more on the accounting/business side, we have others who have a computer science background. Working in these multidisciplinary teams should be a good selling point.
Community service: None really, but I figure my military service will fill the gap of non-professional/non-academic experience.

Thoughts? Advice on things to do over the next few years to be more competitive? Waiting would provide me with some better professional leadership experience, but I'm getting a little old as it is.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Schools: R1: Kellogg WL, Haas WL, Fuqua, Darden R2: Wharton
WE 1: Biotech Strategy
WE 2: Health Economics
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 2

Re: Yet another profile [#permalink] New post 26 May 2010, 06:07
Some random thoughts:

1) If you want to go to school, don't wait. Your age is getting up there and anything you gain in leadership experiance may be counteracted by the bump in age.

2) GMAT is fine. Spend time on research/networking/essays

3) I wouldn't worry about your GPA. Mine is worse and has the same sorta of holes (withdraw, fail, etc.) If its all over the place, I'd just explain. Not provide excuses, just explain.

4) You'll have to pull the trigger some time on the recommendation. Just be honest with that person and make an effort to make thier life easier throughout the recomendation process
Re: Yet another profile   [#permalink] 26 May 2010, 06:07