Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 16:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Yet another profile evaluation

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Schools: Wharton, LBS, UChicago, Kellogg MMM (Donald Jacobs Scholarship), Stanford, HBS
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 134 [0], given: 3

Yet another profile evaluation [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2008, 06:13
Hi Paul,

thank you for your time and attention. I would like to submit my profile in order for you to briefly assess my chances at the following schools for the class of 2011:

- HBS R1
- Stanford R1
- Tuck R1
- LBS R2
- INSEAD R2

Age, gender, ethnicity: almost 27 (almost 28 at matriculation), white male, Italian.

Education: BA (Hon.) with a major in marketing and business administration from Bocconi UG (best management college in Italy). GPA 28,2/30, final mark 110/110. Semester abroad at Strathclyde (UK). Member of International Students Association.

GMAT: taking it in late July, currently scoring 720-750 in MGMAT and GMATPrep

Work Experience (3 years at matriculation):
- 20 months at a boutique MC firm in Italy: promoted after one year, given an intern and a full-time analyst to manage after one year, substantial contribution in selling the extension of a major engagement, acted as the company reference point for IT procurement and integration with parent company when the firm was acquired;
- 3 months now in a major MC firm (top 3): international engagement (Ukraine, Switzerland, Italy) as well as international team (Ukrainian, Russian, Dutch, Italian), should be promoted to a post-MBA position in one year.

Extracurriculars: junior teacher at local sailing club, organized sailing race with about 100 participants; head of non-editorial activities for the leading italian music webzine (until I went working as a consultant), negotiated two deals with major players in the online advertising business.

Career Goal: move to the US in a product management role in a major Internet-based company (first choice would be Amazon), eventually lead my own team or my startup again in a product and design based industry.

Weaknesses: took me one year more than expected to graduate, due to family matters. I also feel my extracurricular are not up to par with other applicants though leadership could emerge in my professional career so far.

Other: at my previous company I worked directly with the CEO for a couple of months, he happens also to be a VP of HBS Alumni and would strongly support my candidacy with compelling stories.

Also, what do you think of getting a LOR from a subordinate, since I happened to have one just one year down the road?

Thank you again,

Paradosso
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 346 [0], given: 64

Re: Yet another profile evaluation [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2008, 11:05
Expert's post
Paradosso,

Strong profile. The fact that you are Italian helps you as Italy is not a major source of B-school applicants in the U.S. Your professional profile is strong, especially the promotion to post-MBA role. Your extracurriculars are not jaw-dropping but they are certainly interesting and in some respects impressive. The weaknesses you mentioned are not significant, especially if the family issue required you to help out your family (you would get points for that). So no red flags, and many positives. That said, I'm not sure I see enough in terms of unusualness/distinctiveness to make me think your are competitive at HBS and Stanford. However, I do think you should apply at both -- you do have a chance. I think are competitive at Tuck, LBS, and INSEAD.

Good luck,

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Current Student
Schools: Wharton, LBS, UChicago, Kellogg MMM (Donald Jacobs Scholarship), Stanford, HBS
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 134 [0], given: 3

Re: Yet another profile evaluation [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2008, 13:11
Paul,

thank you very much. I have applied to the Accepted.com Telethon and I'm looking forward to know more about how accepted.com can help me.

Thanks again, it's appreciated.

P.
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 346 [0], given: 64

Re: Yet another profile evaluation [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2008, 15:50
Expert's post
You're welcome. I think I was assigned to you during the Telethon, but when I tried emailing you I got an error message. If you want to contact me directly, try pbodine@accepted.com and I'll reply.

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog