Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 17:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Yet another profile evaluation request - and some questions

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

Yet another profile evaluation request - and some questions [#permalink] New post 25 May 2007, 15:34
EDIT: Removing profile. Thanks for the suggestions, Paul

Last edited by mNeo on 11 Jun 2007, 19:14, edited 1 time in total.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 0

Re: Yet another profile evaluation request - and some questi [#permalink] New post 29 May 2007, 08:41
mNeo wrote:
EDIT: Removing profile. Thanks for the suggestions, Paul

mNeo,

Your profile is very strong--no red flags that I can see--but I don't see the 'superhuman' or 'magical' aspects that Stanford and HBS favor. I agree you should aim for first round, but I think you should apply to more than 2 schools. Because your profile is so strong I think your option A makes more sense--there are plenty of top 10 schools where you will be competitive; I just don't see the 'extra'/unusual aspect that Stanford and HBS like.

It's true your apps get better as you go, but I don't think that means you should apply to the safety schools first and *then* your top-choice schools. After you've finished one or two apps you should be where you need to be. So I would recommend applying to a mix of first-choice and second-choice schools in the first round. You may just want to start working on your essays in mid-summer, so you've polished them by the time the first-round deadlines arrive.

In terms of schools given your goals, your odds should be decent at Haas, MIT, Wharton, Michigan. A safety school could be USC. HBS and Stanford could be long shots.

Good luck,

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter

Current Student

[#permalink] New post 29 May 2007, 09:03
Thanks a lot for your time and suggestions. This is certainly going to help me a lot.

I am now preparing a schedule for a mix of 'reach' and 'realistic' applications in R1 and R2. I am also weighing my options that can add to my profile by the time I apply. Thanks once again.
SVP
SVP

[#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2007, 16:43
mNeo wrote:
Thanks a lot for your time and suggestions. This is certainly going to help me a lot.

I am now preparing a schedule for a mix of 'reach' and 'realistic' applications in R1 and R2. I am also weighing my options that can add to my profile by the time I apply. Thanks once again.

You're welcome.

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Current Student

[#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2007, 07:43
Paul,

I had shortlisted MIT Sloan as one of the 3 R1 schools where I was applying. But, I have been hearing that MIT Sloan is almost impossibile for Indian applicants from the technology field (I am from Telecom). Is that correct? Will I be almost wasting my application effort if I apply to MIT?
SVP
SVP

[#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2007, 13:26
mNeo wrote:
Paul,

I had shortlisted MIT Sloan as one of the 3 R1 schools where I was applying. But, I have been hearing that MIT Sloan is almost impossibile for Indian applicants from the technology field (I am from Telecom). Is that correct? Will I be almost wasting my application effort if I apply to MIT?

mNeo,

I would be surprised if MIT's percentage of Indian and South Asian admittees has dropped off at all. If the odds are "almost impossible" this is more likely because more Indian applicants may be applying there (I don't know). But this increased competition is something you'll face at all of the top schools, so I wouldn't base any application decisions on it.

Good luck,

Paul Bodine /