Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 01:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

yeyyyy 720 (Q48 V41)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: R2: MIT (ding), Stanford (WL w/int), Wharton (WL w/ int), Emory (admitted!)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 1

yeyyyy 720 (Q48 V41) [#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2009, 11:55
This post received
KUDOS
I've been wanting to write this post for 2 months :-D

I'll enter a more detailed description tonight! ... for now, here it is!

GMAT: 720
Verbal: 41
Quantitative: 48

Undergrad Engineering in Computer Science in a top university in Guatemala. Spanish is my maternal language but I've been studying English since I was very young. 3 years of work experience in IT and Project Management. My preparation was a month and a half.

I began with Kaplan, then I did OG 12th edition and OG quantitative and the final week was a Manhattan Gmat test each day and the GMAT Prep test.

My scores on the Manhattan GMAT practice tests and the GMAT prep are between 660 and 680. I CAN'T BELIEVE I WAS ABLE TO SCORE 720 ON THE REAL THING :D :D :D :D

Recommendations:
1. WANTING IT BADLY ENOUGH!!!!!!!
2. Review all the material, do as much exercises as possible, review all the mistakes you make.
3. Do the practice tests, they'll help with your timing.
4. REST AND RELAX the day before the test.
5. STAY SUPER FOCUSED while doing the test!!!
6. Have a winning attitude, I even talked to myself in the mirror before starting the test. :oops:
My motto was "I CAN DO IT!!!"

BEST OF LUCK EVERYONE!!!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 1

Re: yeyyyy 720 (Q48 V41) [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2009, 07:01
congratulations man
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 3

Re: yeyyyy 720 (Q48 V41) [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2009, 09:32
Thats the way to beat it man...Congratulations and good luck with your apps..
Intern
Intern
Schools: R2: MIT (ding), Stanford (WL w/int), Wharton (WL w/ int), Emory (admitted!)

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 1

Re: yeyyyy 720 (Q48 V41) updated AWA score 6.0 (90%) [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2009, 09:46
Ok so here it goes!

Test date: Nov 25, 2009
Score: 720
Quant: 48
Verbal: 41
AWA: 6.0 (90%)

I studied for a little over a month. About 1 or 2 hours each day during the week and 6 hours totals on weekends. The week before the test I took a break from work and dedicated all my hours to studying. I have a background in Computer Science so the Quant part didn't worry me as much, but I did have to practice a lot. I had to get used to the GMAT format, specially in the DS questions. Those where there hardest for me at first. I like to think that my English is fairly well. However, it turns out I had forgotten a lot of grammar rules :-) .

Study Material:
Kaplan, OG 12ed, OG Quantitative, Manhattan Practice Tests, GMAT practice tests, Manhattan Prep SC, chineseburned post on AWA (truly incredible).

Practice tests:

1. Manhattan (Nov 19):
Quantitative 44
Verbal 36
Total 660

2. GMAT prep (Nov 21):
Total 680

3. Manhattan (Nov 22):
Quantitative 46
Verbal 35
Total 670

4. Manhattan (Nov 23):
Quantitative 44
Verbal 36
Total 660

Suggestions:
- Start with a book where you can read through all the concepts, with a book that will give you strategies. For me Kaplan, was great at this! Then, move on to the OG, do all the exercises if you can!!! Mark the ones that you think are the toughest and the ones you get wrong and do them repeated times.

- I felt like I completely got the hang of SC and CR a few days before test. After doing many practice tests and slowly going over each of my mistakes. I read almost all the explanations of the last 50 exercises of the OG. For CR this was the best thing I could've done. I felt like I easily passed through those on the test. The funny thing is that RC was the thing that least had me worried, and on the test, I felt those were the hardest questions.

- Slow down! I tend to get a little excited when I'm working and I speed up. I feel as though my brain were working at a rate of a million ideas per second. I read on this forum that someone said SLOW DOWN! This advice did WONDERS for me! Slowing down and remaining calm stopped my brain from getting too excited.

- Read posts from people who have done good on the test. I learned a lot of tips this way! It also helped me stay focused and motivated... this forum really was one of my best references! :D

Day before the test:
REST AND RELAX!!!! I actually laid down on the yard, read a book, listened to music and forgot about all the stress that had worried me the last couple of months. I'm usually not a nervous person, but I was SOO nervous the day before!!! i was even looking kind of pale.

Music always does the trick for me, so I played my favorite chill playlist over and over again.

GET A GOOD NIGHT SLEEP!

Day of the test:
Eat a light breakfast.

Repeat to yourself THAT YOU CAN DO IT! THAT YOU WILL DO IT! THAT THIS TEST IS YOURS! and DO IT.. BEAT THAT TEST!

On the breaks, I always drank Gatorade. Though, I did felt like there wasn't enough time to go to the bathroom.

When I finished the Quant part, I was actually a little worried. I had read that people who did great mentioned that the last questions of the Quant were horrible. Mine weren't as bad. I didn't do amazing in Quant and that really worried me. So on that break, I ate a chocolate bar and said to myself, OK NOW YOU NEED TO AN AMAZING SCORE IN VERBAL. That mentality helped me a lot!

Though, I have to say that on the last question my right eye lid starting shacking :S ... but it was all good. When I saw the grade, I jumped and screamed YEYYY! Yes, I actually did that :-) .

I hope this helps!!!

Thank you GMAT CLUB!!!!! and good luck everyone!

Last edited by justniky on 02 Dec 2009, 06:26, edited 2 times in total.
Tuck Thread Master
Schools: Stanford (in), Tuck (WL), Wharton (ding), Cornell (in)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 93 [0], given: 69

Re: yeyyyy 720 (Q48 V41) [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2009, 12:40
Congrats!!! That's a great score!

PS Which Kaplan book did you work with?
Intern
Intern

Re: yeyyyy 720 (Q48 V41) [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2009, 12:49
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 7

Re: yeyyyy 720 (Q48 V41) [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2009, 16:28
yeyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

congratulations!!!!!!
Man you are done with one big step, good luck for the apps.
I like your score, it is yummy!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: yeyyyy 720 (Q48 V41) [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2009, 16:48
Great score..congrats
Manager
Manager

Re: yeyyyy 720 (Q48 V41) [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2009, 22:30
Congratulations!!
Expert Post
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Followers: 86

Kudos [?]: 490 [0], given: 432

Premium Member
Re: yeyyyy 720 (Q48 V41) [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2009, 19:13
Expert's post
Congratulations! Kudos to you, good sir.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: yeyyyy 720 (Q48 V41)   [#permalink] 01 Dec 2009, 19:13