Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 00:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Yoohoo, ecstatic about my score: 750 (Q51,V40)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Yoohoo, ecstatic about my score: 750 (Q51,V40) [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2005, 13:36
Hello everyone,

I just got back from the testing center in San Francisco. I am drained but really happy :-D with how I did.

The quantitative was very easy, nowhere close to the kind of questions being discussed on this board. The level of the questions was about the same as the OG (11th edition). The questions seemed suspiciously easy to me and I was worried if I had made some stupid mistakes in the beginning. I am bad at double checking my solutions. I finished the quant with 5 minutes left, which I used to take rest. There was just one very simple combination question, no truly complicated statistics, geometry, or number theory questions. Of course, there were the usual traps, but none that would cause brain damage.

The verbal was challenging and again the same level as the OG. Sentence correction is my weakest point and that is where I probably made the most mistakes. I got five SCs at the beginning of the test. The CR and RC were typical of what one sees in OG. On CR and RC, I typically do 95% plus. I was bit slow in verbal and panicked when I saw the last RC, I turned off the clock to reduce the stress. I did not do too well on the last paragraph because of the stress. I find that I need to have a good control of time, otherwise I can easily panic.

I started preparing two months ago. After four weeks of preparation, I got burnt out and took three weeks off of GMAT practicing. Here is the list of material I used:

OG 11th Edition
OG Verbal Guide
OG Quantitative Guide
Old OG from 1984 (this had some really challenging quant questons)

I went through all the questions in these three books.

I also did the 9 ETS tests, but I cherry picked the questions at the end of each sections.

I did not touch any of the Kaplan, Princeton Review, etc. I think these four books amount to more that 2000 questions, and that is more than plenty to practice for GMAT. ETS's questions are quite precise and I just don't trust other prep companies to match the ETS's questions.

I also took GMATPrep once (720), and Powerprep(730). I don't remember the breakdowns.

Thanks everyone for sharing their own experiences. I have been a lurker on this website, but I have benefited tremendously from all the posts in the forum.

blueberry
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2005, 13:50
Congratulations Blueberry! :wave

"Wow! Brazil is big." —George W. Bush, after being shown a map of Brazil by Brazilian president Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva, Brasilia, Brazil, Nov. 6, 2005

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/11/21/inter ... prexy.html

Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2005, 14:13
That's great! Congratulations!

So missing the fun last week was worth it!!
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2005, 19:41
Congrats buddy!
Do stick around to guide us... :-D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2005, 20:23
Congrats... awesome score!!!
SVP
SVP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2005, 02:38
Congrats buddy.

hey ya......

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Thanks everyone [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2005, 13:25
Thanks everyone for the wishes.

I also want to thank all the dilligent posters including nakib, gmajatang, laxiev, honghu and others. They really put in a lot of effort on these posts.

As I said the math on the actual exam was a lot easier than what is discussed in the Math forum. So my advice for folks who are shooting around 700 is to be not too concerned about some of the complicated problems. It is true that doing the hard problems can help you do the easier ones quickly, but there is a limit. I fear that a lot of people might feel intimated and think that GMAT Math is quite hard.

And lastly, my 10th question or so was on using the Pythagoras theorem to find a diagonal! It made me think if I made a whole bunch of mistakes early on. So in a nutshell, don't overthink the CAT part of the test. It is best to just focus on the exam and not what the computer is doing.

Good luck to everyone here,
blueberry
Thanks everyone   [#permalink] 01 Dec 2005, 13:25