Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Oct 2014, 09:55

Today

Waiting for Decisions? Join us in the chat | All GMAT Club Tests are Free and Open

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

You got 2 minutes. Go!! Unless negotions begin soon, the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 142 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
You got 2 minutes. Go!! Unless negotions begin soon, the [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2006, 05:00
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
You got 2 minutes. Go!!

Unless negotions begin soon, the cease-fire will be violated by one of the two sides to the dispute. Negotions will be held only if other countries have pressured the two sides to negotiate; an argument will emerge only if other countries continue such pressure throughout the negotions. But no negotiations will be held until international troops enforcing the cease-fire have demonstrated their ability to counter any agression from either side, thus suppressing a major incentive for the two sides to resume fighting.

If the statements above are true, and if negotions between the two sides do begin soon, at the time home negotiations begin each of the folllowing must also be true EXCEPT:

A) The cease-fire has not been violated by either of the two sides

B) International troops enforcing the cease-fire have demonstrated that they can counter aggression from either of the two sides.

C) A major incentive for the two sides to resume hostilities has been suppressed.

D) Other countries have exerted pressure on the two sides to the dispute.

E) The negotiations' reaching an agreement depends in part on the actions of other countries.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2006, 05:10
is it (E)
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2006, 05:33
Think it should be C)
GMAT Instructor

Kudos [?]: 133 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2006, 06:03
I thought A, but they all seem to follow from the text

Last edited by kevincan on 26 Aug 2006, 09:13, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student

Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2006, 06:44
Oh boy, looks like this one is gonna stay active for awhile. Any other thoughts?? U2Lover, Dahiya, Professor, John, Rudy, you guys wanna chime in?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2006, 17:58
i think its E.

OA please?

A.P.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

Re: CR: Using Diplomacy for a Cease Fire [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2006, 19:35
(E) for me :

GMATT73 wrote:
You got 2 minutes. Go!!

Unless negotions begin soon, the cease-fire will be violated by one of the two sides to the dispute. Negotions will be held only if other countries have pressured the two sides to negotiate; an argument will emerge only if other countries continue such pressure throughout the negotions. But no negotiations will be held until international troops enforcing the cease-fire have demonstrated their ability to counter any agression from either side, thus suppressing a major incentive for the two sides to resume fighting.

If the statements above are true, and if negotions between the two sides do begin soon, at the time home negotiations begin each of the folllowing must also be true EXCEPT:

TRUE. Only when troops can enforce the ceasefire will the 2 sides come to the negotiation table.

B) International troops enforcing the cease-fire have demonstrated that they can counter aggression from either of the two sides.
TRUE. One of the preconditions for negotiation.

C) A major incentive for the two sides to resume hostilities has been suppressed.
TRUE. One of the preconditions for negotiation.

TRUE. Thats the only way they come to the negotiation table.

E) The negotiations' reaching an agreement depends in part on the actions of other countries.
ONLY ONE LEFT.

http://mba2010dreams.blogspot.com

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2006, 19:43
A.

2:05.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Kellogg School of Management
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 3

[#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2006, 20:17
C ?
CEO
CEO
Schools: Completed at SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - Class of 2008
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 83 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2006, 20:42
hmm....
looks like A.

If A then B does not mean if NOT(A) then NOT(B)....

SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - MBA CLASS OF 2008

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2006, 21:48
I'm going with A on this.
Director
Director
Followers: 3

[#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2006, 22:51
A for me))
Let me try to explain my logic on this
Though i am not good in explanations I ll do my best

In order the negotiations took place several conditions must be fulfilled
1)Negotions will be held only if other countries have pressured the two sides to negotiate
2)international troops enforcing the cease-fire will demonstrate their ability to counter any agression from either side, thus suppressing a major incentive for the two sides to resume fighting

B ,C and D out
an argument will emerge only if other countries continue such pressure throughout the negotions
so E is out
A looks good for me because even if The cease-fire was violated by either of the two sides, there is no mention for this reason to be enought to stop negotiations.
In extreme case the negotiations will be postponed, but still held later on.
Hope this helps

IE IMBA 2010

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2006, 00:12
I believe it is E
Director
Director
Followers: 3

[#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2006, 07:29
whats the OA?

IE IMBA 2010

Current Student

Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2006, 07:33
Yurik79 wrote:
A for me))
Let me try to explain my logic on this
Though i am not good in explanations I ll do my best

In order the negotiations took place several conditions must be fulfilled
1)Negotions will be held only if other countries have pressured the two sides to negotiate
2)international troops enforcing the cease-fire will demonstrate their ability to counter any agression from either side, thus suppressing a major incentive for the two sides to resume fighting

B ,C and D out
an argument will emerge only if other countries continue such pressure throughout the negotions
so E is out
A looks good for me because even if The cease-fire was violated by either of the two sides, there is no mention for this reason to be enought to stop negotiations.
In extreme case the negotiations will be postponed, but still held later on.
Hope this helps

OA is A! OE is YURIK!! Way to comrade :cool
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2006, 07:34

Timed @2:30..
  [#permalink] 28 Aug 2006, 07:34