Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 20:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

You know you have been studying too hard for the GMAT when..

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
26 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 37 [26] , given: 0

You know you have been studying too hard for the GMAT when.. [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2011, 21:27
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
So this one day while reflecting on my GMAT prep, i realized that this test has influenced my life in more ways than just trying to learn the material and improvise upon test taking strategies; if a lot of you in the midst of their GMAT prep are like me and have seen a majority of your life dominated by this test, you probably fall in the same boat.

Below is a list of some of the ways in which the GMAT has changed my life. Feel free to add your own.

You know you have been studying to hard for the GMAT when:

1. You are provided a spreadsheet for analysis and you immediately suspect that the data provided to you might not be sufficient to complete your analysis
  2. Your friend asks you how much time are you reaching his or her place in and you reply , well your house is about 3.5 miles away and I am walking at a speed of 2 miles an hour hour so I should be there in approximately 1.75 hours or a 105 minutes.
  3. You know the probability of there being a traffic jam on your way to and back from work on each weekday
  4. Your boss announces a change of strategy and you immediately try to figure out his underlying assumption and try to come up with a way to weaken it
  5. You make it a point to include at least one modifier and one parallel structure in every email you send at work.
  6. Someone tells you he enjoys things LIKE x, y , z and you immediately correct him by saying ' I believe you meant, SUCH AS x, y, z
  7. You have noted down all the foods that those who scored well in the GMAT said that they ate and have captured them on your grocery list
  8. When you hear the word Manhattan , New York is not the first thing that pops in your head.
  9. You have spent so much time answering questions on various forums that the thought of becoming GMAT tutor after you take the test has crossed your mind at least once.
  10. No wait, i can't end this at 9, I have to hit the magic round number
  11. You subconsciously keep reading the word LAST as LSAT

by akhileshgupta05
1. You read statuses on FB and see only grammatical errors in them.
2. You comment on those statuses writing the correct form and your friends call you a douche.
3. While arguing with your mom you say that her assumption is incorrect. And she's like 'huh!'
4. While running on the treadmill you calculate your average running speed within seconds.
5. You get dreams of hitting the perfect score. Everyday!

Credit for this one goes to 285south

Last edited by bb on 06 Aug 2013, 19:19, edited 3 times in total.
Updated with tips
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: You know you have been studying to hard for the GMAT when... [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2011, 23:22
This post received
KUDOS
haha great post! I like the Manhattan one...
btw what is the list of great foods? I'm wondering if it'll make a difference in my concentration
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.65

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 8

CAT Tests
Re: You know you have been studying to hard for the GMAT when... [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2011, 00:34
Awesome post!
I too was thinking that my preparation for the test (as little as it was) really shaped me in many ways.
Good luck in all your endeavors!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 0

Re: You know you have been studying to hard for the GMAT when... [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2011, 05:59
geekychick123 wrote:
btw what is the list of great foods? I'm wondering if it'll make a difference in my concentration

A lot of people say that they carried energy bars, a banana or a light sandwich with them for in between snacking. The first 2 sound like a good idea as sugar, at a reasonable dose, helps boost the energy levels.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 16 [1] , given: 9

Re: You know you have been studying to hard for the GMAT when... [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2011, 06:30
This post received
KUDOS
ravish wrote:
geekychick123 wrote:

A lot of people say that they carried energy bars, a banana or a light sandwich with them for in between snacking. The first 2 sound like a good idea as sugar, at a reasonable dose, helps boost the energy levels.

Really very nice post.Sentence correction making me crazy and I can find lots of redundancy in my office emails.The reason behind is only GMAT.
Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2323

Kudos [?]: 9402 [3] , given: 3697

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: You know you have been studying to hard for the GMAT when... [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2011, 10:58
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This is great! Kudos

I would add something along the lines of: every time you see your company's org chart you wonder if it is drawn to scale :)

Also, anything about sentences being parallel?

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 37 [1] , given: 0

Re: You know you have been studying to hard for the GMAT when... [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2011, 11:12
This post received
KUDOS
bb wrote:
This is great! Kudos

I would add something along the lines of: every time you see your company's org chart you wonder if it is drawn to scale :)

Also, anything about sentences being parallel?

Could never forget parallelism. That is captured in #5 - all the sentences around the word and are perfect replicas of each other.

lol@ 'drawn to scale'
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton/Lauder - Class of 2013
WE 1: Project Management, Telecommunications
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 19 [2] , given: 16

Re: You know you have been studying to hard for the GMAT when... [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2011, 12:21
This post received
KUDOS
LOL! This is an awesome post. I definitely caught myself doing #4 a few times!! :)

+1 Kudos!
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2323

Kudos [?]: 9402 [0], given: 3697

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: You know you have been studying to hard for the GMAT when... [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2011, 08:16
Expert's post
Moving this to the GMAT Forum where I think it will find quite a bit of appreciation :)

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Retired Moderator
Affiliations: Many NGOs!
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Entrepreneurship
WE: Operations (Manufacturing)
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 56

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: You know you have been studying to hard for the GMAT when... [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2011, 08:22
Great! :)

GMAT ToolKit For Android Phones https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nkoventuresllc.gmattoolkit&fl=events

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Nonprofit, Entrepreneurship
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 56

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: You know you have been studying to hard for the GMAT when... [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2011, 09:44
Hahah, in the mundane world of GMAT I love that I can laugh at something GMAT related!

"Only by going too far, can one find out how far one can go."

--T.S. Elliot

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 37 [1] , given: 0

Re: You know you have been studying to hard for the GMAT when... [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2011, 14:37
This post received
KUDOS
Edited # 5

Also, another one:

You find dressing up to be an impossible task because it is no longer about choosing between 5 shirts and 5 pants, it's choosing among 25 different ways in which you can pair them.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 13

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: You know you have been studying to hard for the GMAT when... [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2011, 18:57
Great post. Sometime I see myself doing those things.

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Manager
Manager
Schools: Ross
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 32

Re: You know you have been studying to hard for the GMAT when... [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2011, 17:03
5) You make it a point to include at least one modifier and one parallel structure in every email you send at work.

6) Someone tells you he enjoys things LIKE x, y , z and you immediately correct him by saying ' I believe you meant, SUCH AS x, y, z

When I was preparing for GMAT, I was scanning every email I wrote for SC errors before clicking send.

Kudos for the post.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: You know you have been studying too hard for the GMAT when.. [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2011, 03:15
Awesome!!! "Manhattan" stuff killed me :)
Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton..:)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 14

Re: You know you have been studying too hard for the GMAT when.. [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2011, 07:22
great post ..kudos to you..:)

" What [i] do is not beyond anybody else's competence"- warren buffett
My Gmat experience -http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-710-q-47-v-41-tips-for-non-natives-107086.html

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

Re: You know you have been studying too hard for the GMAT when.. [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2011, 18:46
Haha, that's hilarious. I've actually done #7... who said you can't incorporate flax seed, fish oil, and blueberries into your daily consumption? :-D
Manager
Manager
WE 1: Deloitte 3 yrs
WE 2: Prok going on

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 2

Re: You know you have been studying too hard for the GMAT when.. [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2011, 21:13
ha ha :D I like the one about boss's strategy :P

Akhil Mittal

I have not failed. I've just found 10000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

If my post was helpful to you then encourage me by your kudos :)

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 6

Re: You know you have been studying too hard for the GMAT when.. [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2011, 01:20
caught in more than 1 point! :P

MGMAT CAT 1 - 710 (Q44 / V42)
MGMAT CAT 2 - 610 (Q44 / V31)
MGMAT CAT 3 - 660 (Q46 / V34)
MGMAT CAT 4 - 680 (Q47 / V35) [incl AWA]
MGMAT CAT 5 - 730 (Q49 / V40) [incl AWA / i knew a few questions .. 1 in Quant & 2 in Verbal]
MGMAT CAT 6 - 730 (Q50 / V40) [no repeats .. lucky me :)]
GMAT CAT 1 retake - 650 (Q45 / V35) [if somebody could tell me what went wrong .. i'd be happy -.-]
GMAT CAT 2 retake - 740( Q49 / V41)
GMAT CAT 1 quant retake (Q49) [only knew 3-4 questions, did 2 of them wrong]

G-DAY: March 4th

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Other
GMAT 1: Q48 V35

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 3

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: You know you have been studying too hard for the GMAT when.. [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2011, 08:10
Great post, thank you so much.
Re: You know you have been studying too hard for the GMAT when..   [#permalink] 28 Jan 2011, 08:10