Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 03:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

About work experience in the application?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 115

Reviews Badge
About work experience in the application? [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2011, 10:33
I am applying to a Business School in my area this fall for one of their Master of Science Programs. The school needs a 550-600 on the GMAT for a sure admit and a couple of years of work exp. I have my work experience in place but I quit my job a year back for personal reasons/family. This is when I decided to take the GMAT and pursue Graduate Studies right away instead of searching a job. Since I left my job, I'm pursuing Volunteer Work regularly , twice a week full-time. This is mainly in Administrative capacity. Should I go ahead and include this in my resume? Also, Can I count this one year as work-ex too or does this come into Extra - curriculars?

I'm not sure if this is the right sub-forum. Moderators: I apologize if I am in the wrong place, you may move my thread where appropriate.

Thank You
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 32 [1] , given: 3

Re: About work experience in the application? [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2011, 14:00
This post received
KUDOS
My personal, non-expert opinion is that volunteering is not work, by it's nature. Most schools have an optional essay portion where you can explain your situation and I would be sure to succinctly outline why you made the choices you did and how it will hopefully help, not hinder, your success.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
Stacy Blackman Representative
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 0

Re: About work experience in the application? [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2011, 11:56
Expert's post
heygirl,

The volunteering experience you have should be placed under your extracurriculars, and not under your work experience. With regards to whether it should be on your resume, if you feel comfortable discussing your volunteer experiences and what you learned, then you may want to consider putting this on your resume.

I hope this was of help.

Best,

Conrad and the Stacy Blackman Team

Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: http://stacyblackman.com/contact

Stacy Blackman | Stacy Blackman Consulting Inc | http://www.StacyBlackman.com | +1 323.934.3936
MBA blogger, US News and Author, The MBA Application Roadmap

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Reviews Badge
Re: About work experience in the application? [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2011, 11:59
uprightcitizen wrote:
My personal, non-expert opinion is that volunteering is not work, by it's nature. Most schools have an optional essay portion where you can explain your situation and I would be sure to succinctly outline why you made the choices you did and how it will hopefully help, not hinder, your success.

Thanks. Yes, I should make use of it in the essay or perhaps in the extra curriculars.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Reviews Badge
Re: About work experience in the application? [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2011, 12:01
StacyBlackman wrote:
heygirl,

The volunteering experience you have should be placed under your extracurriculars, and not under your work experience. With regards to whether it should be on your resume, if you feel comfortable discussing your volunteer experiences and what you learned, then you may want to consider putting this on your resume.

I hope this was of help.

Best,

Conrad and the Stacy Blackman Team

Yes, I do learn a few things from my volunteer work and I would want to put it there. I"ll add it in the extra curriculars then!. Thanks.
Re: About work experience in the application?   [#permalink] 23 Feb 2011, 12:01