Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 06:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Young Applicant

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Sustainability
GMAT 1: 650 Q43 V37
GPA: 3.71
WE: Sales (Other)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Young Applicant [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2013, 07:02
I am a 23 (24 in 1 month) year old white male, looking to matriculate in fall 2013.

I have 13 months FT work experience (17 at time of enrollment) as an inside sales representative for a building materials corporation, where I manage all operations of my particular sales office.

Graduated with 3.7 GPA from a 2nd tier national university.

650 GMAT

Extracurriculars include camp counselor for children and people with disabilities, Career Fair Ambassador at my University, Intramural team captain, Finance Club etc.

My short list of schools:
Virginia Tech
University of Alabama
University of Miami (FL)
University of Tennessee

What do you think my chances of acceptance are at these schools? Also, can you recommend any other schools to apply to? (Prefferably with name recognition)

I have been deterred from applying to some schools (USC-Moore, Rutgers, etc) because of their 2 year W/E minimum. Is this strictly enforced by most schools or would it be worth applying ?

Thanks.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: Young Applicant [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2013, 05:26
Expert's post
You will need to make a compelling case for why you need an MBA now after only a year of working. Why is this degree essential Now? What is the career path that you hope to pursue post-MBA that makes the degree necessary at this point in time? Can you expand upon this answer?

Better chances of acceptance now would also come with:
1- Increasing your GMAT score
2- Also with the extracurriculars have you just been a participant or did you start an initiative, take strong leadership roles, do something outstanding. Can you expand upon this answer as well?
3- Your recommendations will need to speak to your maturity at such a young age, and paint a picture for why the recommender sees the MBA as necessary for your goals now. I would start thinking about who will write a recommendation with a focus on this aspect.

People get accepted with less work experience, but their candidacy must compel the AdCom to accept than now.You might also look at Pepperdine's Graziado business school. They do accept one-year of work experience and have a strong regional brand name.

Best of luck.

Courtney Jane
Veritas Prep | Admissions Consultant

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews