Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 14:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Young Applicant, Entrepreneurship

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Director
Director
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Young Applicant, Entrepreneurship [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2007, 00:47
Hi,

I was wondering whether I should strengthen anything in my profile. In particular, I don't have any official post-graduate work experience (given that I just graduated), but I have tremendous work experience during University as a result of my Universities cooperative education program. I'm frustrated however, as most US Universities, in particular, Stanford, consider my 4-month full-time work terms as mere "internships", which is quite insulting in my opinion (working 12 hours a day, in significant responsibility positions, for 4 months... is not an "internship"). Anyways, here is my profile:

Sex: M
Nationality: Polish, Canadian
Undergrad Degree/GPA: Bachelor of Mathematics (Honours Joint Combinatorics & Optimization and Computer Science), 2.7
GMAT: 750 (50/41, written once).
Work Experience: 2 years-- Startup (senior developer, 4 months, eventually bought out), PhD-level Research (4 months, in USA), Startup (senior developer), Morgan Stanley (Intern for 4 months), my own Consulting business (had 4 developers and dealt with clients-- entirely on my own). Also extensive experience in startups on the side. I would actually say I have 3-4 years in "work" experience, as I've done extensive startups during University.
Extras: Competitive Hammer Thrower and Olympic Weightlifter (aiming for 2012/2016 Olympics), fluent in 5 languages (English, German, Polish, Russian, French, working on Serbian, and also know some Cantonese), enjoy reading classical literature and military history, travelling, and working with the homeless (volunteer at soup kitchen).

I also may do a stint in the Polish Reserves sometime soon, 4 months, as a 2nd Lt in the Rocket Artillery Corps-- I'm debating whether to skip this and apply right away or do this and apply later.

Oh, I'm going to apply to:

- Stanford
- Berkeley (I know Berk likes older people with more work experience)
- INSEAD (They like Waterloo grads)
- MIT
- London Business School (Come on, it's London)
- McGill (sigh... it's Montreal)

Debating also applying to Chicago (I hear they're trying to get more <25 year olds?? Also read that they're Entrepreneurship program is great, and they have AWESOME exchanges around the world).

My main focus is going to be Entrepreneurship. I have no interest what-so-ever in IB or Consulting (I'm going to emphasize this, as 90% of B-school apps would KILL to work in I-banking...... I've already done that, have no interest in it anymore). My goal is to be a serial entrepreneur... startups. It's just VERY hard to meet the right people, who are as bright and motivated as you.

Any feedback is appreciated. I'm debating whether I should try applying for some R2's this year, or just to get a job and work for a year (I can easily get a job at Google, Microsoft, Amazon, Yahoo, etc on the West Coast).

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 317 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: Young Applicant, Entrepreneurship [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2007, 19:44
Expert's post
StartupAddict wrote:
Hi,

I was wondering whether I should strengthen anything in my profile. In particular, I don't have any official post-graduate work experience (given that I just graduated), but I have tremendous work experience during University as a result of my Universities cooperative education program. I'm frustrated however, as most US Universities, in particular, Stanford, consider my 4-month full-time work terms as mere "internships", which is quite insulting in my opinion (working 12 hours a day, in significant responsibility positions, for 4 months... is not an "internship"). Anyways, here is my profile:

Sex: M
Nationality: Polish, Canadian
Undergrad Degree/GPA: Bachelor of Mathematics (Honours Joint Combinatorics & Optimization and Computer Science), 2.7
GMAT: 750 (50/41, written once).
Work Experience: 2 years-- Startup (senior developer, 4 months, eventually bought out), PhD-level Research (4 months, in USA), Startup (senior developer), Morgan Stanley (Intern for 4 months), my own Consulting business (had 4 developers and dealt with clients-- entirely on my own). Also extensive experience in startups on the side. I would actually say I have 3-4 years in "work" experience, as I've done extensive startups during University.
Extras: Competitive Hammer Thrower and Olympic Weightlifter (aiming for 2012/2016 Olympics), fluent in 5 languages (English, German, Polish, Russian, French, working on Serbian, and also know some Cantonese), enjoy reading classical literature and military history, travelling, and working with the homeless (volunteer at soup kitchen).

I also may do a stint in the Polish Reserves sometime soon, 4 months, as a 2nd Lt in the Rocket Artillery Corps-- I'm debating whether to skip this and apply right away or do this and apply later.

Oh, I'm going to apply to:

- Stanford
- Berkeley (I know Berk likes older people with more work experience)
- INSEAD (They like Waterloo grads)
- MIT
- London Business School (Come on, it's London)
- McGill (sigh... it's Montreal)

Debating also applying to Chicago (I hear they're trying to get more <25 year olds?? Also read that they're Entrepreneurship program is great, and they have AWESOME exchanges around the world).

My main focus is going to be Entrepreneurship. I have no interest what-so-ever in IB or Consulting (I'm going to emphasize this, as 90% of B-school apps would KILL to work in I-banking...... I've already done that, have no interest in it anymore). My goal is to be a serial entrepreneur... startups. It's just VERY hard to meet the right people, who are as bright and motivated as you.

Any feedback is appreciated. I'm debating whether I should try applying for some R2's this year, or just to get a job and work for a year (I can easily get a job at Google, Microsoft, Amazon, Yahoo, etc on the West Coast).

StartupAddict,

Impressive stuff. Your only 'negative' is your age. That is, you've done more for your age than most of your peers but most B-schools will still probably want to see how it all plays out. I would actually recommend that you get that Google etc. job if it would be easy for you to do so. It would only enhance an already fairly impressive profile. Not sure why you are in a hurry to get the MBA. If you can wait, your profile will only get stronger and all the schools you listed will only become more doable (not that they'd be impossible now). Chicago would probably be a good school to add to your list, as would perhaps Wharton or Michigan. But since you have so much going for you and it will only get better I would advise to wait and aim for those programs next year at the earliest.

Soup kitchen work is commendable, but you could deepen your community profile by finding a *leadership* role.

Good luck,

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog