Joined: 26 Jun 2011
, given: 0
Young CPA - Please Evaluate, Thanks!! [#permalink]
05 Jul 2011, 05:13
My Profile: 24 years old (25/26 at time of admittance), Male
- Bachelor in Accounting, 3.7GPA from Marshall University (run-of-the-mill state school)
- I am currently studying for the GMAT. Judging by practice exams, my conservative score prediction is 650 up to possibly 690. I know this will significantly impact your evaluation of my profile, but I do not want to make the GMAT until I am very confident that I won't come in at my lower range (650).
- I'm a Senior Auditor at a regional accounting firm (aka, unheard of). Although my firm is small (50 professionals), it is the 4th largest in my state (WV) and I have worked with large privately held corporations in the coal and manufacturing industries, including the largest privately held coal corporation by reserves in the mid-Atlantic U.S., as well as manufacturers with operations across the Eastern U.S., China, Australia and South America. I have also worked with our largest bank client that also happens to be publicly traded. I'll have had 2.5 years of experience when I apply in summer of next year (2012)
I have all the standard auditor experience (audits as well as comps, reviews, projections) and I have also worked directly with foreign translation of Chinese subsidiary financial statements. My firm is very non-traditional, and as such, I have not been as limited in my ability to gain more responsibility simply by working hard.
I have been "auditor-in-charge" of various audit engagements, dealing face to face with CEO's and CFO's of mid-sized ($200-500+mm in revenue) corporations. I have also been a team member of our Business Valuation group and taken part in multiple valuations, although I do not possess the CVA or CBV certifications.
- In college, I was the Treasurer of my Beta Alpha Psi accounting fraternity. I also spoke at our regional conference competition and was awarded 2nd place, only behind NYU. During my time in BAP, I also volunteered for the United Way to prepare tax returns for low income individuals and families.
- I have no patents or publications, however, I am a Certified Public Accountant, and the youngest CPA in my firm.
- I am a recreational distance runner and have successfully completed a marathon.
- My target schools are solid 2nd tier schools, with some 1st tier schools thrown in as my long shots: Target schools are Vanderbilt and Wake Forest. Long shot schools are UNC and Duke. Safety school is OSU.
--------I'm confident in my GPA, and I'm confident in my ability to perform at least on par on the GMAT, my big worry is that my firm is not a national name.