Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Nov 2014, 17:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 80 [0], given: 7

Young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2012, 10:43
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

73% (01:30) correct 27% (01:02) wrong based on 29 sessions
947. Young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to maintain good eating habits caused by the desire to be as thin as possible.
(A) Young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to maintain good eating habits caused by the desire to be as thin as possible.
(B) Good eating habits sometimes fail to be maintained by young female ballet dancers and gymnasts caused by desiring to be as thin as possible.
(C) Because they desire to be as thin as possible, good eating habits are sometimes not maintained by young female ballet dancers and gymnasts.
(D) Because they desire to be as thin as possible, young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to maintain good eating habits.
(E) Young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to maintain good eating habits because they desire to be as thin as possible.

The Best Way to Keep me ON is to give Me KUDOS !!!
If you Like My posts please Consider giving Kudos

Shikhar

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 80 [0], given: 7

Re: *****Young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2012, 10:44
How to choose between D and E ????

The Best Way to Keep me ON is to give Me KUDOS !!!
If you Like My posts please Consider giving Kudos

Shikhar

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.69
WE: Analyst (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 26 [1] , given: 13

Re: *****Young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2012, 21:33
This post received
KUDOS
shikhar wrote:
How to choose between D and E ????

Young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to maintain good eating habits because they desire to be as thin as possible.

Answer choice E is wrong because "they" can refer to either "young female ballet dancers and gymnasts" or "good eating habits." It is ambiguous.

Because they desire to be as thin as possible, young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to maintain good eating habits.

Answer choice D above does not have the ambiguity problem because the first clause modifies "young female ballet dancers and gymnasts" so the "they" is known to refer to "young female ballet dancers and gymnasts"
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 108 [0], given: 31

Re: *****Young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2012, 22:02
Young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to maintain good eating habits caused by the desire to be as thin as possible.
(A) Young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to maintain good eating habits caused by the desire to be as thin as possible.
(B) Good eating habits sometimes fail to be maintained by young female ballet dancers and gymnasts caused by desiring to be as thin as possible.
--> passive

(C) Because they desire to be as thin as possible, good eating habits are sometimes not maintained by young female ballet dancers and gymnasts.
-->passive

(D) Because they desire to be as thin as possible, young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to maintain good eating habits.
--> here THEY correctly modifies dancers/ gymnasts
CORRECT
(E) Young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to maintain good eating habits because they desire to be as thin as possible.
--> THEY ambiguous

Practice Practice and practice...!!

If my reply /analysis is helpful-->please press KUDOS
If there's a loophole in my analysis--> suggest measures to make it airtight.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 7

Re: Young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2012, 02:14
In choice -E

I understand that they is ambiguous ,but contextually its refer to "Young female ballet dancers and gymnasts" .

Is not we contextually decide on Pronoun "Antecedent"?

Any other reason to eliminate -E

Please suggest?
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 46

Kudos [?]: 456 [0], given: 249

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2012, 02:27
vishu1414 wrote:
In choice -E

I understand that they is ambiguous ,but contextually its refer to "Young female ballet dancers and gymnasts" .

Is not we contextually decide on Pronoun "Antecedent"?

Any other reason to eliminate -E

Please suggest?

a good reason to judge pronoun-antecedent relationship is context and Proximity.
Here, good eating habits is more close so 'they' than to Young female ballet dancers and gymnasts creating the ambiguity .

Whereas in D there is no doubt that 'they' refers to young ballet dancers & gymnasts

Hope this helps

How to CHOOSE your Business School
Thanks = Kudos. Kudos are appreciated

Rules for posting on the verbal forum
When you post a question Pls. Provide its source & TAG your questions
Avoid posting from unreliable sources such as 1000 series.

Re: Young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to   [#permalink] 22 Dec 2012, 02:27