Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 02:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
WE 1: 4 years Tech
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 149

GMAT Tests User
Re: Young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2010, 04:26
ugimba wrote:
izing wrote:
Young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to maintain good eating habits caused by the desire to be as thin as possible.

A) Young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to maintain good eating habits caused by the desire to be as thin as possible.
B) Good eating habits sometimes fail to be maintained by young female ballet dancers and gymnasts caused by desiring to be as thin as possible.
C) Because they desire to be as thin as possible, good eating habits are sometimes not maintained by young female ballet dancers and gymnasts.
D) Because they desire to be as thin as possible, young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to maintain good eating habits.
E) Young female dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to maintain good eating habits because they desire to be as thin as possible.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Kaplan says answer is D, I think the answer is E. Here's what Kaplan has to say, which I don't understand:
The modifier is misplaced here. What is caused by the desire to be as thin as possible? Not good eating habits, though that's the impression you could get from (A), and not the ballet dancers and gymnasts, though that's the impression you could get from (B). And who or what desires to be as thin as possible? Not good eating habits, though you could get that impression from (C) or (E), both of which use the passive voice unnecessarily and confusingly. The answer is (D), in which pronoun reference and the placement of modifiers is perfectly clear.

A side question: do posting this information here for discussion break the copyright law? I suppose not, as I am not reproducing or distributing the content, rather putting just a question up for discussion.

My Pick is D.

'they' in D refers to young athletes , but 'they' in E can refer to 'eating habits ' also. this 'they' in E is ambiguous.

Indeed I am having a very bad day today.Got a veritas prep challebge CR wrong and now this.
Because is a subordinate clause ,the antecedent of a pronoun in a subordinate clause has to refer to the subject of the preceding clause structurally.

My Post Invites Discussions not answers
Try to give back something to the Forum.I want your explanations, right now !
Please let me know your opinion about the Chandigarh Gmat Centrehttp://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-experience-at-chandigarh-india-centre-111830.html

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
WE 1: 4 years Tech
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 149

GMAT Tests User
Re: Young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2010, 04:32
boeinz wrote:
E looks fine but when it is compared to D (which is 100% clear), 'they' in 'E' can refer to habits, although logically, no one would think so.

The Because clause is a verb modifier and a verb modifier need not be close close to the verb it modifies

My Post Invites Discussions not answers
Try to give back something to the Forum.I want your explanations, right now !
Please let me know your opinion about the Chandigarh Gmat Centrehttp://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-experience-at-chandigarh-india-centre-111830.html

1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 30 [1] , given: 41

GMAT Tests User
Re: Young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2010, 04:48
This post received
KUDOS
Young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to maintain good eating habits caused by the desire to be as thin as possible.

D) Because they desire to be as thin as possible, young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to maintain good eating habits.
E) Young female dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to maintain good eating habits because they desire to be as thin as possible.

Let me try with two contenders

( D ) doesnt create any confusion as far as Pronoun " They " is concerned, it can very easily be inferred that "THEY" refers to Young female.......

( E ) In this option, one may confuse that THEY refers to the eating habits and not the young female.....

The crux is to understand the construction of any sentence while evaluating the given answer choices rather than choose answer choice on the basis of implied meaning or the implied logical reasoning of the sentence.

hope this helps

http://www.gmatpill.com/gmat-practice-test/

Amazing Platform

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2010, 05:29
E states "Young female dancers" instead of "young female ballet dancers". Easily out. D is right

Nothing is free.. You 've to earn it!!!

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2010, 06:22
hirendhanak wrote:

Let me try with two contenders

( D ) doesnt create any confusion as far as Pronoun " They " is concerned, it can very easily be inferred that "THEY" refers to Young female.......

( E ) In this option, one may confuse that THEY refers to the eating habits and not the young female.....

The crux is to understand the construction of any sentence while evaluating the given answer choices rather than choose answer choice on the basis of implied meaning or the implied logical reasoning of the sentence.

hope this helps

This explanation is best. D and E are obviously the ones that people are choosing between (me included) however, as crazy as it looks, "they" could have possibly been referring to the eating habits. Because of this possibility, as crazy as it looks, it simply could not be the answer. I try to always think about the GMAT test creators when I see questions like this. Although questions may be tough, they are not going to have any answers that could be that controversial or contended. If there is even a distinct possibility that a word like "they" could be referring to more than one thing, it really can't be the correct answer.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 12

Re: Young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2010, 07:18
I was down to D and E, eventually I picked D, because nearest possible antecedent for THEY, was eating habits, which are not intended. Thus D.
admittedly, E ( apart from using they) is clearer than D.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 35

GMAT Tests User
Re: Young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2010, 07:52
urgh.. yes this is sooo GMAC question.
I am at work -can't point to the question- but there is an exact type question in OG12.

redoing OG over and over again is the correct way to go for SC!
Manager
Manager
Schools: Admitted: IESE($$),HEC, RSM,Esade
WE 1: 3.5 years international
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 61 [0], given: 18

GMAT Tests User
Re: Young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2010, 07:57
izing wrote:

(A) Young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to maintain good eating habits caused by the desire to be as thin as possible.
(B) Good eating habits sometimes fail to be maintained by young female ballet dancers and gymnasts caused by desiring to be as thin as possible.
(C) Because they desire to be as thin as possible, good eating habits are sometimes not maintained by young female ballet dancers and gymnasts.
(D) Because they desire to be as thin as possible, young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to maintain good eating habits.
(E) Young female dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to maintain good eating habits because they desire to be as thin as possible.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OE
Kaplan says answer is D, I think the answer is E. Here's what Kaplan has to say, which I don't understand:
The modifier is misplaced here. What is caused by the desire to be as thin as possible? Not good eating habits, though that's the impression you could get from (A), and not the ballet dancers and gymnasts, though that's the impression you could get from (B). And who or what desires to be as thin as possible? Not good eating habits, though you could get that impression from (C) or (E), both of which use the passive voice unnecessarily and confusingly. The answer is (D), in which pronoun reference and the placement of modifiers is perfectly clear.

A side question: do posting this information here for discussion break the copyright law? I suppose not, as I am not reproducing or distributing the content, rather putting just a question up for discussion.

I choose D and then I read the OA. I agree with Kaplan that the answer is D because E is missing the word "ballet" after female which changes the meaning of the original sentence. So, E cannot be the answer.
A is wong because it wordier and the wrong use of the subordinator. We prefer "because" in place of "caused by". "Caused by" is same as "due to". Because is the coorect subordinator here.
B is wrong because the sentence is a fragment as it is missing the verb "are" in the first part.
C is icoorect because of wrong use of modifier. Its just awkward.
E is incorrect because it misses the word "ballet". Otherwise, it would have been the best answer.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2010, 11:20
D is orrect because of modifier placement
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

Re: Young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2010, 20:13
Dear Friends
Its a difficult between D and E even I chose E.Not convinced with the reasoning that THEY in E refers to habbits.THEY is preceded by because a conjunction so they must refer to the subjects i.e dancers and gymnansts.......................Not convinced with D.Please help.

Kingfisher
The king of good times and a companion in bad ones......

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 51

GMAT Tests User
Re: Young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2010, 05:15
Between D and E, D looks much better.
In E, the pronoun "They" looks ambiguious.

Cheers!
Ravi
Manager
Manager
Schools: ISB - Co 2013
WE 1: IT Professional since 2006
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 101 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: Young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2010, 05:26
I outrightly rejected 'D' (as well as 'C') because it started with 'Because'.
'B' is not active voice.
Was down to 'A' and 'E', but former does not make clear whether "good eating habits" are caused by "the desire to be as thin as possible" or "failure to maintain" them is caused by the "desire to be as thin as possible".
Though 'E' missed the word 'Ballet', i was willing to live with it.

Clearly, never even got close.

Respect,
Vaibhav

PS: Correct me if I am wrong.

Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 3

Re: Young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2010, 19:27
Thanks for the explaination. Even I chose E and now I know why it is wrong. Thanks!!!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 70

Re: Young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2010, 04:42
(D) Because they desire to be as thin as possible, young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to maintain good eating habits.
(E) Young female dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to maintain good eating habits because they desire to be as thin as possible.

Is it possible that option E does not have word ballet, therefore it is wrong. Can anybody confirm it?
Retired Moderator

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 41

GMAT Tests User
Re: Young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2010, 05:16
amma4u wrote:
urgh.. yes this is sooo GMAC question.
I am at work -can't point to the question- but there is an exact type question in OG12.

redoing OG over and over again is the correct way to go for SC!

You could surely be right in your approach of doing OG 12 again and again... but i would like to share my experience , may be someone would benefit at the cost of my experience :)

I did the same with OG 10.. kept on studying the same again and again... but trust me it doesn't improve actual efficiency of SC much.... it just improved the accuracy of doing SC problems of OG 10 ( in my case ) only.

Later on, i decided to use additional resources for a few days with daily revision of fundamentals and started using OG 11 for evaluating my actual efficiency e.g doing some 15/20 questions with difference of 2 days.

I repeat that your approach is not at all wrong ( nothing to offend on your approach ) , but the later approach adopted helped me in evaluating my SC skills overall not only with OG 10 only.

all the best

Amazing Platform

Retired Moderator

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 41

GMAT Tests User
Re: Young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2010, 05:20
niraj92 wrote:

Is it possible that option E does not have word ballet, therefore it is wrong. Can anybody confirm it?

No, it has nothing do with ballet only.

Amazing Platform

Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 65

Kudos [?]: 275 [0], given: 109

GMAT Tests User
Re: Young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2011, 14:22
+1 D

Its pronouns are not ambiguous.

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

VP
VP
Affiliations: PMI,QAI Global,eXampleCG
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 135 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: Young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2011, 20:51
In D they doesn't have a clear antecedent.
E is crystal clear.Hence OA.

Visit -- http://www.sustainable-sphere.com/
Promote Green Business,Sustainable Living and Green Earth !!

Director
Director
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 51

GMAT Tests User
Re: Young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail [#permalink] New post 18 May 2011, 01:01
i think E is not incorrect for a reason like pronoun ambiguity.
had D not been there E would have been the answer. But D is more precise than E

What is of supreme importance in war is to attack the enemy's strategy.

Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 10-21-2011

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: Young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2011, 01:44
Quote:

(A) Young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to maintain good eating habits caused by the desire to be as thin as possible.
(B) Good eating habits sometimes fail to be maintained by young female ballet dancers and gymnasts caused by desiring to be as thin as possible.
(C) Because they desire to be as thin as possible, good eating habits are sometimes not maintained by young female ballet dancers and gymnasts.

Answer: D

How I see it is........

In GMAT, it is okay to begin a sentence with 'because'. Since this question has two options beginning with 'because', there is a high chance the question is trying to test your knowledge regarding starting a sentence with 'because'. We bear this in mind.

First strike: it should be 'you fail ......because...' ; 'your failure ...is caused by...'.
Both option A and B have 'fail...caused by...' ---> eliminate A and B.

Second strike: misplaced modifier in C. 'young female ballet dancers' should come after comma. ---> eliminate C

Third Strike: Between D and E, I would have gone for E if I had not kept this in mind.

As a check, the causality does seem to be more clearly stated in D than it is in E.

So, answer: D :)

"The best day of your life is the one on which you decide your life is your own. No apologies or excuses. No one to lean on, rely on, or blame. The gift is yours - it is an amazing journey - and you alone are responsible for the quality of it. This is the day your life really begins." - Bob Moawab

Re: Young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail   [#permalink] 02 Sep 2011, 01:44