Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 13 Jul 2014, 02:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 25

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2011, 03:27
If there is no typo, then is NOT E changing the meaning since it talks about 'young female dancers' while all other options have an 'young female ballet dancers'? Can we limit/expand scope of a statement?
I hope I am not thinking too much! IMO D!

Working towards a goal...
V.

Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 07-16-2012
GPA: 3.4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 25

Reviews Badge
Re: Young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2011, 08:08
I took about 5 min to decide between D and E and selected D. In D modifing clause is attached to the noun it modify

-------Analyze why option A in SC wrong-------

Manager
Manager
Schools: IIM, ISB, & XLRI
WE 1: B.Tech (Information Technology)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 5

Re: Young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2011, 08:40
izing wrote:
Young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to maintain good eating habits caused by the desire to be as thin as possible.

(A) Young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to maintain good eating habits caused by the desire to be as thin as possible.
(B) Good eating habits sometimes fail to be maintained by young female ballet dancers and gymnasts caused by desiring to be as thin as possible.
(C) Because they desire to be as thin as possible, good eating habits are sometimes not maintained by young female ballet dancers and gymnasts.
(D) Because they desire to be as thin as possible, young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to maintain good eating habits.
(E) Young female dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to maintain good eating habits because they desire to be as thin as possible.

[Reveal] Spoiler: OE
Kaplan says answer is D, I think the answer is E. Here's what Kaplan has to say, which I don't understand:
The modifier is misplaced here. What is caused by the desire to be as thin as possible? Not good eating habits, though that's the impression you could get from (A), and not the ballet dancers and gymnasts, though that's the impression you could get from (B). And who or what desires to be as thin as possible? Not good eating habits, though you could get that impression from (C) or (E), both of which use the passive voice unnecessarily and confusingly. The answer is (D), in which pronoun reference and the placement of modifiers is perfectly clear.

A side question: do posting this information here for discussion break the copyright law? I suppose not, as I am not reproducing or distributing the content, rather putting just a question up for discussion.

'D' - 1.29 mins:-D
This is a tricky question :-) I was confused between A and D but finally chose D.

(A) Young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to maintain good eating habits caused by the desire to be as thin as possible. 'habits caused by the desire to be as thin as possible' seems odd
(B) Good eating habits sometimes fail to be maintained by young female ballet dancers and gymnasts caused by desiring to be as thin as possible. Seems Good eating habits fail to maintain young female
(C) Because they desire to be as thin as possible, good eating habits are sometimes not maintained by young female ballet dancers and gymnasts. Modifier issue - Because they desire .. good eating habits
(D) Because they desire to be as thin as possible, young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to maintain good eating habits. Choose based on PoE and meaning
(E) Young female dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to maintain good eating habits because they desire to be as thin as possible. 'They' could have multiple antecedents Habits or Dancers and Gymnasts'

GMAT is an addiction and I am darn addicted

Preparation for final battel:
GMAT PREP-1 750 Q50 V41 - Oct 16 2011
GMAT PREP-2 710 Q50 V36 - Oct 22 2011 ==> Scored 50 in Quant second time in a row :-)
MGMAT---- -1 560 Q28 V39 - Oct 29 2011 ==> Left Quant half done and continued with Verbal. Happy to see Q39 :-)

My ongoing plan: http://gmatclub.com/forum/550-to-630-need-more-to-achieve-my-dream-121613.html#p989311

Appreciate by kudos !!

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: University of Tehran
Grad GPA: 4
Concentration: Marketing
Schools: Boston U
GMAT 1: 680 Q45 V38
GPA: 4
WE: Marketing (Retail)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 57

GMAT Tests User
Re: Young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2011, 08:53
Hey hey E illegally omits "ballet". Isn't that the cause. Kaplan is testing vigilance :)

Ambition, Motivation and Determination: the three "tion"s that lead to PERFECTION.

World! Respect Iran and Iranians as they respect you! Leave the governments with their own.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 38

GMAT Tests User
Re: Young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2011, 12:18
Nice Question. Narrowed to D and E but chose E and it wrong !!!
Agree why the OA is D as it has no ambiguity in terms of pronoun reference.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
MGMAT 6 650 (51,31) on 31/8/11
MGMAT 1 670 (48,33) on 04/9/11
MGMAT 2 670 (47,34) on 07/9/11
MGMAT 3 680 (47,35) on 18/9/11
GMAT Prep1 680 ( 50, 31) on 10/11/11

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
CR notes
http://gmatclub.com/forum/massive-collection-of-verbal-questions-sc-rc-and-cr-106195.html#p832142
http://gmatclub.com/forum/1001-ds-questions-file-106193.html#p832133
http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-prep-critical-reasoning-collection-106783.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html?hilit=chineseburned

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 12

Re: Young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2011, 15:22
ugimba wrote:
izing wrote:
Young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to maintain good eating habits caused by the desire to be as thin as possible.

A) Young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to maintain good eating habits caused by the desire to be as thin as possible.
B) Good eating habits sometimes fail to be maintained by young female ballet dancers and gymnasts caused by desiring to be as thin as possible.
C) Because they desire to be as thin as possible, good eating habits are sometimes not maintained by young female ballet dancers and gymnasts.
D) Because they desire to be as thin as possible, young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to maintain good eating habits.
E) Young female dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to maintain good eating habits because they desire to be as thin as possible.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Kaplan says answer is D, I think the answer is E. Here's what Kaplan has to say, which I don't understand:
The modifier is misplaced here. What is caused by the desire to be as thin as possible? Not good eating habits, though that's the impression you could get from (A), and not the ballet dancers and gymnasts, though that's the impression you could get from (B). And who or what desires to be as thin as possible? Not good eating habits, though you could get that impression from (C) or (E), both of which use the passive voice unnecessarily and confusingly. The answer is (D), in which pronoun reference and the placement of modifiers is perfectly clear.

A side question: do posting this information here for discussion break the copyright law? I suppose not, as I am not reproducing or distributing the content, rather putting just a question up for discussion.

My Pick is D.

'they' in D refers to young athletes , but 'they' in E can refer to 'eating habits ' also. this 'they' in E is ambiguous.

+1 Thank you ugimba. Makes sense now.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2011, 20:20
+ 1 for D, 'They' in E is ambiguous.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2011, 00:23

A) Young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to maintain good eating habits caused by the desire to be as thin as possible.
B) Good eating habits sometimes fail to be maintained by young female ballet dancers and gymnasts caused by desiring to be as thin as possible.
C) Because they desire to be as thin as possible, good eating habits are sometimes not maintained by young female ballet dancers and gymnasts.
D) Because they desire to be as thin as possible, young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to maintain good eating habits.
E) Young female dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to maintain good eating habits because they desire to be as thin as possible.

1) For D & E: Because they desire to be as thin as possible, .... they fail to maintain good eating habbits? How can the desire to be thin be the reason for failing to maintain good eating habbits? What's the logic? To me, starting a sentence with because is not a problem. Rather logically the reason (Because ...) does not go with the statement. Can somebody please help? "Although" in place of "Because" would give a correct sense.

2) For E: Logically, how can eating habbits desire to be as thin as possible? If I read the sentence, I connect "they" right away with Female Dancers and Gymnasts. This is what my logic says, regardless of the placement of "they".
Missing "Ballet" from Female Ballet Dancers in E is a good reason to consider it wrong, but I need to understand how "they" can refer to eating habbits? Does not make a sense to me.

Can somebody elaborate, please?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: Young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2011, 01:30
izing wrote:

(A) Young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to maintain good eating habits caused by the desire to be as thin as possible.
(B) Good eating habits sometimes fail to be maintained by young female ballet dancers and gymnasts caused by desiring to be as thin as possible.
(C) Because they desire to be as thin as possible, good eating habits are sometimes not maintained by young female ballet dancers and gymnasts.
(D) Because they desire to be as thin as possible, young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to maintain good eating habits.
(E) Young female dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to maintain good eating habits because they desire to be as thin as possible.

Very nice question. Had gone for E initially, but now realize the subtle pronoun error.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2011, 02:30
choice D

in E, they could refer to gymnasts or ballet dancers
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 151 [0], given: 37

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2011, 11:43
Although I choose D, E is also very temping. Thank some guy with nice explanation for why E is wrong. :D

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 24

GMAT Tests User
Re: Young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2012, 22:30
Didn't get what's wrong whith A?
Director
Director
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V24
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 265 [0], given: 264

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2012, 07:20
oh E is wrong....take away...we can start the sentence with subordinate because

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.

A WAY TO INCREASE FROM QUANT 35-40 TO 47 : a-way-to-increase-from-q35-40-to-q-138750.html

Q 47/48 To Q 50 + the-final-climb-quest-for-q-50-from-q47-129441.html#p1064367

Three good RC strategies three-different-strategies-for-attacking-rc-127287.html

Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS, LBS, Wharton, Kelloggs, Booth

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 15

Re: Young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2012, 06:18
D.
Between D and E,
(D) Because they desire to be as thin as possible, young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to maintain good eating habits. Both in Subject Case. Hence correct.
(E) Young female dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to maintain good eating habits because they desire to be as thin as possible. Here, they may refer to either eating habits or young female dancers and gymnasts. Ambiguous, hence false.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 113

Re: Young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2012, 13:41
(B) Good eating habits sometimes fail to be maintained by young female ballet dancers and gymnasts caused by desiring to be as thin as possible.- Passive Voice
(C) Because they desire to be as thin as possible, good eating habits are sometimes not maintained by young female ballet dancers and gymnasts.- Misplaced Modifier error
(E) Young female dancers (Its Ballet dancers not just dancers) and gymnasts sometimes fail to maintain good eating habits because they desire to be as thin as possible.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Mccombs business school, Mays business school, Rotman Business School,

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 18

Re: Young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2012, 00:45
izing wrote:

i pick E over D. in D the pronoun 'they" has no clear referent. A and B just awkward construction i guess. intended meaning is distorted in C

some people are successful, because they have been fortunate enough and some people earn success, because they have been determined.....

please press kudos if you like my post.... i am begging for kudos...lol

Manager
Manager
Status: SLOGGING : My son says,This time Papa u will have to make it : Innocence is BLISS
WE: Sales (Energy and Utilities)

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 27

CAT Tests
Re: Young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2012, 04:14

My understanding :

A : out for usual reasons = caused by the desire.......... not a good constn
B : Caused by desiring = eliminated
C: because they................. is wrongly modifying good eating habits = eliminated

bxn D & E = somesort of cause n effect relationship

D : because OF X = Y happens

E : Y happens because of X

will go for D : because they desire.................. CORRECTLY modifies young female dancers AND Cause n Effect is logically bound.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Project Management Professional (PMP)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: Young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2012, 04:57
izing wrote:

Please go through the link
http://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/post5822.html

Best
Vaibhav

If you found my contribution helpful, please click the +1 Kudos button on the left, Thanks

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2012, 04:25
Problem with E -
How can you desire to be as thin as possible? Either you desire to become as thin as possible or remain as thin as possible......I dont know....just a random thought....
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 24

Re: Young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2012, 06:49
Sentence correction - Commandments

a) Thou shall not change the meaning of the sentence.
b) Thou shall keep the modifiers close to the subject that they are intended to modify
c) Thou shall remember that most sentences on the gmat will contain multiple errors.
d) Thou shall remember that pronoun ambiguity is sometimes very difficult to discern. Look for other errors.
c) Thou shall remember that the GMAT wants you to choose the best option. Sometimes you may find 2 options that look correct, then go with Commandment b)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
IT TAKES QUITE A BIT OF TIME AND TO POST DETAILED RESPONSES.
YOUR KUDOS IS VERY MUCH APPRECIATED

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: Young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to   [#permalink] 19 Oct 2012, 06:49