Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 19:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.65
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 52

Re: Young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2012, 08:19
bhanushalinikhil wrote:
izing wrote:
Young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to maintain good eating habits caused by the desire to be as thin as possible.

A) Young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to maintain good eating habits caused by the desire to be as thin as possible.
B) Good eating habits sometimes fail to be maintained by young female ballet dancers and gymnasts caused by desiring to be as thin as possible.
C) Because they desire to be as thin as possible, good eating habits are sometimes not maintained by young female ballet dancers and gymnasts.
D) Because they desire to be as thin as possible, young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to maintain good eating habits.
E) Young female dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to maintain good eating habits because they desire to be as thin as possible.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Kaplan says answer is D, I think the answer is E. Here's what Kaplan has to say, which I don't understand:
The modifier is misplaced here. What is caused by the desire to be as thin as possible? Not good eating habits, though that's the impression you could get from (A), and not the ballet dancers and gymnasts, though that's the impression you could get from (B). And who or what desires to be as thin as possible? Not good eating habits, though you could get that impression from (C) or (E), both of which use the passive voice unnecessarily and confusingly. The answer is (D), in which pronoun reference and the placement of modifiers is perfectly clear.

A side question: do posting this information here for discussion break the copyright law? I suppose not, as I am not reproducing or distributing the content, rather putting just a question up for discussion.

IMO, D is better than choice than E. In E, pronoun "they" is ambigious. Its the position of "they" that creates problem. However, in D, "they" has a confirmed antecedent "young female ballet dancers and gymnasts". This is because the clause "Because they desire to be as thin as possible" is a modifier clause that modifies the subject "young female ballet dancers and gymnasts". Hence "D" seems better choice.

I went for E,,,,to me,,,They is quite clearly indicating dancers and gymnasts,,,,can anyone explain the right choice D
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 1

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2012, 00:22
check that option E has the wording "Young female dancers" instead of "Young female ballet dancers" - this itself should be enough to eliminate the answer. This is an official question from GMAC, so it is deliberate rather than accidental.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 94

Re: Young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2012, 11:00
D is the right choice.
With E, Young female dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to maintain good eating habits because they desire to be as thin as possible.
The portions mentioned in red are independent clauses and when you see two independent clauses, they need to be connected by a comma followed by a connecting word (eg. for, and, nor, but, or, yet, so). Here because doesn't make sense and if this option would have been , for they desire to be as thin as possible, then the option would have been right.
Correct me if I am wrong!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 5

Re: Young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2012, 04:20
Hi All,

reason for choosing D here is that E mentions young female dancers not young female ballet dancers!!
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 441 [0], given: 249

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2012, 05:15
Young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to maintain good eating habits caused by the desire to be as thin as possible.

A) Young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to maintain good eating habits caused by the desire to be as thin as possible. good eating habits are caused by the desire to be thin?? Reverses the meaning of the sentence. Wrong
B) Good eating habits sometimes fail to be maintained by young female ballet dancers and gymnasts caused by desiring to be as thin as possible. same meaning error as A
C) Because they desire to be as thin as possible, good eating habits are sometimes not maintained by young female ballet dancers and gymnasts. they=good eating habits. wrong
D) Because they desire to be as thin as possible, young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to maintain good eating habits.
E) Young female dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to maintain good eating habits because they desire to be as thin as possible.they=good eating habits. wrong

It all about the meaning and modifier placement . so D

How to CHOOSE your Business School
Thanks = Kudos. Kudos are appreciated

Rules for posting on the verbal forum
When you post a question Pls. Provide its source & TAG your questions
Avoid posting from unreliable sources such as 1000 series.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 6

Re: Young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2012, 06:08
izing wrote:

(D) Because they desire to be as thin as possible, young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to maintain good eating habits.
(E) Young female ??? dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to maintain good eating habits because they desire to be as thin as possible.

Guess we all came down to D and E. Has anyone noticed that answer E lacks the word "ballet"??

(D) Because they desire to be as thin as possible, young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to maintain good eating habits.
(E) Young female BALLET dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to maintain good eating habits because they desire to be as thin as possible.

I believe this could also be the reason why E is wrong.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 291

Re: Young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2013, 23:51
I jus thought of this question as this way between D and E 'they' is really farther away in E (i dunno whether not mentioning ballet was a typo or not). Besides are there male ballet dancers? Is female ballet redundant?
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 670 Q39 V41
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V41
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 40

Re: Young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2013, 15:22
I chose D), because on E) the 'they' refers to good eating habits, and not the gymnasts/dancers. Is this correct logic?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2013, 02:17
'E' doesn't have the word ballet in it. That is the only reason.
SVP
SVP
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 192 [0], given: 299

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2014, 16:59
Prometoh wrote:
I also have a hard time to choose between D and E.

But in E they seems ambiguous, and pick D.

I don't know to what extent one can say that 'they' in E is ambiguous since it is obvious the habits is not a realistic antecedent. This is getting very weird my friends

In D, I didn't quite like the construction. I think that this is not a very clear question

Just my 2c

Cheers
J :)
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 9

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2014, 22:07
[quote="izing"]Young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to maintain good eating habits caused by the desire to be as thin as possible.

(A) Young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to maintain good eating habits caused by the desire to be as thin as possible.
(B) Good eating habits sometimes fail to be maintained by young female ballet dancers and gymnasts caused by desiring to be as thin as possible.
(C) Because they desire to be as thin as possible, good eating habits are sometimes not maintained by young female ballet dancers and gymnasts.
(E) Young female dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to maintain good eating habits because they desire to be as thin as possible.

The answer is D. Here, "they" refers to female dancers and gymnasts ambiguously in choice E. However, in choice D, "they" modifies the collective noun "female dancers and gymnasts" and hence there is no ambiguity.

-Anuj

Preparing for the next shot!!!

Re: Young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to   [#permalink] 14 Jul 2014, 22:07