Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 08:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Young one here looking for advice and profile check

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Young one here looking for advice and profile check [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2007, 23:39
First and foremost I just want to say that I am so excited to have found this website earlier in my life than later. I think that there is plenty that I can offer here and definitely gain some wisdom as well. Anyway, a little about myself.

I am an 21 yr old African American male that will be entering my senior year of college in the fall and currently stand at a GPA of just a 3.35. My major is Finance and I expect that GPA to be when I graduate above the 3.5 range, but not by much.

Inside my school I am very much involve. I am the treasurer of circle k, a member of habitat for humanity, joined a couple leadership group as well. Outside my church is my only method of volunteering. So I believe for the most part my extracurriculars are intact.

So with that little bit known about me, a couple questions:

Do you think I have a shot at some of the top b-schools? If so, which ones? Also, would I have a shot at getting in right after college or would you suggest working for a few years first?

This question is a little off topic but I really can't find another place to talk about it: I am also interested in a JD so of course the MBA/JD is very attractive to me. However, do you think my GPA is a little bit too low to consider getting into the top business school as well as law school?

And if you were able to go back to when you were 21 years old, is there anything that you regret doing or not doing? Basically I am just looking for all the advice I can get. Thank you in advance for all your support.

Wait one final question. What books do you recommend me picking up to study for the GMAT? Thanks. ;)
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2007, 23:45
Oh and for the record, I plan to get a 740+ on the gmat...with you the help of you guys of course. ;)
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 0

Re: Young one here looking for advice and profile check [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2007, 10:16
dalexc wrote:
First and foremost I just want to say that I am so excited to have found this website earlier in my life than later. I think that there is plenty that I can offer here and definitely gain some wisdom as well. Anyway, a little about myself.

I am an 21 yr old African American male that will be entering my senior year of college in the fall and currently stand at a GPA of just a 3.35. My major is Finance and I expect that GPA to be when I graduate above the 3.5 range, but not by much.

Inside my school I am very much involve. I am the treasurer of circle k, a member of habitat for humanity, joined a couple leadership group as well. Outside my church is my only method of volunteering. So I believe for the most part my extracurriculars are intact.

So with that little bit known about me, a couple questions:

Do you think I have a shot at some of the top b-schools? If so, which ones? Also, would I have a shot at getting in right after college or would you suggest working for a few years first?

This question is a little off topic but I really can't find another place to talk about it: I am also interested in a JD so of course the MBA/JD is very attractive to me. However, do you think my GPA is a little bit too low to consider getting into the top business school as well as law school?

And if you were able to go back to when you were 21 years old, is there anything that you regret doing or not doing? Basically I am just looking for all the advice I can get. Thank you in advance for all your support.

Wait one final question. What books do you recommend me picking up to study for the GMAT? Thanks. ;)

alexc,

Given your demographic profile, GPA, projected GMAT, and record of extracurricular involvement you would have a shot at top business schools. If you are truly an exceptional candidate, top B-schools will overlook your age, but they generally prefer people with at least a couple years of work experience. Which schools you target depends on your goals. Given the assets you already have, I would probably recommend working a few years first since doing so will only strengthen your odds of getting into a top school. In other words, what's the rush?

Frankly, because you are African American top B-schools and law schools will cut you some slack on GPA and test scores. I think your GPAs are good enough for top schools. I am not an expert on taking the GMAT so I can't recommend specific books. I'm sure other forums on this site can help you there. You might want to see Accepted.com's free materials on young applicants applying to B-school.

Good luck,

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter

Intern
Intern

Re: Young one here looking for advice and profile check [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2007, 13:21
Well I will be honest, I am not entirely sure of my goals. All I know that after I graduate I will probably work as a Financial Analyst somewhere for a few years. That should give me enough time to advance up the ranks and hopefully into a position of leadership. My volunteer time with my church will increase in as well which will result in the same as well. Some of things that really stick out to me is entrepreneurship and possibly investment banking. With that in mind, what schools should I have my eye on? Would seeking a JD even be worth the effort in this case? Again, thanks for your time.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 0

Re: Young one here looking for advice and profile check [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2007, 09:34
dalexc wrote:
Well I will be honest, I am not entirely sure of my goals. All I know that after I graduate I will probably work as a Financial Analyst somewhere for a few years. That should give me enough time to advance up the ranks and hopefully into a position of leadership. My volunteer time with my church will increase in as well which will result in the same as well. Some of things that really stick out to me is entrepreneurship and possibly investment banking. With that in mind, what schools should I have my eye on? Would seeking a JD even be worth the effort in this case? Again, thanks for your time.

dalexc,

Assuming you get a 700 or higher on the GMAT, for finance you could aim for aim for Wharton, Chicago, and Columbia (at the top of your list). For entrepreneurship you could target Stanford, Harvard, Wharton, and MIT (top of the list). The following schools should probably not be on your list because they don't have a track record of welcoming applicants with under a year of work experience: Kellogg, NYU, Texas, and Tuck, among others. If you want to apply to a joint MBA-JD program you will have to be able to explain to them why you need both degrees. It doesn't sound like you are sure why at this point so I can't recommend that course.

Good luck,

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter