Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Jul 2014, 02:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

YOUNG school's Applicant: Review Needed please

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Schools: Darden:Tepper:UCUIC:Kenan Flager:Nanyang:NUS:ISB:UCI Merage:Emory
WE 1: 3
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 7

YOUNG school's Applicant: Review Needed please [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2009, 09:40
Here's my profile:
Gmat: 640 {Q 49 V 30}
Planning to do mba in 2010.

Area's of interest: Marketing and Consulting.

Degree: Btech in Electronics and Instrumentation [cgp 3.9]
In India’s No1 Private Engineering College
High school: 98.3% [100 percent in math in both years]

Work: -SAP Business Intelligence Consultant for the past 2 years in India top Software firm.
-Worked on Business processes like Order to Cash, Procure to Pay , Supply Chain Management and Inventory Management.
-Represented my company in a leadership training program in MIT [Cambridge].Was the first Individual from my company to do so. [Total employees = 200,000] was the youngest and the first TCS employee to have got selected for it.
-Team Lead for a 5 member group. [After just 1 year of technical exp I was promoted to this position --a very rare occurrence in this industry]

Co-Curricular:

-Resource Manager for my Client [A group of 300 members]
-Treasurer for a Local Temple @ Hometown.
-Member of *** - an initiative to help the poor sections of Indian society
-Member of KVCP for the past 7 years - a government initiative to help the street children of Andhra Pradesh [it’s a kind family initiative ...all of us do participate in it]
-The first associate to join the Lead India program where the youth of our country join hands to encourage the people of India to use their voting rights -during the elections]
-Held many coordinator and leadership roles in my college which actually spurred me to consider a management job. [I feel I can perform better in this area.]

Having said this I know that I am weak in my work-exp. But every B school would like to look for different individuals who bring in different opinions and experiences. I would like to make a case for myself by stating “being a young guy I was able to show much needed maturity and leadership skills by taking up the above mentioned roles”. Also I do have a recommendation letter from one of the MIT lecturers on my skills. [Very well written 7 page report which explains all the positive qualities of mine].How helpful will that prove to be??

The reason why I am opting for a MBA is to change my career to management consulting. That’s what interest me .working with clients in real time and giving them solutions to better themselves. Moreover I want to have the experience in working cross cultural teams which I can’t do in my present job.

I would like you to give your feedback on this view. Also please suggest me the best B schools that are more likely to admit me considering my age and area of interest.

Second cut is the deepest cut!!!:P

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: YOUNG school's Applicant: Review Needed please [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2009, 16:04
kylexy,

The letter from the MIT lecturer may be an "extra" you can submit to the schools *in addition* to full-fledged reco letters that respond to their reco letter form, but cannot be a substitute for formal reco letters and will not be a big factor in your application.

Given your numbers and profile, consider Maryland, Michigan State, Vanderbilt, Babson, U. SoCarolina, Penn State.

Good luck,

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter