Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 08:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Younger candidates from a younger candidate point of view

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Other
Schools: University of Dallas - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 580 Q42 V27
GPA: 3.26
WE: Sales (Entertainment and Sports)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Younger candidates from a younger candidate point of view [#permalink] New post 07 May 2012, 16:11
Hello all, I just recently joined GMAT Club to get a feel for what to expect in business school. I am a young candidate, so I have been researching forums for topics regarding younger candidates and various opinions on those who have decided to pursue their MBA at a young age. However, most of the responses that I have found on these topics were from people who did not receive their MBA at a young age. Not to discredit those opinions of course, as I respect everyone's opinion. I am curious to get opinions from people who chose to pursue their MBA at a young age (25 or younger).

I would like to hear some of your experiences. The good, the bad, and the ugly. What are some disadvantages you had? Advantages? What are some difficulties you faced while in school? What ultimately led to your decision to pursue an MBA at a young age?

Thanks!

Devin Y.
University of Dallas MBA Class of 2014
Jump Rope Professional
Business Consultant, Trinidad and Tobago National Jump Rope Team

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Operations, General Management
Schools: Cornell (Johnson) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 1

Re: Younger candidates from a younger candidate point of view [#permalink] New post 08 May 2012, 07:58
imdevin567 wrote:
Hello all, I just recently joined GMAT Club to get a feel for what to expect in business school. I am a young candidate, so I have been researching forums for topics regarding younger candidates and various opinions on those who have decided to pursue their MBA at a young age. However, most of the responses that I have found on these topics were from people who did not receive their MBA at a young age. Not to discredit those opinions of course, as I respect everyone's opinion. I am curious to get opinions from people who chose to pursue their MBA at a young age (25 or younger).

I would like to hear some of your experiences. The good, the bad, and the ugly. What are some disadvantages you had? Advantages? What are some difficulties you faced while in school? What ultimately led to your decision to pursue an MBA at a young age?

Thanks!

I am also a young applicant/candidate (23 at this time) and would be very interested to hear what those who are either currently or recently pursued their MBAs at young ages have to say. Hopefully we get some good feedback.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: Q V
GPA: 2.86
WE: Analyst (Investment Banking)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Younger candidates from a younger candidate point of view [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2012, 11:49
Awesome thread idea. Currently 23 (will be 24 by Fall 2013). Will have a little over 2 years working for my dad's private equity firm by the time I hope to enter B school. I'm always nervous reading this forum about whether or not I'm too young/don't have enough W/E. Targeting the 20-30 range for B-schools :lol: Interested in how other young candidates have overcome the lack of 5+ years of W/E
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 37

Re: Younger candidates from a younger candidate point of view [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2012, 12:25
imdevin567 wrote:

Thanks!

Hey man.
I am also undergraduate like you and I will graduate at 2014. However, I am not considering doing MBA at least 3 years , optimally 4 after graduation. By that point I will have turned 26 or 27 which is I guess the average age of many applicants.
I have been researching the possibility to do my MBA very early, perhaps right after graduation or 1 one year after graduation. If you notice, I registered in this forum in 2010 , when I started my undergraduate degree. I have so far been wondering what path to take.
Almost everybody tried to convince me that an MBA straight after college is pointless. And I now realize they had a point. However, as you seem to have made your mind , I am not trying to convince you. However, given your stats , as you put it, 580 on GMAT, ~3.30 GPA, it seems you will a lot of trouble getting into a top 25 school. The very few ppl who manage to go there without at least 3 years of WE have solid GPAs and GMAT , background from a top school and solid summer internships.
Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Sustainability
Schools: Darden '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 690 Q V
GPA: 3.6

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 28

Re: Younger candidates from a younger candidate point of view [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2013, 09:00
I'm interested to hear on this from people who got in but are younger. I'm 24 but have worked for 2 Fortune 500 companies and would turn 25 two months into school. I'm worried that work experience (would have just over 3 years) is one of my weaker attributes. I've interviewed a few places and am waiting to hear back. If I get good news, I'll let you know!
Expert Post
VP
VP
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 410 [0], given: 244

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Younger candidates from a younger candidate point of view [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2013, 13:11
Expert's post
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 6

Re: Younger candidates from a younger candidate point of view [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2013, 10:40
I've talked to a few admissions directors and alumni/current students who went to MBA early. I'm an early career student as well (matriculating with ~3 years experience, age 25). What I've heard from them, for what it's worth:

- In general, it is becoming more common for MBA programs to admit students with ~3 years experience. Most admissions directors didn't even bat an eye on this one.
- A lot of the learning that happens is from other students, so work experience is still very important. If you're a younger candidate, the important part is the quality of your work experience. If you had lots of leadership opportunities and a rich experience set to draw from in your 2-3 years, then that's just as good as someone who took longer to accumulate the equivalent.
- Some young candidates do get very intimidated by their MBA peers - it's up to you to determine whether you have the self-confidence/fortitude to apply yourself in that type of environment. Some people flourish in it. Some don't.
Re: Younger candidates from a younger candidate point of view   [#permalink] 30 Apr 2013, 10:40