Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 00:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Your favourite b-school application

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [2] , given: 0

Your favourite b-school application [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2010, 12:54
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Each school I applied to has left a certain impression on me (mostly very good one), which was obviously based on many factors. However, with regards to the application process, my favourite school by far is MIT: great essay questions with reasonable word limits and the minimalist application form. They did not want to know where my mom went to college, what my salary was at each job I ever had, or which other schools I applied to. They didn't even have the EC section. The form was straightforward and easy to complete, the way it should be in my opinion.
In contrast, my least favourite application was Wharton's. I thought that their essay topics encouraged people to be excessively wordy and less to the point. The application form asked for too many details and they even have an additional essay for scholarship. I ended up not applying to Wharton because it was too time consuming and could affect the quality of my other applications.
Harvard was somewhere in the middle: good essays with low word limit, but tiring application form.

What was you most / least favourite school in terms of the essays and application?
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Booth (admitted R1), NYU (interview Mar 4), UT (withdrawn), Rice (admitted R2) plus dings at HBS, Stanford, Wharton and CBS
WE 1: Oil and gas
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 29 [1] , given: 6

Re: Your favourite b-school application [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2010, 01:15
This post received
KUDOS
Well I enjoyed making my Chicago powerpoint. Any school accepting scanned transcripts instead of asking me to fill out their stupid spreadsheet gets love from me.

By far the worst was Rice - just for the application I had to post official transcripts (from the UK, not Outer Mongolia) to a US translator for conversion to a 4.0 scale. Total cost, since I had undergrad and grad transcripts, was in excess of $600. Then I had to start thinking of which literary question best represents me and which magazine I should advertise myself in for the bizzare essay section of the application!

If I said something intelligent, it was probably by accident. But click "kudos" anyway - it will make me happy.

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Oxford
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 72 [1] , given: 5

Re: Your favourite b-school application [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2010, 08:58
This post received
KUDOS
loved oxford's app - and not just cuz i got in. the 2 essay format, with 2,000 words for the 2nd essay and a very open ended question is pretty awesome. it basically means you can't recycle other essays and have to actually sit down and think about the big picture of your application...there's really nowhere to hide in an essay like this and it gives the adcoms a much better chance to get to know you more as a person beyond your profile (i.e. gmat/gpa/resume).

i really wished the other schools' apps could've been more comprehensive like this.

overall, really hated wharton's app. the essay questions were interesting and engaging, and definitely focused on understanding the applicant as a person, rather than another profile. however, there were just too many essays. between the regular app, the lauder app, and the scholarship essays, i wrote something like 9 essays for this one application...what a nightmare. also i wasn't very fond of the insead application either, mainly because it's just prehistoric since you have to do it in acrobat and the formatting was atrocious. also it was extremely career/work experience centered, which was good for my background, but not necessarily good for others.

Oxford Round 1 - interview invite 10/30/09, admit 12/11/09, ATTENDING 2010

My Road to Oxford and INSEAD http://gmatclub.com/forum/my-road-to-oxford-sbs-and-insead-89413.html#p676253

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 36 [1] , given: 17

Re: Your favourite b-school application [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2010, 13:37
This post received
KUDOS
Favourite Overall Essay Question: UCLA's audio blog. I wrote up a pretty fun diatribe on my sense of direction and being supplanted by Google Maps and navigation systems.

Least Favourite Essay: NYU's oh-so-coy eyelash-batting "what do you like about us and New York?" essay question. Jesus, am I dating you, NYU?

Favourite Overall Application: tossup between MIT for not asking me a million background questions and the University of Chicago, for breaking it up with the slide presentation. I gave them an awesome set of slides.

Most Useful Application: Wharton, because their questions and long essays allowed me to creat a core set of arguments that I used in all my applications.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Indiana Kelley/Class of 2012/Full tuition $$
WE 1: Healthcare/Biomedical Research
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 3

Re: Your favourite b-school application [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2010, 09:50
lol @ britguy: "Then I had to start thinking of which literary question best represents me and which magazine I should advertise myself in for the bizzare essay section of the application!" :lol:

I was initially dumbstruck with Booth's Slide essay question but later figured it out. Am not the most creative guy the world has seen but I think I cooked up something... :-D

Leadership is not really about telling people what to do — a strategy that doesn't always work. It's about creating an environment where people can speak up, where we can get into debates without becoming confrontational or negative. [It's] about getting people to bring all of themselves to the table." - DuPont CEO Ellen Kullman; Kellogg '83

Expert Post
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Followers: 86

Kudos [?]: 490 [0], given: 432

Premium Member
Re: Your favourite b-school application [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2010, 12:31
Expert's post
Although I have applied to MSc programs and not an MBA, I still had to complete essays. I enjoyed HEC's essays for the MFE. The questions - about 5 in total - have a limit of 250 characters, including punctuation marks and spaces. I enjoyed the limits not because they allowed me to "get away with" writing short essays, but because it felt like I was carving out a lean machine or sculpture. I really enjoyed making my essay as compact and to the point as possible.

LSE's MSc in Finance pretty much asks two or three general questions and gives you three pages to answer them. I decided to create a self-interview, which, while fun, might not have helped me (I was turned down). I enjoyed the creative aspect of it all.

Vlerick Leuven Gent's essay questions are just lame. There are eight questions, and they're so predictable.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: Your favourite b-school application   [#permalink] 08 Apr 2010, 12:31