Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 15:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Your feedback

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Your feedback [#permalink] New post 25 May 2006, 06:56
Hi,

I am looking to apply for an MBA program beginning Fall 2007.

A quick roundup of my profile:
1. Undergrad: Mechanical Engineering from Univ. of Bombay (First class with Honors)
2. MS: Mechanical engineering (GPA: 4.0)
3. GMAT: 720
4. Working full-time at a top manufacturing firm in the US (will have more than 2 years work ex)
5. Community involvement (serving on the planning committee of an event)
6. Started a webdesigning company while I was doing my undergrad in India just because of my passion for design. It did quite well and I got a few projects (I quit it when I came to the US)
7. Worked on a research project while doing my MS
8. Know 5 languages, member of ASME
9. Work experience has given my two projects which display my leadership quality
10. Took up an economics class at a local college and received an A
11. Plans: Return to India to start a manufacturing company after working about two years in the US post-MBA. I have specific plans. Moreover, my family business is related to mechanical engineering. I do not plan to 'expand and diversify' the family business but rather, simply use the resources/infrastructure/network/contacts to build my own company
12. I am looking for training in general management and operations/manufacturing from an MBA
13. I believe I am ready as my current work experience has provided me the necessary ideas for my future
14. I think the uncommon aspects of my profile are: Dedication to mechanical engineering; the flow of my academic and professional years are very much aligned to my future goals; born and brought up in India but studied and worked in the US
15. Based on my profile, I am considering: Kellogg's (MMM), MIT, Michigan (TMI), Cornell, Yale, Darden, UCLA, Carnegie Mellon

Some quick questions for you:

1. Does my profile find favor with the schools I mentioned?
2. Do my two years of work ex (plus two internships during MS) serve as an obstacle for Kellogg's, MIT, Darden?
3. Should I consider lower ranked schools?

I would really really appreciate your inputs.

Thanks a ton!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
CEO
CEO
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 435 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 25 May 2006, 11:09
Hi,

1. It looks like you have a pretty good portfolio of schools: 2 ultra elites, 5 elites, 1 transelite.

2. Two years of work experience places you on the far left tail for many of the schools in your portfolio. UCLA and Carnegie Mellon, however, are particularly open to younger candidates.

3. Whether you should consider lower ranked schools depends in part on your goals and risk tolerance. If you feel NE and NEF schools will suit your goals and you need to minimize the probability of zero acceptances in your portfolio, I would consider lower ranked schools.

Hjort
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 26 May 2006, 04:31
Thanks Hjort for your promt reply!
I really appreciate all your help!
  [#permalink] 26 May 2006, 04:31

Your feedback

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap