Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 20:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

your opinions for my trip idea....(off topic)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: HKUST MBA - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.2
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
your opinions for my trip idea....(off topic) [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2008, 13:17
ok folks.. seems I have been hit by the traveling bug.. needless to say I have taken a long hiatus from work (I resigned) and now after frying in the sun in yucatan and ciudad de mexico.. I am off to SE Asia.. I already got my visa work done but now confused with where to go....

I am off to japan after which I go down to Bangkok (ahem u know why)

My route trip is currently
1. bangkok - phnom peng - killing fields, siem reap - angkor wat, koh phi phi - meet a friend, kuala lumpur - see petronas tower, bali - get bombed (figuratively.. not literally :P ), lombok, borneo, east timor, cebu, mindanao (hopefully abu sayaf will leave me alone) and then fly back to bangkok..

2. I have been reading on vietnam, laos and myanmar.... they seem fun, especially vietnam (cat ba island is the new upcoming spot)..but I want to know.. is there much to see in these countries???

especially since laos was carpet bombed in 70s and doesnt seem to have built back... myanmar is a basket case and vietnam ...visa is a headache...
do u have any suggestions on what to see in these countries... also is there any other place i should visit??
I leave next week and come back in may...also..anybody suggest how i can optimize my travel route and use some cheap airplanes...

I am looking at tiger air, air asia, lion air... tickets are cheap but still not that cheap for LCC...

let the ideas flow!!!
Director
Director
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 196 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: your opinions for my trip idea....(off topic) [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2008, 13:19
I'm so jealous! and I wish I could help

I've been bit by the traveling buy myself pretty hard and I'm think my first trip to SE Asia (ie backpacker's paradise) is in order. Sorry I don't have any suggestions! Let me know if you're planning a trip to Europe though :o
Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) - Class of 2010
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: your opinions for my trip idea....(off topic) [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2008, 13:38
Vietnam - Hoi An is a tailor heaven if you want suits made up!!! There is lots to see in Vietnam if you are interested in the vietnam war. Lots of war memorabilia in ho chi minh and hanoi.

Angkor Wat is amazing... I highly recommend Tra Prohm which is in the same area, temple overtaken by trees.
The killing files is just a big monument, but i do recommend going to to the torture camp in phnom penh. It's really harrowing.

If there's anything info on Japan you can ask in here. I'm reasonably well travelled (lots of SE Asia, lots of Europe, Australia, Fiji) but not so well trravelled in N America having only been to LA, Vancouver and Hawaii. Never been to S.America or Africa.
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: your opinions for my trip idea....(off topic) [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2008, 13:50
japan is my current home country.. so no sweat there.. but ya.. i cant find enuf info on cambodia..except its the world's 2nd largest mine field...and thats bout it..thanks for the tip on cambodia.. will check out those..i am planning to live by the lake or the russian czar's palace area..(forgot the khmer name for it) in phnom penh..

hmm the topic of suits was discussed a lot here...i am not so much a suit guy..though wouldnt mind trying out the local tailors :wink:
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 64

Kudos [?]: 333 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: your opinions for my trip idea....(off topic) [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2008, 14:17
don't forget your white pimp suit, avi. :P

But yeah, I think your itinerary looks fun! I will probably be doing something like that, except in China this May and June. You still be interested then? :)

GMAT Club Knowledge Vault:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/123
Haas Ambassador
http://gmatclub.com/forum/128-t62555
Kryzak's Profile:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/111-t56286
Member Essays:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/103-t50969

CEO
CEO
Followers: 55

Kudos [?]: 431 [0], given: 210

GMAT Tests User
Re: your opinions for my trip idea....(off topic) [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2008, 14:19
Those torture chambers in Phenom Penh are called S12. They are a total appetitie killer ... dont go there on an empty stomach. My own plans for an Asia visit are on hold since I am heading to the US for a week on the 29th :( Sorry Avi. However, feel free to come down to Australia, I'll show you around Sydney.
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: your opinions for my trip idea....(off topic) [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2008, 14:28
kryzak wrote:
don't forget your white pimp suit, avi. :P

But yeah, I think your itinerary looks fun! I will probably be doing something like that, except in China this May and June. You still be interested then? :)

Dude China in June???? Will u get any place to stay???? coz of the olympics.. i checked hotels in beijing and shanghai and saw everything is outrageous.. plus i wanted to see the terracota statues of xian..and all of them are on show at london..
but ya if i have some dough left over.. i will join u gladly.

bsd.. i wont come to aussie land this time but i am planning something for year end.. i want to see how the water spins in the opposite direction when u flush the toilet.. thats my main motive to see aussie land.. plus eat some kangaroo meat!!!
CEO
CEO

GMAT Tests User
Re: your opinions for my trip idea....(off topic) [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2008, 14:30
Hahahah .. stereotype tourist :P

aviroop wrote:
Dude China in June???? Will u get any place to stay???? coz of the olympics.. i checked hotels in beijing and shanghai and saw everything is outrageous.. plus i wanted to see the terracota statues of xian..and all of them are on show at london..
but ya if i have some dough left over.. i will join u gladly.

bsd.. i wont come to aussie land this time but i am planning something for year end.. i want to see how the water spins in the opposite direction when u flush the toilet.. thats my main motive to see aussie land.. plus eat some kangaroo meat!!!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 64

Kudos [?]: 333 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: your opinions for my trip idea....(off topic) [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2008, 15:32
nah, most of my trip to China will be in late April to May. June is for Hong Kong, Taiwan, and other SE Asia countries. Probably Angkor Wat... Or if you want to save that to go with me in End of April/Early May? :P

GMAT Club Knowledge Vault:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/123
Haas Ambassador
http://gmatclub.com/forum/128-t62555
Kryzak's Profile:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/111-t56286
Member Essays:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/103-t50969

Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: your opinions for my trip idea....(off topic) [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2008, 15:43
I`m off to Beijing end of March.. but for business though!!

SO avi.. how long have you been in Japan? Whereabouts are you based?
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: your opinions for my trip idea....(off topic) [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2008, 16:55
toga
on and off since april 1991.. my parents live in japan..i grew up in kobe.. 20 kms west of osaka.. i guess u r based in tokyo.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: your opinions for my trip idea....(off topic) [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2008, 17:01
yes, Tokyo, Azabu. been here 5 years now. Haven't been to kobe, so was you there when the earthquake of 1995 hit? I've been to Osaka and Kyoto though. Your Japanese must be pretty fluent?
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: your opinions for my trip idea....(off topic) [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2008, 17:06
toga,
I had left in dec 1994 for india.. when the quake hit.. my parents were in japan.. worst day of my life.. we lost our apartment.. but no lives lost.. :lol:

i was fluent in japanese but now i have completely lost my vocabulary.. no one to interact with here in LA.. my japanese friends talk to me in english since they want to learn english....
how about u ? u fluent?
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: your opinions for my trip idea....(off topic) [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2008, 17:09
not in the slightest!!! JLPT level 3. Don't have time to study now i have children, and the work environment is totally English because there are so many people insourced here from India and Bangladesh who don't speak Japanese, so it has to b English. Plus my work is globally focused rather than domestically focused, so all meetings are usually international.

I do consult for the domestic projects as well though, so get to practise a little Japanese.
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: your opinions for my trip idea....(off topic) [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2008, 17:14
holy crap??? u work in a company where they speak english in tokyo??? pray pm me and tell me what miraculous company would this be!!!!!

My sole reason i dont work in japan is my lack of language fluency....damn dude.. i am impressed...
8-)
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: your opinions for my trip idea....(off topic) [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2008, 17:23
It's the only company i know in Japan, outside of Finance (and English teaching) which doesn't require Japanese (unless you are working on domestic products).

In my team there are 4 scandinavians, 4 japanese, 2 PRC chinese, 1 Sri Lankan, 1 Filipino, 1 American, 2 Indian, 1 British.

of the 16, only about 8 of us can speak Japanese to varying levels.
CEO
CEO

GMAT Tests User
Re: your opinions for my trip idea....(off topic) [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2008, 18:17
I've got a mate in Tokyo who doesnt speak a word of Japanese - he's been there 2 years now and he works for a recruiting firm (believe it or not). So yea you CAN survive and work there without any knowledge of Japanese.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: your opinions for my trip idea....(off topic) [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2008, 18:27
bsd_lover wrote:
I've got a mate in Tokyo who doesnt speak a word of Japanese - he's been there 2 years now and he works for a recruiting firm (believe it or not). So yea you CAN survive and work there without any knowledge of Japanese.

Oh yeah i forgot about recruiters, I play football with a bunch of them every week!!. Yeah recruiters doesn't need Japanese, but it helps. The none Japanese speakers focus mainly on multi-nationals, but they are usually seeking bi-lingual candidates... minimum JLPT level 2, unless its Finance.

Which company does he work for? I have friends in lots of these companies (East-West, Wall street associates, Robert walters, Robert-half, Boyd-Moore, Hayes, peoplesoft etc. etc.)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: your opinions for my trip idea....(off topic) [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2008, 18:38
avi

i'm in Kuala Lumpur, would love to meet up with you for a drink. The petronas towers are over rated :P

But as far as I know, you can fly via AirAsia around. It's pretty good for a low cost carrier.

I have been told that myanmar is NOT very safe.. this is from friends who have visited the country, so not first hand experience.
Current Student
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 0

Re: your opinions for my trip idea....(off topic) [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2008, 21:31
hi avi,

i can give you suggestions if you want to know more about Bali (currently in my top 5 of favorite places in the world)..
from KL to bali i would suggest to fly air asia.. and if you want you can even stop by at Jakarta first.. from Bali to Lombok you can take a ferry..

things to do in Bali:
1. see the traditional dances: Kecak, Barong, etc
2. if you love beaches you have to go to these places:
-Kuta:very touristy and now is a bit dirty, but still, you have to see what they got to offer,
-Seminyak: nice beaches with posh places to sip cocktails,
-Dreamland: ultimate surf beach,
-Nusa Dua: nice beaches, with expensive hotels.. just go into any of the hotels here.. buy something from the restaurant & enjoy the scenery
3. Ultimate hangout spot: sunset at KuDeTa.. my favorite place in Bali.. crowded with hip people, really nice place & good peach bellinis
4. go to Ubud if you want to see a traditional very artsy Bali village.. where the resident painters & artists live..

well, basically I go to Bali to sleep in the beach, catch up on some reading, eat good food & party at kudeta... :) but if you wanna do hardcore touristy stuffs, you can also ask me if you need some advice..

http://missmba.blogspot.com/

Re: your opinions for my trip idea....(off topic)   [#permalink] 26 Feb 2008, 21:31