Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 13:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

your referees for business school applications

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 0

your referees for business school applications [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2006, 00:59
Hi,

Let's say you are applying for more than one business school.
Do you ask the same group of your referees to write reference reports for all applications, or do you find different referees for each school?

It may sound silly, but I'd like some answer. :)
SVP
SVP
Schools: Darden
Followers: 41

Kudos [?]: 426 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2006, 01:10
A "referee" would be the person that a reference is written about - in other words you the applicant. I believe you mean "referrer" which in this case would be the person writing a reference letter for you.

I'm asking the same 2 people to write for all of my applications (I'll need to dig up a 3rd for some places). I have alerted them that it is a very time consuming process and they have responded that they are enthusiastic about helping.

You'll need to weigh how much aggravation your referrers are willing to put up with, as well as the question of whether you have viable alternatives.
VP
VP

[#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2006, 01:19
Thanks for pointing out this mistake, but the form I downloaded from the school uses the word "referee". :shock: :shock:

And thanks for the tips on choosing the right one.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 256

Kudos [?]: 1577 [0], given: 7

Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2006, 04:13
I found 3 and played around a bit with them.

The strongest one (which ironically, I thought would be the weakest) I used for my top 3 choices except 1 (because I thought he wouldn't get it done). The second strongest one I used for my top 3, and because I know he's willing to do it, another 2 beyond that. The third and weakeast link, I used for 1 of my top choices and for the others.
SVP
SVP

[#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2006, 11:07
tennis_ball wrote:
Thanks for pointing out this mistake, but the form I downloaded from the school uses the word "referee". :shock: :shock:

That's interesting. Which one? That says a lot about a school.
VP
VP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2006, 11:13
Referee refers to someone who acts as a judge or arbitrates..like a soccer referee - an independent "judge" of the applicant in the b-school context

pelihu wrote:
tennis_ball wrote:

That's interesting. Which one? That says a lot about a school.
SVP
SVP

[#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2006, 12:49
Hmm. I have never see that meaning of the word "referee" used in that sense. In fact, I'm pretty sure that that is not an appropriate application of referee as a judge.

Here's definition #1 "# One to whom something is referred, especially for settlement, decision, or an opinion as to the thing's quality."

In the context of "reference writing", it doesn't make sense to apply a different definition of the word, especially when it's not a common (heck it's totally unknown as far as I know) use of the word.

Anyhow, the "referrer" in this case is not being asked to be a judge, they are being asked to be an advocate for the "referee". A "referee" in the sense that you are tying to apply it would, I guess, be the reader of the application, but even that would be a silly use of the term.

I'm still interested to find out which application this wording appeared in.
VP
VP

[#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2006, 18:03
Maybe it actually means the he is the one to whom the school will refer. so he is called the "referee".

In this sense, I ask the school to refer to this person, so this person is the referee.

It is from the application forms of one of the finance degrees I'm looking at.

This is from Cambridge Dictionary:

referee (SUPPORTER) UK Show phonetics
noun [C] (ALSO reference)
a person who knows you and who is willing to describe and, usually, praise you, to support you when you are trying to get a job, etc:
She gave her college tutor as her referee to the interviewer.

It is correct if explained this way, isn't it?
Or is it because of its British English usage?
SVP
SVP

[#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2006, 18:58
tennis_ball wrote:
Maybe it actually means the he is the one to whom the school will refer. so he is called the "referee".

In this sense, I ask the school to refer to this person, so this person is the referee.

It is from the application forms of one of the finance degrees I'm looking at.

This is from Cambridge Dictionary:

referee (SUPPORTER) UK Show phonetics
noun [C] (ALSO reference)
a person who knows you and who is willing to describe and, usually, praise you, to support you when you are trying to get a job, etc:
She gave her college tutor as her referee to the interviewer.

It is correct if explained this way, isn't it?
Or is it because of its British English usage?

Hmm, weird. Clearly a difference between American and British English. That refers the the exact opposite person in this situation. I wonder how that came about (from an etymology standpoint.

It's common slang usage in American English to alter the ending of a word to "ee" to make it mean the target of something. For example, that little boy was the "hitter" and that other little boy with the black eye was the "hitee". That girl was the "kisser" and that boy was the "kissee". As the American definition states, the "referee" is the person being referred to.

Those British are tricky devils.
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2006, 19:00
I have 3. 2 former managers and 1 former professor. I might bring in a CEO/mentor friend of mine. The professor and one of the former managers however have extremely quick turn around... like one day, so I like to use them but I don't want to tax them too much with all of them.
  [#permalink] 31 Oct 2006, 19:00