Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:13 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:13

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Cornell University
 Q48  V45
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: U. Chicago, Johns Hopkins, AIGAC
Own Kudos [?]: 192 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
 Q48  V45
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
PaulK wrote:
Paul,

Thanks for the detailed feedback. As I have learned that most people fall between 4-6 years on the W/E scale, I do feel like 2 years is my weakness, adding the fact that it is within a family business. If you do have any more time, I have a few more questions as I've been evaluating where I am and where I want to go:

Although I'm short on the work experience, I feel like this is the best time I will have available for a natural transition. The business is at a point where we just went through a pretty big expansion, selling/acquiring a few properties, so there will be no new major acquisition happening for a couple years, which has been one of my primary duties. Second, I'm getting married here in a couple months, and my to-be-wife will be getting her Master's in Teaching, so she will be at the point of looking for a job. With these factors combined, I feel like making a move to a new area now will fit well, b/c she can work at finding a job and I can establish myself in an MBA program. If we were to stay in Oregon, and find jobs here, we would both essentially go in knowing the jobs are just a temporary holdover.

Still, I understand that getting to the point where I can explain this to the admission people would be a challenge, and even if I do they may well still prefer the person with a high GMAT/GPA and more work experience. But, I suppose my question is, will having such a clear explanation for wanting to pursue an MBA at 24 instead of 27/28 do me any good when I am explaining the situation to the admission officers, or will they be more likely to say "that's all well and good, we still don't want you"?

To add one more question, do you have any programs besides Vanderbilt, North Carolina, Duke, UW that you recommend? I've been looking at University of Virginia and Emory, but don't know too much about the schools.

Thanks again.

PaulK,

You could certainly give both reasons--the professional and the personal--to the B-schools in your essays, but I would put the emphasis on the professional reason. It is a solid one, and one they hear alot. The personal reason seems less compelling and they probably wouldn't give it much weight since they like to think their programs are 'life-transforming' rather than just 'convenient.'

I can't suggest other schools because I don't know your post-MBA goals.
Manager
Manager
 Q48  V45
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks Paul. Again, I really appreciate the feedback.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
PaulK wrote:
Thanks Paul. Again, I really appreciate the feedback.

You're welcome.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]