Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 04:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Your thoughts please:

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Your thoughts please: [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2010, 14:50
Paul,

I just bumped into your thread and have been quite impressed (to say the least) with your comprehensive evaluation of candidate profiles and the amount of substance in your advice. I am planning to apply to the UCLA full-time (FT) MBA program this year and would like to get your quick thoughts on my admission chances.

My profile:
Indian, 32 YO (33 at matriculation)
710 GMAT (Q-85th, V-89th)
GPA: 3.3 BTech in Civil Engineering (top engineering school in India), 3.6 MS in Civil and Environmental Engineering (one of the top east coast schools)
WE: 8 years in Engineering Consulting and Project/Client Management, currently a Project Manager.
EC: Strong continuous involvement as a Lead Volunteer/Strategic Advisor devising and implementing restoration management plans for California State Parks.
Goals: ST – Plan on getting into a business consulting role and work for a few years to gain skills related to business management, analytical frameworks, and strategy and execution, and eventually gear towards my LT goal; LT (5-10 years) - Start my own Civil and Environmental Consulting firm that focuses on Sustainability.

I am a little concerned about UCLA's admitted students' average age being 28 in spite of the upper range hovering around early 40s.

I don't know if the FT boat has sailed for me or if I should start looking into the fully employed MBA program. I know I have a better chance with FEMBA and do like the fact that UCLA allows internship/recruiting for FEMBA students. However, I like FT for the experience and better opportunities to shift from engineering consulting to management consulting post-MBA.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 51

Kudos [?]: 178 [0], given: 195

Re: Your thoughts please: [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2010, 23:37
Expert's post
Diego,

Apologies in advance for what will be a shorter reply than I normally give, but I wanted to make sure to get to your question.

First, know that the "agism" angle in admissions circles has been dialed back a bit since last year. There was a lot of chatter about schools going younger in 2009, but that seems to be as much a byproduct of hiring issues (problems placing grads can sometimes lead to a preference for younger applicants who will become younger - read, cheaper - graduates) and general confusion as any true changing of the guard. Most of the top schools - including UCLA Anderson - are still very interested in compiling a complete, diverse class and that includes age.

The question of whether to pursue FEMBA or FT at Anderson comes down to two things: 1) which do you prefer? 2) which is more appropriate for you at this time. The first one is easy to answer and you have already done so. The second is more difficult. What are you really trying to achieve and which program will allow you to do it most effectively. If you believe it is the FT program, your job is to convince the admissions committee of this fact. Why an MBA? Why now? Why Anderson? Those are always key questions for any applicant, but will be extra important in your case. You will have to make the hard sell and show them that your career plan makes sense and that you will be a top flight contributor in your class.

As you may know, I am a graduate of Anderson and we specialize in helping candidates pick the right UCLA Anderson program and then forward the best possible application. If you'd like to get into this in more detail, PM me and we'll arrange a consultation.

In the meantime, know that that the boat has not sailed - you just have a little more work to do to explain your situation. Good luck and thank you for the kind words.

Respectfully,

Paul Lanzillotti

Paul Lanzillotti | Founder| About | mba@amerasiaconsulting.com | 877.866.9251

Schedule a Consultation | Twitter | Blog

Download "How To Apply" Guides | INSEAD | Columbia | Harvard | Wharton

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Your thoughts please: [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2010, 14:37
Paul,

Thanks for the quick response. Did you get my PM about the consultation?

Best Regards.