Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 05:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

YourDreamTheater's GMAT story ... ends with a 760!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Status: it won't happen in one day but it'll happen one day
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 4

Re: YourDreamTheater's GMAT story [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2010, 19:51
This post received
KUDOS
wowsie......great thread

YourDreamTheater i for one would wait for your G-sore on the 19th....atb

Life is all about ass; you're either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it, trying to get a piece of it, or behaving like one.

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 6

Re: YourDreamTheater's GMAT story [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2010, 02:49
This post received
KUDOS
Good luck. I've been following your story and can't wait to read about ur inevitable success.

Posted from my mobile device Image

Kudos if you like my post, thanks

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 63 [1] , given: 1

Re: YourDreamTheater's GMAT story [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2010, 12:35
This post received
KUDOS
Thanks intellijat and smuvern, I appreciate it!

Just took a PowerPrep exam (Exam 1). Saw a lot of repeats from OG 12 in verbal (maybe around 8?), but I didn't recognize any repeats from quant. I found it interesting how the PowerPrep software admits at the end of the exam that 1/4 of the questions were experimental and weren't counted -- and then it went on to only show you the questions that actually counted. I wasn't expecting this level of transparency!

Here's my result:

PowerPrep 1 = 780 - Q50 V47

I only got one wrong in quant (27/28 = 96%) and two wrong in verbal (28/30 = 93%) out of the questions that it actually graded, but I still got bumped down to a 50. This exam had a quant section that was a tad easier than GMATPrep, but it graded much more harshly.

I can't decide if I think the PowerPrep exam was a waste of time. I encountered a few types of questions (especially in quant and SC) that I had never seen before, so I guess it was a good thing, but there were so many verbal repeats from OG 12 that the verbal section felt a bit silly.

I think I'm going to take the other PowerPrep exam later day, but I'm going to take a break first. And I have to fill out paperwork for jury duty tomorrow morning (because everyone knows that the best time to fulfill one's civic duty is literally THE SAME WEEK as the GMAT).
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: YourDreamTheater's GMAT story [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2010, 21:59
This post received
KUDOS
awesome score. keep going. good luck !!

Welcome to my paintings website - Wholesale Art Mall.

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [1] , given: 14

Re: YourDreamTheater's GMAT story [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2010, 22:09
This post received
KUDOS
Great story! Wish you good luck!
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Re: YourDreamTheater's GMAT story [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2010, 22:16
This post received
KUDOS
Thanks to both of you!

I got a request to list all the exams I've taken (in order) in one post, so here they are so far:

Princeton Review 1 = 710 - Q47 V41
Princeton Review 2 = 750 - Q51 V43
Princeton Review 3 = 690 - Q43 V43
Princeton Review 4 = 730 - Q48 V44
MGMAT 1 = 750 - Q48 V45
MGMAT 2 = 780 - Q51 V45
MGMAT 3 = xxx - Q51
MGMAT 4 = 730 - Q51 V39
GMAT Prep 1 = 780 - Q50 V48 (with AWA)

I'm going to take GMAT Prep 1 again tomorrow (and possibly PowerPrep 2 if I have the stamina) to get some more official questions.
2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Chicago Booth Class of 2013
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 130 [2] , given: 194

Reviews Badge
Re: YourDreamTheater's GMAT story [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2010, 22:36
This post received
KUDOS
YourDreamTheater wrote:
Thanks to both of you!

I got a request to list all the exams I've taken (in order) in one post, so here they are so far:

MGMAT 1 = 750 - Q48 V45
MGMAT 2 = 780 - Q51 V45
MGMAT 3 = xxx - Q51
MGMAT 4 = 730 - Q51 V39

I'm going to take GMAT Prep 1 again tomorrow (and possibly PowerPrep 2 if I have the stamina) to get some more official questions.

Man,

As far as I know, GMAC releases new portions of questions every first day of every month and all the questions are the same during a given month.
Folks, who passed GMAT this month, tell stories about EXTREMALY difficult SC's, so it could be a good idea to devote some extra time to brutal SC questions. I'm already going through brutal SC, since I scheduled GMAT on August 31th :)
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Re: YourDreamTheater's GMAT story [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2010, 23:13
This post received
KUDOS
Financier wrote:

Man,

As far as I know, GMAC releases new portions of questions every first day of every month and all the questions are the same during a given month.
Folks, who passed GMAT this month, tell stories about EXTREMALY difficult SC's, so it could be a good idea to devote some extra time to brutal SC questions. I'm already going through brutal SC, since I scheduled GMAT on August 31th :)

Thanks for the heads up! You've inspired me to go through the document in this thread:
the-brutal-100-sc-test-questions-1-70-and-growing-34300.html
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Re: YourDreamTheater's GMAT story [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2010, 23:29
This post received
KUDOS
On second thought --

I can't really recommend the SC post in the link that I posted above. Some of the questions are really suspect, and I don't see a strong correlation between official SC questions and the questions in that post.

A bit more digging revealed that many of these questions were taken off various foreign standardized testing sites -- some of which don't even cater to the GMAT. I don't really see the value in these questions when I could be getting more acclimated to the real types of questions that will come up on the GMAT.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 130 [0], given: 194

Reviews Badge
Re: YourDreamTheater's GMAT story [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2010, 23:40
YourDreamTheater wrote:
On second thought --

I can't really recommend the SC post in the link that I posted above. Some of the questions are really suspect, and I don't see a strong correlation between official SC questions and the questions in that post.

A bit more digging revealed that many of these questions were taken off various foreign standardized testing sites -- some of which don't even cater to the GMAT. I don't really see the value in these questions when I could be getting more acclimated to the real types of questions that will come up on the GMAT.

I suggest that you go through this set:
1-1000sc-100-brutal-q-explanations-2-level-of-question-85402.html
In this thread guys have already discussed many-many irrelevant things and mistakes; so you do not need to "invent bicycles".
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 1

Re: YourDreamTheater's GMAT story [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2010, 17:09
Financier wrote:
I suggest that you go through this set:
1-1000sc-100-brutal-q-explanations-2-level-of-question-85402.html
In this thread guys have already discussed many-many irrelevant things and mistakes; so you do not need to "invent bicycles".

Financier -- Thanks for the link, but I'm still going to focus on the official questions. Good to know that people have hammered out a lot of the problems in that document, though!
Out of curiosity -- what does the phrase "invent bicycles" mean? I know the phrase "reinvent the wheel," which seems similar contextually, but I've never come across "invent bicycles."

Back to the GMAT -- just took GMATPrep 1 again. Came across 8-10 repeats from the first GMATPrep, but I still got the exact same score:

GMATPrep 1 = 780 - Q50 V48 (retake)

Literally the exact same score as my first attempt at GMATPrep 1! I even had the same quant-verbal breakdown!

Again, I only missed one verbal question, but I got bumped down to a 48. I was surprised to see that it was a CR question that I got wrong -- just a silly mistake, but still kind of annoying. I got 6 wrong in quant and ended up with a 50 again. I'm wondering what it's going to take for me to get up into the 51 region. Possibly a miracle? I write the AWA essays, but I did use the official pen / erasable pad and an unfamiliar computer in my university's library

I'm going to take GMATPrep 2 tomorrow (with AWA), and I'm hoping to repeat my performance on these last two GMATPrep exams. If I can pull off a 780 on test day, then I will be extremely elated!!!!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Reviews Badge
Re: YourDreamTheater's GMAT story [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2010, 21:28
Russians say "invent bicycles" rather than "reinvent the wheel". The meaning is exactly the same :)

About your score: It's more than likely that familiar questions that you encounter on GMATprep's test distort the accuracy of your final score. So, the final battle may be more bloody than you think, be prepared.

Last edited by Financier on 16 Aug 2010, 21:32, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager

Re: YourDreamTheater's GMAT story [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2010, 21:30
Interesting! Despite my Russian heritage, I have never heard that saying. Thanks!
Manager
Manager

Re: YourDreamTheater's GMAT story [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2010, 18:18
Just finished up GMATPrep 2. I took it with all the real testing conditions, and I didn't recognize any of the questions, so I'm guessing it's pretty accurate. The one problem I had with it was that I completed it in an absurdly cold room, and I found the temperature a bit distracting. Lesson learned -- I'll bring a sweater to the real testing center.

Here was the result:

GMATPrep 2 = 770 - Q50 V45

I was a bit disappointed to see my verbal score drop down to a 45 (I missed 3 questions), but I was glad to see my quant score stay up at 50 (I missed 7 questions). I have a feeling that none of the verbal questions I have answered incorrectly during my three GMATPrep attempts (1, 1-retake, and 2) have been experimental, because all of the questions have docked me serious verbal points. I wonder how GMATPrep deals with experimental questions -- does the problem even have them? I'd be willing to bet that this could be a reason why most people score higher on the real GMAT than on GMATPrep, a trend that I have noticed after reading the last 5-10 pages of the "Share Your GMAT Experience" forum.

My test is Thursday evening, and at this point I think I'm ready to take it. I'm definitely getting used to taking one GMAT exam every evening, so I think that the real thing will just feel like another GMATPrep exam.

Here are all of my scores thus far (in chronological order):

MGMAT 1 = 750 - Q48 V45
MGMAT 2 = 780 - Q51 V45
MGMAT 3 = xxx - Q51
MGMAT 4 = 730 - Q51 V39
GMAT Prep 1 = 780 - Q50 V48 (retake)
GMAT Prep 2 = 770 - Q50 V45 (with AWA)

I seem to have plateaued around the 770-780 range, so I'm hoping for that type of result on the real thing.

I'm going to go through the GMATPrep SC document to make sure my verbal score is as high as possible.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 6

Re: YourDreamTheater's GMAT story [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2010, 21:16
Very impressive scores. I'm curious about ur streak on quant, do u hve a solid math background? And to what extent can u attribute those quant scores to ur prep thus far.

Posted from my mobile device Image

Manager
Manager

Re: YourDreamTheater's GMAT story [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2010, 21:36
Thanks for the post, smuvern!

I don't really have a solid math background. I took math through differential equations in high school, but I haven't taken a math class since then (I'm a music major). Some of the music classes I've taken are quant-based (computer music, math-based composition, physics (acoustics), etc.), and many people say that music and math go hand-in-hand. I don't really process music as a series of patterns or numbers, so I can't really speak to the truth of that claim.

If you're like me and you make stupid algebra mistakes, then I'd honestly recommend taking the Princeton Review exams. The quant questions are really easy, but the exam will punish you HARSHLY for any wrong answers. The Princeton Review verbal questions are also the best representation of the official questions that I've seen (as compared to MGMAT and Kaplan), and the verbal grading is quite accurate. I found that I got kind of lazy when taking the MGMAT exams because MGMAT doesn't penalize you as greatly for wrong answers (you can miss 10 and still get a 51).

My best quant advice is to go through the quant forum and do a few problems every day. Some great practice can be found in the tough problems that Bunuel has compiled in the math forum (look in his signature under any of his posts in the quant forum). They're great for reviewing!

Edit: edited certain details for secrecy during application season, will explain quant tactics fully in a few months
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Re: YourDreamTheater's GMAT story [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2010, 16:40
This post received
KUDOS
Took my last-ever preparatory exam before the real thing (tomorrow!!!), and I'm pretty happy with the result.

GMATPrep 2 = 780 - Q51 V47 (retake)

I got yet another 780. I only got 3-5 repeats in both quant and verbal, so the score should be at least somewhat accurate. I was happy to see the Q51 (35/37 correct), and the V47 wasn't too bad either (39/41). It was great to have my last prep-test go EXACTLY as I want it to on test day tomorrow. The quant questions hit all of my strong points, and the verbal questions weren't too bad. I was a bit mad to miss a CR problem AND an RC problem, but I'll shake it off. I'm hoping that any questions I miss tomorrow in verbal will be experimental.

To be honest, I'll be somewhat disappointed if I don't score 770 or 780 tomorrow. I know that sounds ridiculous, and I know it wouldn't be the end of the world to get a 750 or 760, but my results in GMATPrep are pointing to that result

GMATPrep 1 = 780 - Q50 V48
GMATPrep 1 = 780 - Q50 V48
GMATPrep 2 = 770 - Q50 V45
GMATPrep 2 = 780 - Q51 V47

I can't believe that tomorrow is the big day! Honestly, I feel like I'm peaking at the perfect time. I'm really comfortable using the real GMAT interface, and I've gotten used to the tricks they throw at you. Some tips that I've found from GMATPrep:

1. DS questions -- if the first statement is very computationally intensive, and is NOT sufficient by itself, then be sure to check the second statement alone. The official GMAT loves to sneak in simple but tricky answers into statement 2 hoping that the test-taker will simply try to solve using both statements, rather than check if 2 is sufficient alone.

2. SC questions -- the single most important part of SC questions is comma placement. Nearly every "700+" question involves multiple commas, and the answer choices have the commas and statements in different orders. If you can understand common comma themes like ", which" then you'll be good to go.

After my exam, I may actually write a verbal document for people who want to destroy the verbal part of the GMAT.

I'm going to go watch some BSG and rest up. I'm honestly not nervous at all about tomorrow -- I'm just excited to see how high I can score! The GMAT is an opportunity to shine, not some sort of barrier to success.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Reviews Badge
Re: YourDreamTheater's GMAT story [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2010, 21:50
We wish you all the good, buddy! You do deserve 770+ !
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 6

Re: YourDreamTheater's GMAT story [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2010, 01:52
Thank you buddy i was a bit iffy on the Princeton Review but your progress has encouraged me to give it a shot. Wishing u success today,

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 6

Re: YourDreamTheater's GMAT story [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2010, 06:13
Fantastic thread, YourDreamTheater. Your scores are nothing short of amazing; I'm sure you're going to do really well.

All the best. Waiting to read your debrief!
Re: YourDreamTheater's GMAT story   [#permalink] 19 Aug 2010, 06:13