Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Dec 2014, 12:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Zelda: Dr. Ladlow, a research psychologist, has convincingly

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 135

Kudos [?]: 688 [0], given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Zelda: Dr. Ladlow, a research psychologist, has convincingly [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2012, 22:09
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

39% (02:45) correct 61% (01:24) wrong based on 124 sessions
Zelda: Dr. Ladlow, a research psychologist, has convincingly demonstrated that his theory about the determinants of rat behaviour generates consistently accurate predictions about how rats will perform in a maze. On the basis of this evidence Dr. Ladlow has claimed that his theory is irrefutably correct.
Anson: Then Dr. Ladlow is not responsible psychologist. Dr. Ladlow‟s evidence does not conclusively prove that his theory is correct. Responsible psychologists always accept the possibility that new evidence will show that their theories are incorrect.
Which one of the following can be properly inferred from Anson‟s argument?
(A) Dr. Ladlow‟s evidence that his theory generates consistently accurate predictions about how rates will perform in a maze is inaccurate
(B) Psychologists who can derive consistently accurate predictions about how rats will perform in a maze from their theories cannot responsibly conclude that those theories cannot be disproved
(C) No matter how responsible psychologists are, they can never develop correct theoretical explanations.
(D) Responsible psychologists do not make predictions about how rats will perform in a maze
(E) Psychologists who accept the possibility that new evidence will show that their theories are incorrect are responsible psychologists.

OA
[Reveal] Spoiler:
soon
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 320

Kudos [?]: 516 [3] , given: 2

Re: Zelda: Dr. Ladlow, a research psychologist, has convincingly [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2012, 15:01
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Zelda: Dr. Ladlow, a research psychologist, has convincingly demonstrated that his theory about the determinants of rat behaviour generates consistently accurate predictions about how rats will perform in a maze. On the basis of this evidence Dr. Ladlow has claimed that his theory is irrefutably correct.
Anson: Then Dr. Ladlow is not responsible psychologist. Dr. Ladlow‟s evidence does not conclusively prove that his theory is correct. Responsible psychologists always accept the possibility that new evidence will show that their theories are incorrect.

(B) Psychologists who can derive consistently accurate predictions about how rats will perform in a maze from their theories cannot responsibly conclude that those theories cannot be disproved

(B) is essentially paraphrasing the paragraph, which says we know that all responsible scientists admit that their theories may be incorrect. A scientist who thinks otherwise, such as Dr. Ladlow, is not being responsible. Therefore, if you are studying rat behavior (a la Ladlow) you cannot responsibly conclude that your theory is irrefutable.

(E) Psychologists who accept the possibility that new evidence will show that their theories are incorrect are responsible psychologists.

(E) is definitely very tempting. But is it something that we could reasonably infer? Let's break down the structure of the argument: All responsible psychologists are ALWAYS accept that their theories may be incorrect. All X --->Y. (E), however, is saying All Y ---> X. This is not the same thing. Just because a psychologist accepts that their theories may be incorrect does not make that person responsible. Surely, there are other criteria. For instance, a responsible psychologist must also be ethical and organized. On the other hand, if we know a psychologist to be responsible (X), then he/she will definitely accept that their respective theory may be incorrect (Y).

Christopher Lele
Magoosh Test Prep

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: 1540 Q800 V740
Followers: 66

Kudos [?]: 298 [1] , given: 11

Re: Responsible Psychologist [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2012, 23:19
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Most people should be able to narrow down to B and E.

B: This is close, but on examination is incorrect. Anson says that responsible psychologists always accept the possibility that new evidence will show that their theories are incorrect. However, this answer choice says that psychologists who can derive consistently accurate predictions about how rats will perform in a maze from their theories cannot responsibly conclude that those theories cannot be disproved. Therefore, it is possible that the psychologists can conclude that their theories cannot be disproved without new evidence being considered, but may be disproved in the face of new evidence. Insufficient.
E: This is the correct answer as it paraphrases Anson's response.

E it is.

GyanOne | http://www.GyanOne.com | +91 9899831738

Get a free detailed MBA profile evaluation

Top MBA Rankings and MBA Admissions blog

Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 135

Kudos [?]: 688 [0], given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Responsible Psychologist [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2012, 23:29
Expert's post
Thats what I thought. But was shatterred to see that it was incorrect.

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Director
Director
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: 1540 Q800 V740
Followers: 66

Kudos [?]: 298 [0], given: 11

Re: Responsible Psychologist [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2012, 02:25
Hmmm.....ok, if I look at E in the light that it reverses what the last line says then it appears to be incorrect.

i.e. All responsible scientists => new evidence can disprove their theories
is not the same as
Psychologists who believe new evidence can disprove their theories => responsible scientists

In this light, B seems to be better. However, the earlier issue I outlined with B still holds. Tough question, IMO.

GyanOne | http://www.GyanOne.com | +91 9899831738

Get a free detailed MBA profile evaluation

Top MBA Rankings and MBA Admissions blog

Current Student
Affiliations: NYK Line
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 291 [0], given: 67

Re: Responsible Psychologist [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2012, 06:05
Marcab

I do not think there can be any challenges to E.....
Rightly said i narrowed down to B and E.
But B i do not think is an inference.
Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 11-18-2012
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 23

Re: Responsible Psychologist [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2012, 07:14
Don't u think B talk about in general.
Psychologist who did certain experiment ===> cannot responsibly conclude about disapproval of those theory.

We can't draw general conclusion based on one experiment.

More discussion needed...
For me answer is E

Thriving for CHANGE

Current Student
Schools: Bocconi '15 (A)
GMAT 1: 720 Q47 V42
GPA: 3.87
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 4

Re: Responsible Psychologist [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2012, 07:47
Marcab wrote:
(A) Dr. Ladlow‟s evidence that his theory generates consistently accurate predictions about how rates will perform in a maze is inaccurate
(C) No matter how responsible psychologists are, they can never develop correct theoretical explanations.
(D) Responsible psychologists do not make predictions about how rats will perform in a maze

I'd say B.

I think it's not E, because we cannot assume that what defines a responsible psychologist is only the fact that s/he accepts the possibility that new evidence will show that their theory is incorrect. Someone who accepts this possibility might not be a responsible psychologist for other reasons (necessary but not sufficient condition).
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V33
WE: Consulting (Telecommunications)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 75

Re: Zelda: Dr. Ladlow, a research psychologist, has convincingly [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2013, 04:34

(A) Dr. Ladlow‟s evidence that his theory generates consistently accurate predictions about how rates will perform in a maze is inaccurate. We can't question the validity of premise
(B) Psychologists who can derive consistently accurate predictions about how rats will perform in a maze from their theories cannot responsibly conclude that those theories cannot be disproved. Within the scope of the para. so, could be correct
(C) No matter how responsible psychologists are, they can never develop correct theoretical explanations. Change of tone by using "never"
(D) Responsible psychologists do not make predictions about how rats will perform in a mazeIswat
Reversing the Cause & effect.

Therefore, IMO B. It took me 2.3 min to ans this question

YOU CAN, IF YOU THINK YOU CAN

CEO
CEO
Followers: 331

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Zelda: Dr. Ladlow, a research psychologist, has convincingly [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2014, 07:51
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: Zelda: Dr. Ladlow, a research psychologist, has convincingly   [#permalink] 30 Jun 2014, 07:51