Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 01:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Zero Work Experience: One week until GMAT exam (Please help)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V45
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Zero Work Experience: One week until GMAT exam (Please help) [#permalink] New post 25 Jun 2013, 05:22
Hi!

I am requesting your help regarding selection of B-schools for management educations after graduation.

First, my profile:

Quote:
Academic Background:

- 10th ICSE: 87%
- 12th HSC: 83% (96% in Physics-Chemistry-Maths -- the only subjects I regarded pertinent then due to my engineering aspirations)
- MHT CET (Entrance exam for engineering): 191/200 (In the top 25, state-wide)
- Current CPI: ~9+ (9.81, 9.81, 10 in three semesters)

Leadership Roles:

- Managed a group of 10 people over 6 months as the Magazine Secretary to publish the annual publication (huge learning experience as far as leadership is concerned)
- Led a group of 10 people on a report-project over the course of 2 months (involved compilation, selection, editing and presentation on a topic; I coached a few friends to help their presentation as well - does this count?)
- Head Speakers' Club sessions every week (regularity subject to the presence and absence of exams/submissions etc.)

Awards:

- For scoring highest in Mechanics subject in the entire college in the first year

Extracurriculars:

- Debate enthusiast
- Started a Speakers' Club in college (moderately successful; )
- Key role in Décor team of a college fest (It was my friend's college; is this relevant? No certificate...)
- Participant of Creative Writing competition, Science Quiz etc.

Hobbies:

- Reading online articles on Philosophy, Psychology, Anthropology, Ancient History
- Writing poetry
- Reading online webcomics

GMATprep diagnostic test has given me a score of 760.

I have only one week before the exam and will have to submit five course names of my choice.

As the title says, I have zero work experience (I am still in my penultimate year of graduation). I have no specific fields in mind as of yet and am open to almost all specializations (except perhaps marketing). I have applied for ISB's YLP programme and have passed Round 1 of selection.

Getting to the point, I could figure that these seem to be the best courses for undergraduate students like me:

The HBS 2+ 2 Program
    The LBS Master's in Management Program ACCELARATE
    The Duke MMS Program
    The Yale Silver Scholars Program
    The HEC Paris Master's in Management Program

Kindly suggest courses that would be perfect and courses that would be within my reach. I have tried to research but am thoroughly confused. Please help!

Thanks!

EDIT: Updated profile

Last edited by siddharthnishar92 on 25 Jun 2013, 09:06, edited 1 time in total.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
VP
VP
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 414 [0], given: 245

Premium Member
Re: Zero Work Experience: One week until GMAT exam (Please help) [#permalink] New post 25 Jun 2013, 05:50
Expert's post
Those are great programs to send your scores to, but don't forget, sending your scores does not mean you have to apply to these programs!

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: Zero Work Experience: One week until GMAT exam (Please help) [#permalink] New post 25 Jun 2013, 05:55
aerien wrote:
Those are great programs to send your scores to, but don't forget, sending your scores does not mean you have to apply to these programs!

Thanks for your prompt reply. I agree that I am not bound to apply for them, but I feel it would be prudent to know the schools I want to apply for in advance, lest I should waste my opportunity to send the score for 5 courses.

And while I agree that these are some of the best courses, I would really appreciate some light on their relevance to me, i.e. how realistic is it for me to go for these programmes and whether there are there any caveats I need to be aware of?
Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Retail)
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 328 [0], given: 108

Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Zero Work Experience: One week until GMAT exam (Please help) [#permalink] New post 25 Jun 2013, 06:43
siddharthnishar92 wrote:
aerien wrote:

Thanks for your prompt reply. I agree that I am not bound to apply for them, but I feel it would be prudent to know the schools I want to apply for in advance, lest I should waste my opportunity to send the score for 5 courses.

And while I agree that these are some of the best courses, I would really appreciate some light on their relevance to me, i.e. how realistic is it for me to go for these programmes and whether there are there any caveats I need to be aware of?

We have no idea... No where near enough info to give you any real advice on your chances... I think the main point of your post is this

Quote:
I have no specific fields in mind as of yet and am open to almost all specializations

if you have no idea why you want an MBA why are you planning on applying now? Take the GMAT do well, and just pick schools that you think you may want to apply to in the future. (hell my first attempt only had 1 school on it that I actually applied to) In the long run, $35 a school or whatever it is now is nothing. If you're debating shooting for the stars, fine, try HBS 2+2 and such... But stop thinking about where you're sending your scores and focus on the test... Where you send your scores really doesnt matter.

Good luck!
Intern
Intern

Re: Zero Work Experience: One week until GMAT exam (Please help) [#permalink] New post 25 Jun 2013, 08:51
highwyre237 wrote:
siddharthnishar92 wrote:
aerien wrote:

We have no idea... No where near enough info to give you any real advice on your chances... I think the main point of your post is this

Quote:
I have no specific fields in mind as of yet and am open to almost all specializations

if you have no idea why you want an MBA why are you planning on applying now? Take the GMAT do well, and just pick schools that you think you may want to apply to in the future. (hell my first attempt only had 1 school on it that I actually applied to) In the long run, $35 a school or whatever it is now is nothing. If you're debating shooting for the stars, fine, try HBS 2+2 and such... But stop thinking about where you're sending your scores and focus on the test... Where you send your scores really doesnt matter.

Good luck!

Thanks!

You make a valid point. The truth is that I am hoping to find orientation while I get introduced to various spheres of business in the duration of my studies. I come from an Engineering background and as such I feel there would be little learning in the positions that I could get (I could be wrong) as far as business management is concerned. While there would definitely be some learning, I feel that those two years could be better invested into educating myself, effectively making much more of the same time than I would have, had I opted to work in a position that may or may not give me a chance to discover myself.

I am open to suggestions though. Most of you here are more experienced than I am and in a much better position to comment...
Re: Zero Work Experience: One week until GMAT exam (Please help)   [#permalink] 25 Jun 2013, 08:51