Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 11 Jul 2014, 02:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Zicklin School of Business MBA Grad with a criminal record

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Zicklin School of Business MBA Grad with a criminal record [#permalink] New post 25 Jun 2013, 14:04
Hey guys,

This is a bit embarrassing but it is what it is. So here's the situation:

The Good:

I have two summer classes to go before graduating from zicklin school of business to get my MBA in Finance and Information Systems. I'll have the degree by September and already have attended the ceremony. I am a 23 year old with an MBA from a pretty good business school. That's the end of the good.

The Bad:

A little over two years ago, I was arrested and charged with four felonies including identity theft, attempted grand larceny, and two others I don't exactly recall. Those were the CHARGES. I was CONVICTED of Criminal Possession of Stolen Property, a misdemeanor and nothing else. I received no sentence, no probation, nothing, other than the judge stating "stay out of trouble." The bad continues that my charges were leaked out to a small local, village newspaper, which subsequently made its way to Google. So, what's on Google are the felony charges and nothing about the misdemeanor conviction or any conviction for that matter.

Over the course of the two years since my conviction, I've thoroughly stayed out of trouble, primarily focusing on school, working at a family business, and exhausting myself with a few other things to keep making a few bucks here and there to keep up with school fees and other expenses. I've also spent much of the past two years beating myself up over my mistakes and have been diagnosed with clinical depression coupled with spending lots of time contemplating suicide. Well, I've refused to take treatment for my depression but that's not the issue at hand. Despite how much I may accept responsibility and recant for my mistakes, that does not change the damage that has already been done.

The bad continues in that I went straight to MBA school right out of undergrad. I will finish with around a 3.4 gpa (likely and hopefully) in my MBA and I finished my BBA with a 3.85. But I've also never had any internships (grad or undergrad) or any relevant jobs. I have never had them because despite a clean slate back in undergrad and a very high, near perfect GPA, I was never able to get a single offer for any internships (paid or unpaid). Only notable thing I ever did was work as a research assistant for a professor in undergrad and subsequently coauthored a PhD paper that he was writing at the time.

So, 0 work experience (rite aid, UPS, my dad's convenience store, and tutoring don't count despite the countless hours that went into those). And most importantly I've a criminal record, granted a misdemeanor but in my mind, that's the end of the world. I'd never hire me. I haven't been able to forgive myself enough to ask a girl out because I feel every girl deserves someone better than me (beyond the point).

Now, WHO THE HELL IS GOING TO HIRE ME?? Should I even bother applying for jobs?? So far, I have completely been against applying for them but I have no alternatives in mind except construction work. Should I just apply for construction jobs?? I suppose I'll be one of the few with an MBA doing a $10/hour construction job. Is there any hope for me as far as getting anywhere with a career??

Yes, I know I'm only 23, but that doesn't change anything. Thanks for reading my essay.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 95

Re: Zicklin School of Business MBA Grad with a criminal record [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2013, 22:29
All I hear though out your post is your depression talking.

I can give you one factual piece of information. The Misdemeanor can be expunged if you've stayed out of legal trouble for a certain length of time. There will be other criteria you'll have to meet, and those vary by state. The fact you've earned an MBA since then will help. A Criminal Attorney in the state where the conviction occurred can tell you when you would be qualified to apply to the Courts.

I do not beg for kudos.

Intern
Intern

Re: Zicklin School of Business MBA Grad with a criminal record [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2013, 04:50
MzJavert wrote:
All I hear though out your post is your depression talking.

I can give you one factual piece of information. The Misdemeanor can be expunged if you've stayed out of legal trouble for a certain length of time. There will be other criteria you'll have to meet, and those vary by state. The fact you've earned an MBA since then will help. A Criminal Attorney in the state where the conviction occurred can tell you when you would be qualified to apply to the Courts.

Thanks for replying to that. It probably is a good bit of the depression talking but with that said, I believe there is no expunging in the state I am in, NY. So, there goes that. I have never been in trouble my whole like and it's been over two years since this happened (not much time, I know) but I've thoroughly stayed out of trouble unless speeding tickets count. Either which way, I really don't think anyone will hire me, more so because of the Google search situation which yields a result with four felony charges. They were charges but what Google says it what people will look at first.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2134

Kudos [?]: 7268 [0], given: 3618

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Zicklin School of Business MBA Grad with a criminal record [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2013, 07:59
Expert's post
Wow, interesting situation.
You do not have to disclose the misdemeanor in the job application but it will come out in the background check and based on a quick research it will be harder to find a job (which does not help a person without work experience)

One option is to try Canada where you would be safe from the record but without work experience it will be tough to get a job/move/etc

Another option is to heavily network and get a job with someone who trusts you and knows your personal record/quality/etc - which again would be tough without prior work experience.

Here is an interesting discussion: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Can_you_get_a ... isdemeanor

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Olin - Wash U - Class of 2015
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 342 [0], given: 23

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Zicklin School of Business MBA Grad with a criminal record [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2013, 12:27
Interesting and scary situation to be in. But I'm sure with an MBA degree you could do much better than a $10 construction job...
I'm not sure about rules in states... But with an MBA, and an experience in handling family business you may have good shot at entrepreneurship. Why don't u start something on your own.. There will be lots of VCs who'd back you up, if you got some good idea irrespective of the background..

Lets Kudos!!! ;-)
Black Friday Debrief

Intern
Intern

Re: Zicklin School of Business MBA Grad with a criminal record [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2013, 16:00
Well, I am trying to start something on my own but then again that's easier said than done. I still can't tell if what I've been trying to start is merely a fluke thus far or actually going to be successful; I suppose it takes some time to figure that out. With that said, I am not entirely scared to death about my life being as I'm only 23 and, to be honest, I could always just be a truck driver or something like that. But all this hard work seems so pointless most days.

To the other guy that posted the link to the other discussion: dude that thread basically says I am entirely screwed lol. I guess it's true though, I mean that discussion is just putting it bluntly. As for the Canada thing, I am fairly certain Canadian employers still see what US employers see on Google. The misdemeanor is a big deal but the bigger deal is the charges that come up on google when someone google's my name. No hiding the name.
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.78

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 24

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Zicklin School of Business MBA Grad with a criminal record [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2013, 16:57
Hi,
Don't feel so bad and beat yourself up. You may be able to change your name - I did, before I had a very traditional Middle Eastern sounding name and always got teased but after September 11th, it was terrible, so for $230 you go to your local courthouse and change your name, that takes care of the Google search. If you can bear changing the first and last, if not, just the last.

Also check out Sonia Ricotti's Unsinkable - http://www.onlinemeetingnow.com/seminar/?id=3c25d9258f
Intern
Intern

Re: Zicklin School of Business MBA Grad with a criminal record [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2013, 17:08
Thanks for that suggestion but name changing has never been my strategy. Although I sometimes use my middle name as my last name to introduce myself to people these days, I avoid it as much as possible. I don't want to hide who I am and I think this is part of me. Certainly, it's not a good thing and not the best of times in my life but I don't think I should build myself up on hiding things about me. I don't know, at least for now, I am opposed to the whole name change idea. For better or for worse, I think this will always be a part of me.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 95

Re: Zicklin School of Business MBA Grad with a criminal record [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2013, 17:13
I forgot to mention something in my previous post. A former District Manager of mine did time in prison. After that he got into the biomed field, became a department manager, earned his MBA, and ironically he's married to an Attorney.

I do not beg for kudos.

Intern
Intern

Re: Zicklin School of Business MBA Grad with a criminal record [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2013, 17:21
MzJavert wrote:
I forgot to mention something in my previous post. A former District Manager of mine did time in prison. After that he got into the biomed field, became a department manager, earned his MBA, and ironically he's married to an Attorney.

Yeah but that sounds like an exception story. I was more so hoping for some immediate strategy that I should pursue in setting my life on a path. Then again, who knows, maybe some day I'll figure it out or maybe I won't..
Director
Director

Re: Zicklin School of Business MBA Grad with a criminal record [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2013, 20:20
Dude.. After reading your other responses I personally think that it may be a good idea to go to a shrink,if you don't mind doing that...
There is just too much of negativity.

Almost hopeless at 23... I don't buy that...with good grades, good degree and good counseling you may just create your own 'exception' story...

Lets Kudos!!! ;-)
Black Friday Debrief

Intern
Intern

Re: Zicklin School of Business MBA Grad with a criminal record [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2013, 10:52
Vips0000 wrote:
Dude.. After reading your other responses I personally think that it may be a good idea to go to a shrink,if you don't mind doing that...

Almost hopeless at 23... I don't buy that...with good grades, good degree and good counseling you may just create your own 'exception' story...

Yeah seemingly everyone tells me to go to a shrink. See, at the risk of sounding overly cocky, I will say the following:

My only problem with a shrink is that I have never been to one but they're a joke to me. How will one fix any of my problems by taking more money away from me when making money (getting a career) is the problem in the first place?? Secondly, I am the argumentative kind and the kind that also has a major in philosophy and took tons of classes on logic and arguing and all that. I can't see any shrink actually managing to get past any arguments that I will counter what he says with. Even if he does get past it, I'll find another logic to counter what he says.

A for the good grades, I guess they're ok, they're not outstanding. I had a 3.85 in undergrad and I'll probably graduate with around a 3.35 to a 3.45 in my MBA. Not terrible, not outstanding. Granted, the degree itself is notable.
Director
Director

Re: Zicklin School of Business MBA Grad with a criminal record [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2013, 12:40
devarinti wrote:
Vips0000 wrote:

Yeah seemingly everyone tells me to go to a shrink. See, at the risk of sounding overly cocky, I will say the following:

My only problem with a shrink is that I have never been to one but they're a joke to me. How will one fix any of my problems by taking more money away from me when making money (getting a career) is the problem in the first place?? Secondly, I am the argumentative kind and the kind that also has a major in philosophy and took tons of classes on logic and arguing and all that. I can't see any shrink actually managing to get past any arguments that I will counter what he says with. Even if he does get past it, I'll find another logic to counter what he says.

A for the good grades, I guess they're ok, they're not outstanding. I had a 3.85 in undergrad and I'll probably graduate with around a 3.35 to a 3.45 in my MBA. Not terrible, not outstanding. Granted, the degree itself is notable.

If logic could be instilled by taking classes, we wouldnt hear/see so much illogical stuff all the time... :twisted:

As for as 'the problem in first place' is considered, I think what you are looking at is not the root cause...and thats where the professional joker (read:shrink) will come into picture... And remember, unique works for MBA essays.. but in world there are over 6 billion people, and surely you wont be unique in terms of being argumentative/logical or even aggressive...
I dont think that a long-timer shrink wouldnt have seen an argumentative or aggressive clients before..

seriously dude.. if everyone asked you to do it... there must be some substance to it...

But yeah... well its your problem at the end of the day, and you gotta be the one deciding how to deal with it.. so.. that's all from my end.... (Of course, since I'm not charging :P )

But interesting story nonetheless; Good luck!

Lets Kudos!!! ;-)
Black Friday Debrief

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [1] , given: 0

Re: Zicklin School of Business MBA Grad with a criminal record [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2013, 16:31
This post received
KUDOS
You're right, I am not looking at the root cause. But if I start looking at the root cause, I would merely discover that I neither have a time machine nor is there such a thing. Thus, the root cause would then be unfixable. Plus, the problem with me is when someone tells me I'm overly negative and that's my problem, I will accept it and I realize that. But then I will simply tell them it is unfortunate that the sequence of events, which has been my life, has led me to believe that reality is overly negative and thus unless those sequence of events can be changes, my negativity is unlikely to have a reason to change.

And yes an experienced shrink probably has dealt with people ten times worse than me. I am not much for aggressive when it comes to arguing; I think that's just stupid and that's when one starts saying listen I'm right because I am saying so. I hate that. I guess in a way I am almost resistant to allow myself to succeed. Now, that's just unfortunate.
Intern
Intern

Re: Zicklin School of Business MBA Grad with a criminal record [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2013, 09:25
That's a tough situation.
Intern
Intern

Re: Zicklin School of Business MBA Grad with a criminal record [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2013, 17:13
overgrad wrote:
That's a tough situation.

Yep, it is, in fact, a sh** situation. Don't even get yourself into it.
Re: Zicklin School of Business MBA Grad with a criminal record   [#permalink] 29 Oct 2013, 17:13