Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 10:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

ZOMG! The Bang, Bang CR Guide

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
215 KUDOS received
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Organizational Behavior
Followers: 347

Kudos [?]: 1415 [215] , given: 196

GMAT ToolKit User
ZOMG! The Bang, Bang CR Guide [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2010, 17:58
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
With an attractive title like that, it's surprising you're even reading this. I started preparing for the GMAT with the CR section and went through at least three different strategy guides before putting together my own document with the best strategies in them.

The document I've attached here basically contains a comprehensive list of question types, identification techniques, approach techniques and correct/incorrect answer choice justifications. I've also included two examples for each of the types I've mentioned.

I am also a big color junkie. If it doesn't look good, I don't like reading it, so I made it as colorful and lively as I could. And I thought I should share it with you guys, should it help anyone at all.

Quote:
Disclaimer: I have just shared my understanding of various strategies and I have used examples from several other sources, all of which are listed in the document itself. This is merely meant to help people out with understanding the concepts. It's NOT a substitute to the guide book. So don't sue me! :D

Quote:
Recommendation: Go buy the Powerscore CR and Veritas CR Guides. Both of them are excellent sources of problems and strategies. The Powerscore CR Bible clearly explains what I've summarized here and Veritas has some examples that illustrate the strategies very efficiently!

Document:
Attachments

File comment: Comprehensive CR Guide
Comprehensive Critical Reasoning Guide.pdf [840.15 KiB]
Downloaded 22173 times

To download please login or register as a user

Last edited by bb on 03 Jan 2013, 08:11, edited 9 times in total.
Sticky!
Veritas Prep GMAT Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
WE 1: Oil and Gas - Engineering & Construction
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 48

Re: The Bang, Bang CR Guide (A comprehensive guide w/ examples) [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2010, 05:02
This comprehensive CR doc is a grt stuff Whiplash, thnx a tonnaaage.....

Its a GC memeber delite :lol:

Giving Kudos, is a great Way to Help the GC Community Kudos

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The Bang, Bang CR Guide (A comprehensive guide w/ examples) [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2010, 00:34
Thanks whiplash for the document...I've already started improving my accuracy on CR after following some of the guidelines from the same :)
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 3

Re: The Bang, Bang CR Guide (A comprehensive guide w/ examples) [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2010, 19:03
Really good.Thanks.Kudos
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 1

Re: The Bang, Bang CR Guide (A comprehensive guide w/ examples) [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2010, 18:08
txs for the pdf
Schools: Carey '16
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 103 [0], given: 71

Re: The Bang, Bang CR Guide (A comprehensive guide w/ examples) [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2010, 19:00
about to use this for real. thanks a lot. i suck @ cr. hopefully this will help.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: The Bang, Bang CR Guide (A comprehensive guide w/ examples) [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2010, 14:28
Wow, this is amazing! Thanks soooooo much for sharing ;)
Manager
Manager
GPA: 2.3
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 115

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The Bang, Bang CR Guide (A comprehensive guide w/ examples) [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2010, 03:21
Thanks a lot!

---------------------------------------------------------------
Consider to give me kudos if my post helped you.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 58

Re: The Bang, Bang CR Guide (A comprehensive guide w/ examples) [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2010, 11:40
Thank you. I just downloaded and will check it out soon.

I'm trying to not just answer the problem but to explain how I came up with my answer. If I am incorrect or you have a better method please PM me your thoughts. Thanks!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: CBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 590 Q47 V25
GMAT 2: 560 Q47 V20
GMAT 3: 600 Q47 V25
GMAT 4: 680 Q49 V34
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 32

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: The Bang, Bang CR Guide (A comprehensive guide w/ examples) [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2010, 06:12
This is great whip. I completed MGMAT books and thought of doing some practice but I found (again) myself rustic in some CR fundamentals and RC strategies. Thanks to my hectic work schedule.
I started Powerscore LSAT CR and RC books. Powerscore is definitely better than MGMAT material and makes you think or apply more for small tips. Also, I went back to MGMAT books to refer to similar strategies and grasped them better than earlier. I would recommend everyone to at least read two books to get a better understanding for any topic. Comparing two books for same strategies will provide you better insight on each topic.
Again, this is just a suggestion and I'm no way near guys who're practicing or contributing so much on this forum.

"Whether You Think You Can or Can't, You're Right"--Henry Ford
680 Debrief
600 Debrief
590 Debrief
My GMAT Journey

Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 67

Kudos [?]: 328 [0], given: 109

Re: The Bang, Bang CR Guide (A comprehensive guide w/ examples) [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2010, 08:49
Wow, this is very helpful.
Kudos for you!

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 5

Re: The Bang, Bang CR Guide (A comprehensive guide w/ examples) [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2010, 01:35
Thanks WHIP!

WHERE IS THE PASSION?

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: CBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 590 Q47 V25
GMAT 2: 560 Q47 V20
GMAT 3: 600 Q47 V25
GMAT 4: 680 Q49 V34

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 32

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: The Bang, Bang CR Guide (A comprehensive guide w/ examples) [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2010, 05:53
I've been reading CR material from MGMAT and Powerscore CR bible. I was able to apply concepts in most of the problems but my accuracy was not great. I want to practice more CR questions by each question type. Can someone suggest some CR practice questions bank or book for targeted practice?
I've exhausted OG 12 questions, and I'm trying to keep official verbal supplement for last practice set before GMAT.
Suggestion for best CR question bank resources?

"Whether You Think You Can or Can't, You're Right"--Henry Ford
680 Debrief
600 Debrief
590 Debrief
My GMAT Journey

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 7

Re: The Bang, Bang CR Guide (A comprehensive guide w/ examples) [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2010, 05:20
This is amazing... i think the best!

Regards,
If you like my post, consider giving me a kudo. THANKS!

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 23

Re: The Bang, Bang CR Guide (A comprehensive guide w/ examples) [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2010, 01:30
Great work with the flash cards :)
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: The Bang, Bang CR Guide (A comprehensive guide w/ examples) [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2010, 21:43
Hi,

This is a really good guide but I think there is a cut in the page ("Assumption") section. Page 19 & 20 and Page 23 & 24.

Can you please check?
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Ms. Big Fat Panda

Kudos [?]: 1415 [0], given: 196

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The Bang, Bang CR Guide (A comprehensive guide w/ examples) [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2010, 22:19
Thanks zasdaqs. I have corrected the formatting error.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: The Bang, Bang CR Guide (A comprehensive guide w/ examples) [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2010, 22:29
Beautiful! Thank you!
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Ms. Big Fat Panda

Kudos [?]: 1415 [0], given: 196

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The Bang, Bang CR Guide (A comprehensive guide w/ examples) [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2010, 22:33
rg1 wrote:
I've been reading CR material from MGMAT and Powerscore CR bible. I was able to apply concepts in most of the problems but my accuracy was not great. I want to practice more CR questions by each question type. Can someone suggest some CR practice questions bank or book for targeted practice?
I've exhausted OG 12 questions, and I'm trying to keep official verbal supplement for last practice set before GMAT.
Suggestion for best CR question bank resources?

I think the Veritas Prep CR modules have some solid practice problems - almost a 100 each, if I didn't count wrong. I liked their style a lot as well. I would also recommend creating a free account on Grockit and attacking their CR problems - they are pretty good, but sometimes a little unlike GMAT.

Apart from that, I think the OG and the verbal supplement are your best bet. You could try exhausting the GMAT Prep resources once you get through with them. Or search the forum by tags to find questions to your liking. Hope this helps
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: The Bang, Bang CR Guide (A comprehensive guide w/ examples) [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2010, 10:55
Thanks Whiplash :)
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: The Bang, Bang CR Guide (A comprehensive guide w/ examples) [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2010, 00:36
This is great - appreciate your effort on this document :mg:

On a side note if you want a job refining content let me know or join elance.com :)

Arun

http://www.crackverbal.com
http://www.facebook.com/CrackVerbal
https://twitter.com/AskCrackVerbal

Re: The Bang, Bang CR Guide (A comprehensive guide w/ examples)   [#permalink] 20 Dec 2010, 00:36