Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 05:54 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 05:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1117 [9]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1133 [1]
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Completed at SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - Class of 2008
 Q50  V34
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 251 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Sad story here for a such active GMATClub member...

I agree with Jules.

Your first attempt and the time pressure on Verbal are the 2 fundamental and negative factors of your story! The later one greatly and sadly multiplies the former one effect and both made your performance down... U value much more than this!!! Several times, I learn a lot from your posts : don't give up ! :)
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Send PM
Re: A debriefing from the greatest loser at GMATClub [#permalink]
GMATT73 wrote:
Worried about having a low GMAT score? Read this...

Hey Gmatt73,

Keep your head up. Don't get too down on yourself. It is an exercise in futility. As for the GMAT, if you take it again, I'm certain you will score well over 600. If you don't take it again, then you move on and life goes on.

Are you the type of person to give up? Because if you are, you would be wasting your time at bschool.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 783 [1]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kudos
Matt,

If there is anyone in this club who knows exactly how you feel - that would be me :roll: I've been there, done that... What I can assure you and everyone else on this forum is that your attitude must change should you go for your next attempt. I feel that you stressed yourself too much, you put too much pressure expecting and doubting whether you can reach the sky.

And you know what? You can reach the sky and grab the star you want - it's only a matter of time. I can imagine how difficult it is right now not only to study for the test, but also to live in a country where English isn't practiced every day. Add the Japanese customs of staying late at work and being loyal to the boss (whatever that means :? ) and then it's really hard to find extra min to prepare. So the sleepless or late nights probably exhausted you mentally!

My guess of what happened is just as good as everyone else's, but I think the negative thinking in the verbal, which started so abruptly, caused you to underperform. With no focus and with plenty of doubt one can't get the best out of him/herself. This is the problem which I faced many times and I believe many people do as well (they are just not talking about it). I am very pleased that you are a very honest person and shared with us everything you are going through, and I think I like you even more for the fact that you are so brave to show your struggle to everyone. After all it's just a misstep, not a humiliation and you are not a loser!!! Don't think of it this way!!! I am sure that many "silent" readers know the exact feeling that you have right now, but dealing silently with a mistake is much more difficult. I hope we can collectively lift your spirits!!!

Please regroup yourself and don't change your life plans because of this stupid thing... and I say it's stupid because it is only 1 factor in your application and if there is anything to take away from GMAT, it is good grammar skills (which you have :!: ) and mastering stress management (which you will work on :!: )

It's funny, but I was listening my CD on the way to work and Bono sang "YOU'VE GOT TO LEAVE IT BEHIND" :wink: So I am passing on his message from U2's "Walk on" :wink:

And I know it aches
And your heart it breaks
And you can only take so much
Walk on, walk on

Take a break, rethink your plan and continue to chase your dream!!! And we will be here to help!!!

All the best,
u2lovergirl

Originally posted by u2lover on 12 Sep 2006, 09:58.
Last edited by u2lover on 12 Sep 2006, 12:46, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 116 [1]
GMAT 3: 640
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi Matt!
I am surprised with your score!
I ll PM you
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [2]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Matt,

I was just thinking about you going in for your test today; I forgot that you are a day ahead in Japan. I know from your active participation here that you have put in the work. It's terrible that you haven't yet been able to get the result that you'd like. I think that if/when you take the test again, you should concentrate on techniques to reduce stress and improve your test-taking strategy because I think your knowledge of the test questions is not currently reflected in your score.

For example, some people just refuse to give up on questions, it's not in their nature. But wasting time can be a lot more devastating that just taking a guess and moving on, espcially on a CAT where you will have a chance to make up for it later on. Also, some people just get unreasonably stressed by tests like these, which causes them to perform below expectations even when they know their stuff. You might need to work on your confidence before you go in next time. It will be hard, because of your experiences thus far, but we all know you can do better; and you need to walk in with confidence next time.

I'd like to recommend a movie if you take some time off, The Count of Monte Cristo. It is based on the popular book, and it is not a great movie, but I find it inspiring. If you feel like giving up, if you feel like you don't want to prepare again or possibly wait another year, or if you don't feel you have the time to do what you need, check out this movie. It might help motivate you to undertake the challenge again.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 783 [2]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Bookmarks
To add to the movie suggestion from pelihu:

Check out "What the bleep do we know"... it clearly talks about what your thoughts can do to you. The min you stop thinking negatively, your potential increases exponentially and your performance improves as well!!! The movie is more of a documentary and is boring in the beginning, but very inspiring in the end.

Nose up MATT -> Life continues!!!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 213 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Matt,
Things might seem extremely bad right now, but I know and I firmly believe that you have it in you to do better.

Its just one day that ended not to your expectation... don't let one day pull you down. These are not just words that I am saying to get you to feel better... you are one of a few people on this board, worthy of admiration to whom people look up to. Nothing can change that. Its just one day that turned out badly.

Give it a few days, take some time off and come back and lets all of us work on this together. We will all be rooting for you just as you have always been helping and rooting for us.

Take some time off and then come back ... we'll all do this together.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 412 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi Matt,
Cool down, no need to get disappointed. Yes, it is very surprising to see that kind of score for you, but certainly you deserve much more than that...You should be in 700+ club. THe way you contributed in the forum, the way you studied and answered the queries, your score is not reflecting your potential. THis is one unusual score, so certainly it was a bad day. Some nervousness or some anxiety which overpowered you at that particular period of time..Now that you hit the rockbottom, going forward from now,every single step will take you to the new heights and soon you will be on the path of recovery.
You don't need to give up here. Life is full of challenges and we need to beat them. At least for the sake of this club, you need to appear again in the test and prove everything wrong. We all are with you. if you succeed, it will be the biggest victory of all of us.
You had enough of studies, no need to do it again. Just Re-register yourself for test and probably join a meditation course to relax and calm the mind and increase your concentration.

You need to do this for all of us........You need to prove yourself, we won't let you go like this..
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 992 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hey Matt,

This is was very unfortunate buddy but don't worry, it's part of life. You definitely deserve better score & we all want you to take a break & start off again. YOU CAN DO IT BUDDY!

Let me know if you need any help from my side, anytime, please feel free!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 201 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Matt,
You are one of the best contributors to the forum. Just one of those freaky things..overlooking the break time..

Like gmacvik says.. The score does not reflect your potential.
I know you can do it...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
 Q49  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
Matt,

Its done with. Its over. Most importantly, it is NOT a representation of your abilities. This is not a time for long stories, and I know you will feel like tossing out all advice out of the window, so just know that we all feel your frustration.

So, refraining from typing out all the words of advice that I can think of (there will be a time for that), I insist that you put a smile to your face, knowing that you have all of us at GMATclub supporting you.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 73 [0]
Send PM
A debriefing from the greatest loser at GMATClub [#permalink]
Hey Matt,

Extremely sorry to learn about what happened. But dude I don't want you to lose hope because every single one of us in this forum knows that you are capable of doing much better than this. Every single one of us has always gained something from your posts.

From what I gathered from my experience and from others experiences is that yes the preperation definitely plays a vital role in how well you are going to do, but luck plays a major part too dude. Like sometimes we know that yes we can achieve it but its just that particular day was not good for us :( . It happens to all of us. So this has no reflection on your abilities.

And plus you were in a tight spot. I know you feel very bad( probably bad is not the word...) But like what others said, just take a step back and re-asses your plan, take your time, get back in the game, and we are all there for you.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1649 [0]
Given Kudos: 781
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks to all of you to offer such support to Matt. There is very little I can add to the great great advice and encouragement that all of you have offered.

https://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=5919

best wishes
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
Never give up! [#permalink]
Matt,

Its very unfortunate. But dont give up. You need to remember the quote "You are not a loser until you quit trying". Dont ever give up and you'll definitely succeed.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Please don't discourage yourself by this stupid :x standardized test
I believe that your future shouldn't be changed by this 4-hour length test
which cost for only 250$. Your future worths more than that.
If you believe yourself to be the greatest loser of GMATCLUB,
you might be wrong for not considering me as a competitive candidate
for this honor :)

5 min loss = 3 questions which affect the verbal score for 4-5 points
panic = 4 questions = 5 points
From this estimation, your verbal is not in that bad shape
it is just bad day which reduce your verbal score by 9 points which
is equal to 80 from total score
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 65 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
GMATT73:

Well everyone has already told you what needs to be done at this point of time.

But believe me I always look at the explanations you give (particularly for verbal).

You have a clear way of thinking the right solutions and thats enough to ace this test.

My 2 cents: Do not give up.......
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 593 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hey Matt,

Though we haven't communicated personally but I have been reading your posts and like all others here I am sure you are capable and don't doubt it even for a second.

I know anything I say may or may not change the way you feel. And trust me to believe that you have failed is the worst feeling here. I think every one can attest to that.

I agree completely with what Dahiya mentioned.

You know what we all have failed and myself a lot of times. But the only thing that made me fight for another day was a simple line I used to say to myself.
"Okay this was a learning experience may be a costly one but come on I learned soemthing"

Matt, I am sure you have built expertise in quant and verbal so just take it this way that next time you will expertise in time management.

I hope you have a good break and rejoin this forum with a recharged batteries.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
 1   2   3   4   5   6   7   
Moderator:
Founder
37305 posts