Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 13:14 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 13:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date

GSB or Kellogg?

You may select 1 option
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 783 [0]
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
gmatmba wrote:
So you dont know what you want to do after MBA? what did you write in the essays?

I have, at best, a vague idea. I wrote with conviction in my essays, but in all honesty, I'm not entirely sure of what I want to do.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 112 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
rhyme wrote:
gmatmba wrote:
So you dont know what you want to do after MBA? what did you write in the essays?

I have, at best, a vague idea. I wrote with conviction in my essays, but in all honesty, I'm not entirely sure of what I want to do.

...well then when you get into Kellog, you will have another challenge. Im sure there are many variables that will sway you either way, but to make it very simple....I would go with Chicago if I want to be a quant heavy field, or pick Kellogg if I want a more creative job...so what are you into - quant or creative?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
i vote for GSB....

GSB has that special rep within the financial industry ( i know - no IB for rhyme, but other paths such as IM, PE, etc...) and still has solid placement in other industries such as consulting, corporate, etc.....

since you're not exactly sure which path you want to take post-mba, i believe that GSB will give you a slight edge as far as options, esp considering that their curiculum is more flexible.

unless you're leaning heavily towards the marketing industry, my vote stands firm with gsb- but man, it's stillll such a tough choice!

what does your heart say? :-D i say you go with what your heart is telling you. oh yeah, should prob consider your woman's opinion too!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
rhyme wrote:
gmatmba wrote:

Many people get the feel of what they want in the first semester correct?
Isnt the first sem at GSB a bit moee structured?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
gmatmba wrote:
rhyme wrote:
gmatmba wrote:

...well then when you get into Kellog, you will have another challenge. Im sure there are many variables that will sway you either way, but to make it very simple....I would go with Chicago if I want to be a quant heavy field, or pick Kellogg if I want a more creative job...so what are you into - quant or creative?

creative. Hands down.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
willget800 wrote:
rhyme wrote:
gmatmba wrote:

Many people get the feel of what they want in the first semester correct?
Isnt the first sem at GSB a bit moee structured?

I dont think so. GSB only has ONE required course. After that, you pick.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
Personally, I decided not to apply to Kellogg so I voted for GSB.

The main reason was that Chicago appears to be more on the cutting edge in terms of curriculum, facilities and ideas. Kellogg is definitely behind in terms of facilities, but I also get the feeling that their programs are becoming more stale. It's just a general feeling that I got while attending information sessions and interacting with folks from both schools.

I'm also pretty sure I want to go into finance initially and GSB is obviously a leader in terms of reputation and job placements as well as new ideas and curriculum. GSB has much more flexibility in their curriculum. It's really designed so that you can take courses early on to prepare for your internship.

Regarding whether you know exactly what you want to do, and how you write your essays I think back to something that Linda Meehan the assistant dean of admissions from Columbia said at an info session. She said that she's well aware that 60% of the people do not end up doing what they indicate in their applications, and if the school is doing its job it will be exposing students to a lot of different fields and ideas that might influence their career paths; but it was still important to show that you have given a lot of thought about what you want to do and to write about your goals convincingly. It's OK to change and expand after you get to school.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1117 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Although the GSB flexible curriculum is very attractive, if faced with this almighty decision (thank god I won't be) I would go with Kellogg because I am not a quant jock.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Strategy, and Accounting
Schools:Chicago Booth
 Q47  V44
Send PM
[#permalink]
I chose GSB. I just liked GSB people I have met much much better than Kellog people.

(Not to mention I was dinged by K ;) )
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
GMATT73 wrote:
Although the GSB flexible curriculum is very attractive, if faced with this almighty decision (thank god I won't be) I would go with Kellogg because I am not a quant jock.

This is generally speaking, my only worry with GSB. I'm much more a creative person than I am a math geek.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 130 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
If someone is interested in VC, then Kellogg is no match for GSB. GSB has a one-of-its-kinds "PE/VC" laborarory coursework, where you work 20-hours-a-week with a local chicago VC firm and get credits for this hands-on experience, not to mention the solid contacts and network you build in this process. To all the budding wannabe VCs, this can make all the difference. To add to this, there is a top-notch faculty, some of which have been accomplished VC partners in their previous jobs.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
sgrover wrote:
If someone is interested in VC, then Kellogg is no match for GSB. GSB has a one-of-its-kinds "PE/VC" laborarory coursework, where you work 20-hours-a-week with a local chicago VC firm and get credits for this hands-on experience, not to mention the solid contacts and network you build in this process. To all the budding wannabe VCs, this can make all the difference. To add to this, there is a top-notch faculty, some of which have been accomplished VC partners in their previous jobs.

You know, I have no idea what someone in VC really does. Care to enlighten me?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
rhyme wrote:
sgrover wrote:

Ask an entrepreneur and he would tell you exactly what a VC does - Sits on a pile of cash (which is ofcourse not his own), makes random decisions whether to fund an idea or not, values the company in an unjustifiable way, asks for a big equity stake, sits on the board of directors and interfere with the day-to-day operations, gets a huge salary and charges an enormous management fees on the fund profit..
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1649 [0]
Given Kudos: 781
Send PM
[#permalink]
sgrover wrote:
rhyme wrote:
sgrover wrote:

Ask an entrepreneur and he would tell you exactly what a VC does - Sits on a pile of cash (which is ofcourse not his own), makes random decisions whether to fund an idea or not, values the company in an unjustifiable way, asks for a big equity stake, sits on the board of directors and interfere with the day-to-day operations, gets a huge salary and charges an enormous management fees on the fund profit..

Oversimplified, but from the perspective of an entrepreneur, its understandable to look at it that way. VC firms have to show performance just like any other firm.

Some of you may enjoy taking this aptitude test..
https://blog.guykawasaki.com/2006/11/the ... e_cap.html
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
sgrover wrote:
rhyme wrote:
sgrover wrote:

I meant more on a day to day basis, what the job actually entails. I know what a VC does in that sense of course, I just meant what the day in the life was like.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
rhyme wrote:
sgrover wrote:
rhyme wrote:
sgrover wrote:

I meant more on a day to day basis, what the job actually entails. I know what a VC does in that sense of course, I just meant what the day in the life was like.

I dont have any first-hand VC experience. but, I would assume a lot of it depends on whether its an early stage or a late stage VC fund - Early stage VCs may be spending a lot of their time recruiting senior management for startups. Late stage may be working closely with Investment banks for getting out the IPO. Broadly speaking, a VC's job in a day would be socializing, meeting people, meeting CEOs of portfolio companies and offering their *expert* advice. Once in a while, they would ofcourse be working on deal structures. At Associate level, the job may involve conducting due-diligence and filtering out bad business plans from the good ones before reaching partner's desk.
Last month, I was reading "eBoys" - a great insider of Benchmark Capital partners. Its a good book to understand more about VC.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
rhyme

looks like you have already made your decision, as evident by your change in picture there...

;)
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
 1   2   3