Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 18:01 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 18:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 412 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 112 [0]
Send PM
Director
Director
Affiliations: FRM Charter holder
Own Kudos [?]: 411 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Stanford, Chicago Booth, Babson College
 Q48  V34 GMAT 2: 740  Q49  V42
GPA: 3.53
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 891 [0]
Concentration: Strategy - Finance
 Q49  V36
Send PM
[#permalink]
Even though you thought that you were not doing so good on the Quant. section and had troubles with the first questions, had to rush through many questions, and ended up seeing easy questions towards the end, you still managed to get a 49 on the Quant. section.

for the verbal, obviously you don't lack any technical or language skills. It is merely test taking and stress management skills that you need to improve. Just keep working on them and take more and more CATS and eventually ReTake the GMAT test again. i'm pretty sure you'll do better this time.

While I find 660 a decent score with your background, I still think: why limiting yourself with a 660 while your skills can take you further than that ?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 769 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I can feel what you feel, gmacvik. Putting in so much effort and not getting the expected result. From the description of your test, I feel that you were perhaps putting too much pressure on yourself, and wanted to make sure you get a correct answer too much. It resulted in your poor time management, especially in the Verbal section. Pressures build up. If you can't let one hard question go, then the coming ones will become harder for you because your brain will work less well when it is under too much stress, and you'll have shorter time.

If I were you I would take a good break, enjoy life with my wife and kid. Then don't wait for too long and take another shot. You already have a 660 score, which is very good already. And you are lucky to have a great supporting family. This time make sure you don't get stressed out for one or two questions.

You'll get it, believe in yourself.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
GMAT has gone into my blood; I can’t simply run away from it. I have decided to take the test again. Lets see who wins this time. Let me put my efforts again. Over the past few days, I have done a lot of intro/retrospection, and analyzed my weaknesses, the areas where I failed the most. I need to put special attention to these areas if I want to tame this GMAT. I have another 6-7 weeks to go, lets see if I can improve my score with new strategies.

1) As some of you pointed out while reading my post, Time Management is very crucial. During my last 2 attempts, I know that I screwed the Time Management.
It seems, I am spending too much time on the first 10-20 questions. In my last attempt, I spent 25 minutes on first 10 questions. Another 21 minutes on next 10. So I was left with a situation of 21 questions in 29 minutes.
During my 2nd attempt also, I was in the same situation. 20 questions to do in 30 minutes, 15 minutes for last 10 questions and then I had to guess those questions. I always remembered this situation, but still landed in the same situation this time also.

I analyzed my PR and KAPLAN tests, and found out the similar pattern. Almost always, I took 45 minutes for the first 20 questions and I was left with 15 minutes for the last 11 question. Hence I need to work out on this issue.

2) Not using the Grid approach. I relied too much on my mental ability to eliminate the answer choices. I think by doing this, I was re-reading the choices which were totally irrelevant and could have been eliminated completely. I need to use grid approach, as few seconds saved on each question can sum up to big minutes.

3) My strategy of doing SCs in < 1 minute backfired. I thought by doing SCs in less than a minute, I can allocate more time on CRs and RCs. This didn’t happen; I got SCs which took almost 2 minutes or more.

4) RC is my weakest area. While doing OG/LSAT material, my hit rate is good, but during practice tests- PR/KAPLAN/MGMAT…My hit rate is just around 50%. This brings down my verbal score. I am a non-native speaker, so I am not sure if this can be improved, given the 6-7 weeks time frame I have with me now. Still I have decided to do at least 5-6 RCs a day.

5) While analyzing PR and Kaplan test, I noticed I tend to put 3:30 to 4 minutes on some of the questions while finding the correct answer. I think no question is worth 2 or 2:30 minutes. If you are spending, more than 2 minutes on a question, you are digging your own graveyard.

6) While rushing thru the last questions in the real test, I made blind guesses on 3rd paragraph questions. I think this also brought my score down. One shouldn’t be getting 5-6 questions wrong in a row. Wrong/Right combination should be spread out.

7) Relying too much on question types offered by GMATPREP. One should be ready to see Convoluted SCs and CRs in the real test. So it is better to spend more time on GMATCLUB where we get variety of question types.

Lets see how many things I can put into practice. While rushing through the questions, I tend to forget the principles……..I am planning to take as many CATs as possible and work on TIME MANAGEMENT issue.

Meantime I got my AWA score, it is 5.0. The first one was 4.0, second one 4.5 and now 5.0. So there is a progress.

Comments/Suggestion are most welcome.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 89 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi gmacvik, it is indeed disheartening when you know that you put in your best efforts and did not get the desired results. But don't forget that this is only a temporary setback. You already have touched 660 and you know now what mistakes you have been making. That is a very important lesson one learns with each failed attempt.
So no need to lose heart over this and it's good that you have already figured out your plans for the next attempt and detailed your weak areas. Best of luck to you for your next attempt. Don't let this previous score come in between your next prep and demotivate you. There's always room for improvement.
See you around.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
[#permalink]
hi Gmacvik,

Please, don't give up. Try again. I remember some of your posts. You dfinately can cross 700 barrier. This time, try not to study, but work on your menthal conditions. Relax, have fun, forget about gmat. Then when you feel that you ready, go get it.

I noticed that your english is much better than is mine. I wonder, what does the gmat verbal test if not profficiency in english.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
My short advice would be: leave it alone and start working on apps for next year. Your highest score of 660 will be usually the one considered and it's pretty much within range for most schools. Focus on your goals post - MBA and do some research on schools before going through all this again. I'm not saying you would not be able to improve by committing and following advice, what I'm saying is:

1) it won't be easy at all.
2) Anyone taking GMAT more than 3 times may raise a flag.
3) There is not such a significant difference between your 660 high and your target 700.
4) You'll invest so much time and energy that your apps will not be good enough. And while people with 660 GMATs and great apps get into school all the time, 7XXs with crappy apps get dinged almost always.

I know this is GmatClub, but don't obsess with GMAT. Look at the bigger picture, get advice and then, if needed go back to GMAT.

Hope it helps. L.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 536 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hello Gmacvik,

Just read your post, and I am sorry for about your last score. I understand you very well, having gone through the same story, though I tried only twice. I had also the same time management problem.
But I see that 660 is your second score which is good. You're forcing yourself to score >=700 which represents an additionnal effort may be not necessary. It depends on the school you want but if I were you, I would keep 660. I was also thinking to try it a third time after 590 and 670 but I didn't need much time to see that I didn't want to study further. The studies had almost killed me over the last months and I better focus now on the apps.
Anyway, good luck if you want make a last attempt.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Great never give up you can WIN!!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1133 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Completed at SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - Class of 2008
 Q50  V34
Send PM
[#permalink]
gmacvik,

I know you can do it. Sorry to hear the result but I am happy that you are back to take another shot. Do let me know if you need any help from me.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
I shouldn't forget to thank god and my wife and my son...Thanks to everybody
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 65 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
gmacvik wrote:
I shouldn't forget to thank god and my wife and my son...Thanks to everybody

Wow....Congrats...What was different(in preparation) from the earlier atetempts of yours?

What a way to glory !! You did it....PLease debrief your preparation and the differences from your earlier atteampts...

Thanks
Director
Director
Affiliations: FRM Charter holder
Own Kudos [?]: 411 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Stanford, Chicago Booth, Babson College
 Q48  V34 GMAT 2: 740  Q49  V42
GPA: 3.53
Send PM
[#permalink]
Cogratulations Gmacvik :)

Good luck with apping.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 308 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Health Care Marketing
Schools:Ross '10
Send PM
[#permalink]
Your perseverance is remarkable.

Great job and good luck!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1133 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Completed at SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - Class of 2008
 Q50  V34
Send PM
[#permalink]
I had full faith in you. Congrats a good luck.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 117 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
U did it. Congratulations!!! admire your patience.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Great job. Congratulations.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1537 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
congratulation gmacvik! :good Such perseverance was bound to pay off. Here wishing you all the best for the next step.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
 1   2   
Moderator:
Founder
37301 posts