Forbes’ 10 Most Under-Rated Reasons to Get an MBA
Some people are dubious about the value of an MBA degree---see the link I mentioned recently, where UV Darden's Dean Robert Bruner sets straight the naysayers who argue, "But Steve Jobs didn't go to b-school..."--- so I'm always heartened to read a thoughtful, reasoned analysis of the benefits of business school. After all, I'm obviously a huge proponent of advanced management education!
Forbes contributor Eric Jackson recently posted list of the ten most under-rated reasons why you should get an MBA. Jackson writes that these are things you’re probably not even thinking about if you’re in b-school today, but will mean something several years from now.
I'll bullet-point it for you here, but click on over to read the entire article if you like where he's going with these often-glossed-over aspects.
1. ...the chance to stop and reflect on some big business issues.
2. ...the chance to make some lifelong friends who will accomplish great things over their careers in business.
3. ...the chance to realize how little you understand about the world.
4. ...the chance to learn about how to get a bunch of high-strung, Type-A personalities to work together as a team.
5. ...the chance to think about the global economy and not just your little world where you used to work.
6. ...the chance to interact with Professors who will really challenge you.
7. ...the chance to go listen to many accomplished executives when they come to talk at your school.
8. ...the chance to refocus yourself.
9. ...the chance to learn about managing people.
10. ...the chance to learn how to get up and string a few sentences together.
As you can see, an MBA is so much more than just the knowledge acquired in the classroom. The MBA degree is an investment in yourself, as well as a passport to new opportunities. The relationships you'll forge and the experiences you'll have are what will truly make the greatest long-term impact on your life and career.
If you are looking for guidance on your MBA application, Stacy Blackman Consulting can help with hourly and comprehensive consulting services. Contact us to learn more. Visit the website for Stacy Blackman Reviews, and check out the company’s e-publications for more in depth school-by-school guidance.