GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Sep 2019, 13:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Post MBA Opportunities in Asia?

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
Post MBA Opportunities in Asia?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2019, 04:03
What are the prospects for a INSEAD student getting employment in Asia without Asian language skills?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
Schools: LBS '22, ISB '20, IE '22
GPA: 3.6
WE: Marketing (Entertainment and Sports)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Post MBA Opportunities in Asia?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2019, 08:40
Singapore has become a major hub. Since Insead has a campus there as well, they can help you network for prospective employers there.

Thanks
Director
Director
V
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GPA: 3.67
WE: Pharmaceuticals (Health Care)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2019, 10:47
howsitgoing wrote:
What are the prospects for a INSEAD student getting employment in Asia without Asian language skills?

That will be difficult.
Basically, Mandarin is almost a requirement in the Asian Market, especially in Singapore and Malaysia (besides Taiwan, China and Hong Kong).
Why Mandarin although it is not the native language in these countries? Simply because the Chinese dominate the business industry.
Also may of these countries have strong businesses with Japan, so Japanese language is demanded.

Besides, Work permit is difficult to get unless you have a competitive experience that is not abundant in the Asian Market.
The governments are putting restrictions making it difficult for employers to hire expats for an entry level job. So it will be so difficult to get an entry level job in this market.

Third, Business hubs such as Singapore and Hong Kong are already overcrowded, and have already highly reputable universities such as NUS,
so the citizens are competitive and few expats can prove their superiority, Especially that a citizen with full awareness of the culture is considered advantageous.

In summary, I am not saying it is impossible, but to increase your odds, you need to have a strong academic and workplace experience first (such as MNC - tier 2), then an extra Asian language will be an asset.
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
Reviews Badge
Post MBA Opportunities in Asia?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 05 Aug 2019, 01:48
Singapore and Hong Kong are hubs for multinational companies across all sectors. For European and North American companies the office language in these hubs will typically be English. I work for one such company and across all of our offices in Asia the office language is English. Obviously being able to speak Mandarin or the local language helps, but it is not typically a strict requirement for employment.

As an INSEAD alumni told me recently, for the types of jobs that will attract INSEAD graduates (management consultancy, investment banking, startups, management roles in large, multinational companies etc), the INSEAD brand is well known and well respected which improves your chances of securing employment significantly, regardless of geography (except perhaps North America).

Originally posted by Pangolin on 04 Aug 2019, 23:26.
Last edited by Pangolin on 05 Aug 2019, 01:48, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
G
GMAT 1: 580 Q43 V27
WE: Sales (Energy and Utilities)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2019, 00:25
What Mahmoudfawzy83 says about hiring expats for an entry level job is true. Heard about Singapore's a year and half ago from one of my clients. Similarly, its true about Indonesia, 2016 or so a coworker of mine was done with everything(documentary process-visa etc.) for him to live and work, only to realize later that such things exist and that too recently introduced into the system. Thus, he had to stay back in the country but later he left the organisation.

As far as language is concerned Mandarin is a necessity for Chinese companies working anywhere in Asia. Knowing Japanese and Korean is a plus for companies form Japan and Korean respectively since i have worked with one of the largest Sogo-Shosha of Japan. :-D

Is this what we know and are witnessing as "Protectionism"?

GMATPREP1 590(Q48,V23) March 6, 2019
GMATPREP2 610(Q44,V29) June 10, 2019
GMATPREPSoft1 680(Q48,V35) June 26, 2019
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2019, 03:34
Seems like some mixed perception here.

So I take it that English may be fine for Singapore, however the difficulty lies in the work permits where Singapore government has been closing off to foreigners?
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2019, 04:34
Sorry for the double post but this really has me wondering - where exactly can one go with this "international" MBA?

Being an Australian, I was hoping to do an INSEAD MBA for a geographic/cultural change outside of the Commonwealth (i.e. Aus, New Zealand, England).
However:
- Asia: pretty much every country except Singapore requires fluent local language. But even now Singaporean government has closed off to foreigners.
- Europe: language requirements apply + work visa difficulties
- US: political/visa uncertainty for foreign job hunters (and better off going to a US business school for this)
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V37

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2019, 22:48
I think you made the right points, but that's the sad reality. Working in other countries without knowing local languages should always be challenging unless you know 'computer' languages. In your case, going to the USA for business school would be in your favor as you would adapt to the environment without difficulties.

However, if you are considering places other than the united states, you should focus on international cities such as Dubai and Singapore where INSEAD is very strong. There are many positions which require English only although you might need to compete with people from those regions.

Although you mentioned that Singaporean government closed off to foreigners, I would say it is still very favorable. The minimum salary requirement for the employment visa was lifted higher, but it is still quite low. (less than 4000 SGD) Visa process is relatively much more transparent and straightforward as compared to the united states. Once you find the sponsor, you can easily get the visa.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2019, 01:53
I believe places like Amsterdam, Berlin, Startups in Barcelona, Switzerland (with some healthcare companies) are more forgiving with work permits
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2019, 02:59
Pottercrazy111 wrote:
I believe places like Amsterdam, Berlin, Startups in Barcelona, Switzerland (with some healthcare companies) are more forgiving with work permits

Hi Potter,
Wont langauge be a problem in Spain, Germany and Switzerland?
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Post MBA Opportunities in Asia?   [#permalink] 14 Aug 2019, 02:59

Post MBA Opportunities in Asia?

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: MBAPrepCoach, Hideto