GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Oct 2019, 19:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Post-Study Visa in France (or Europe) for an American

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
Post-Study Visa in France (or Europe) for an American  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Dec 2014, 01:52
Hi everyone -

I'm considering an MBA at HEC and the deciding factor for me is employment. I'm an American but I'd like to live and work in Europe for the rest of my life. I previously studied at LSE but unfortunately, David Cameron cancelled the Post-Study Work Visa in 2011 (my year of entry) and I wasn't offered a single interview despite a high GPA and background in asset mgmt. Later, a recruiter at Commerzbank told me that they were told not to issue Visas to non-EU citizens. I don't want to end up in this situation again, especially after paying a relatively hefty tuition bill.

Have any Americans been able to secure employment in France/Europe and obtain work permits? Or has this been an issue, especially as of late due to the lingering economic downturn? If you have been allowed to stay, what do you think has been the deciding factor in obtaining a work permit? Your MBA or French language skills? Anything else?

The following links states that "...72% of the MBAs find jobs outside the country, largely in Europe but increasingly in China, Korea, Singapore and India, often with French firms such as L’Oreal, LVMH and Schneider Electric, that have been gaining a foothold in Asia."
poetsandquants com/2014/06/10/hec-paris-where-the-grande-ecole-has-gone-global/

Is this because they weren't allowed to stay in Europe?

The reason this is so important to me is that I received NO HELP from LSE when I came back to the US and began looking for a job. I was on my own and had to compete with people getting interviews through OCR. For someone who works in finance, this is not a good position to be in, as OCR in my opinion is one of the most valuable resources next to brand name.

Thanks and good luck with your apps!
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Re: Post-Study Visa in France (or Europe) for an American  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2015, 05:37
Hi McLaughin,

This is a great question. I wonder if you have more insight on this now since the past year. I am too an american HEC prospect for next year.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.6
WE: Supply Chain Management (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge
Re: Post-Study Visa in France (or Europe) for an American  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2015, 05:49
I would love to know this as well. I am Canadian, and getting a degree in Europe better helps me get a job there at least for a while to experience what it is like working across the Atlantic. I talked to HEC Paris' development manager and she basically said it was up to the students to secure the visa although they would help. To me it did not really mean anything, and I am hoping to see some concrete stats. OP was right, "many of our students branched out and explored international opportunities outside of France and Europe" sounds like they couldn't stay and had no choice but to return to wherever they were from.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Post-Study Visa in France (or Europe) for an American   [#permalink] 02 Nov 2015, 05:49

Post-Study Visa in France (or Europe) for an American

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: sjas31