GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 24 May 2020, 19:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

0/M7: Did I do something wrong?

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
B
0/M7: Did I do something wrong?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2020, 13:19
Hi Everyone,

I scored 0/M7 MBA's this year. First time applying and hired a consultant. I'm wondering if this is normal or did I likely screw something up based on my background?

- Indiana University Kelley (Honors) 3.75 GPA
- ATK for 5 years (above average performer)
- Last 2 years: family investment business (grew it considerably, think 5x)
- GMAT: 720 48Q/40V
- Essays: should be really good, bc I hired a consultant
- LoR's: From people related to family business (investors, etc.), but very very strong
- Interview: Likely went well, I was an interview coach previously

Alas, I am 0/M7. Wondering, if, based on my profile, this is reasonable, or did I mess up somewhere? Thanks in advance!
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: 0/M7: Did I do something wrong?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2020, 15:09
Hi. Sorry to hear about this result. Good question... Your profile looks fairly strong and right away nothing really jumps out at me. Which explains why you have a question. I do too. Did you get any interview invitations?

Knowing if you got an invitation from the school that doesn’t interview everyone, would indicate how far off the app was and if the interview helped or hurt you. Otherwise, I can only guess, obviously, but I would say one area of sensitivity would be not getting recommendations from your supervisors. Working for a family business can be a challenge when applying to business school....

Anyone else has a better idea?

Posted from my mobile device

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
WAMC! - What Are My Chances - Automated Profile Evaluation Tool is Here!
Everything we know about GMAT ONLINE is Here!
Alum
V
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2020, 15:30
I agree with bb 's overall assessment. Your profile looks great on paper. I have a couple of questions from you aside bb 's recommendation on analyzing your interview/decisions and specific schools:

1. Why did you choose to not get any recommendations from ATK? That might be a flag?
2. You mentioned that you hired a consultant which equals good essays? I am not sure of that. While I have confidence in the fact that you would be a great writer considering you worked in consulting for so long, consultants don't always guarantee a great app.
3. Finally knowing which schools you applied to would be good to know as well. Some M7 schools are much harder to get into than others. I am curious to know why you did not hedge beyond to apply to a school like Tuck/Ross/Fuqua.
G

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2020, 20:04
souvik101990 wrote:
....considering you worked in consulting for so long, consultants don't always guarantee a great app...
-Bahahaha
I am not an expert here like the other experts, but you have to remember that diversity is big factor in admissions. So while all the quantities variables may be in your favor, the qualitative output coming from your resume may not have been in your favor.

Also, remember some of these M7s aren’t really any better than some of the lower ranked schools (nobody has ever seen the M7 deans meeting). I also feel that ranking is a joke.
Just pick a school which will enable you to reach your post MBA goal (or maybe a PhD in marine biology is your calling).

Alum
V
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Re: 0/M7: Did I do something wrong?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Mar 2020, 00:59
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 20 Mar 2020, 06:43
souvik101990 wrote:
JohnJohnJ - you do realize that there’s a difference between admission consultants and strategy consultants right? Why troll?

I was only kidding! Sorry. I promise to fix my act here
GMAT Club Bot
0/M7: Did I do something wrong?   [#permalink] 20 Mar 2020, 06:43

0/M7: Did I do something wrong?

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: Regenerate, FinanceMan