Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 12:25 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 12:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 24
Schools: Stern '21
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 24
Schools: Stern '21
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 273 [1]
Given Kudos: 101
Send PM
Re: 1.5 Yrs Work experience Applying for 2020 [#permalink]
Kudos
ilepton wrote:
Hi ,
i’m currently working in an IT consultancy MNC in India with 1.5 years of experience, I always have been interested in pursuing MBA or MIM (because of less WE) as in future i see myself running my own venture, but right now i’m really confued about below point :

1. Should i quit my job and prepare for GMAT.
2. Should i just prepare for ielts as suggested by a consultant and apply for schools in Europe.
3. Should I increase my work experience and then apply for MBA programs in some good B-Schools.

I’m more inclined to quitting my job and then preparing whole heartedly for GMAT and then start appling for 2020 intakes.

Please everyone suggest and share your viewpoints on this as i’m new to this and i really need you experienced folks for help.

Posted from my mobile device

Hi. I'm also on the same bandwagon. I have 16 months of workex in manufacturing and I have already submitted my resignation. I'm done with engineering and I want to work in finance. I'm planning to apply for MiM in March. Right now preparing for GMAT.

First of all decide what you want to do. MiM or MBA. Check eligibility whether you have sufficient work ex for an MBA. Also, MBA is pretty expensive. Are you planning to switch to a different field or continue and just want managerial skills? If former, MiM is the better option. However post MiM you'll only get entry level roles. An MBA from India (PGDM) is also equivalent to MiM.

1. If you quit now and apply for 2020, then you'll have to justify what you did the entire year. I hope you have decided on that. Because most of the courses start in September and you will spend a long time at home before that.
2. Majority of the good schools won't accept you without a GMAT score. As an international student, it's advisable to only study at the best university to improve the chances of securing a job. So I would advise you against going for that option.
3.This is a better option. You can take the GMAT and apply to ISB. If your work ex is less than 2 years, you are eligible to apply and they will defer your admit for a year. After you have completed the required duration of work ex, you will start your studies.

Quitting your job and applying in 2020 doesn't seem a good idea. The longer you stretch your GMAT prep, the harder it gets. This is my personal opinion. Most of the counselor's out there don't know anything about MiM. It took me more than a year to understand this degree. Although it's not hard, you have to know what you want from this degree and start digging about it.

I hope this answer brought some clarity to you. Please give me kudos if you liked it :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Prateekj05 wrote:
ilepton wrote:
Hi ,
i’m currently working in an IT consultancy MNC in India with 1.5 years of experience, I always have been interested in pursuing MBA or MIM (because of less WE) as in future i see myself running my own venture, but right now i’m really confued about below point :

2. Should i just prepare for ielts as suggested by a consultant and apply for schools in Europe.
3. Should I increase my work experience and then apply for MBA programs in some good B-Schools.

I’m more inclined to quitting my job and then preparing whole heartedly for GMAT and then start appling for 2020 intakes.

Please everyone suggest and share your viewpoints on this as i’m new to this and i really need you experienced folks for help.

Hi. I'm also on the same bandwagon. I have 16 months of workex in manufacturing and I have already submitted my resignation. I'm done with engineering and I want to work in finance. I'm planning to apply for MiM in March. Right now preparing for GMAT.

First of all decide what you want to do. MiM or MBA. Check eligibility whether you have sufficient work ex for an MBA. Also, MBA is pretty expensive. Are you planning to switch to a different field or continue and just want managerial skills? If former, MiM is the better option. However post MiM you'll only get entry level roles. An MBA from India (PGDM) is also equivalent to MiM.

1. If you quit now and apply for 2020, then you'll have to justify what you did the entire year. I hope you have decided on that. Because most of the courses start in September and you will spend a long time at home before that.
2. Majority of the good schools won't accept you without a GMAT score. As an international student, it's advisable to only study at the best university to improve the chances of securing a job. So I would advise you against going for that option.
3.This is a better option. You can take the GMAT and apply to ISB. If your work ex is less than 2 years, you are eligible to apply and they will defer your admit for a year. After you have completed the required duration of work ex, you will start your studies.

Quitting your job and applying in 2020 doesn't seem a good idea. The longer you stretch your GMAT prep, the harder it gets. This is my personal opinion. Most of the counselor's out there don't know anything about MiM. It took me more than a year to understand this degree. Although it's not hard, you have to know what you want from this degree and start digging about it.

I hope this answer brought some clarity to you. Please give me kudos if you liked it :)

Thanks for the advise i’ll be researching more about the courses and colleges and will start preparing for GMAT alongside my job and few months before the exam will leave my job and will focus on the preparation only.

Thanks and I hope you get the college you desire :)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11666 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi ilepton,

To start, you do NOT need to quit your job to study (regardless of the Exam that you're preparing for). Many Test Takers spend 3 months (or more) of consistent study time before they hit their 'peak' scores, so you have to think in terms of studying as more of a 'part-time job' (and not a full-time job).

In the short term, you should probably do a bit more research and define exactly what you want your future Degree to do for you. In addition, if you can better define the types of Schools/Programs that best match up with your career goals, then you should be able to put together a more detailed timeline and list of tasks so that you can properly apply with a strong overall application.

Since it sounds like you're just beginning your studies, then it would be a good idea to take a FULL-LENGTH practice CAT Test; you can take 2 for free at www.mba.com (and they come with some additional practice materials). If you want to do a little studying first, so that you can familiarize yourself with the basic content and question types, then that's okay - but you shouldn't wait too long to take that initial CAT. That score will give us a good sense of your natural strengths and weaknesses and will help provide a basis for comparison as you continue to study. A FULL CAT takes about 3.5 hours to complete, so make sure that you've set aside enough time to take it in one sitting. Once you have those scores, you should report back here and we can come up with a study plan.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [1]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
ilepton wrote:
Hi ,

1. Generally, it's not a good idea to quit your job just for the GMAT. An admissions committee will take a lot of things into account, and the GMAT is just one of those things. Don't underestimate the importance of the rest of your application :-)

2. I'm not sure why you're being advised to avoid schools that need a GMAT score, but at a minimum, taking the GMAT will give you more (and probably better) options.

3. Work experience is important for most MBA programs, but that doesn't affect your decision to take the GMAT now (or soon). All GMAT scores are valid for 5 years, so you can take the GMAT now and apply later.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Sheetal15 wrote:
We are on the same page. But what i would advice is quitting job for GMAT wouldn't make much sense because if you are planning to apply for an MBA programme, work experience is the must, besides the GMAT score which has only 20% weight age in your whole selection process. In case, you are sure to go with the Mim programme you may risk your work experience as per the universities you are targeting. Though I get that its tough to work and study simultaneously and score in 700's,yet lil tweaks may work for you. I would suggest you to do more research before you decide what do you really want to go for Mim or Mba. Also, make sure you are pretty firm about the schools and their requirements. That would help you to come to a conclusion :)

Thanks for your advice , i was planning for essec 2020 september batch for MIM and for that i need gmat 700+ along with 0-2 yrs of work experience i know it’s not advisable to leave the job but getting a good GMAT score will surely help with scholarships and does make an significant impact.
Also as you are also in the same boat , do share your experience about how you’re tackling all this.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thank you all for your suggestions, i’ll keep posting my progress so you can advice me if needed.

GMAT Club Bot