Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 21:10 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 21:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 730 Q46 V44
GPA: 3.01
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 512 [0]
Given Kudos: 73
Concentration: Leadership, Operations
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 96 [0]
Given Kudos: 314
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 590 Q37 V33
GPA: 4
WE:Law (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 386 [0]
Given Kudos: 114
Concentration: Accounting, Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Re: 1 Month to get quant from 46 to 49? [#permalink]
hero_with_1000_faces wrote:
If you are already at 46, i recommend dont do anything else just get GMATCLUBTEST and start taking mocks and analyzing them.

My quant range in gmatclub test is 30-35. I find them extremely hard. and finally lose the hope to improve. How should I use gmatclub quant test properly?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 96 [0]
Given Kudos: 314
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 590 Q37 V33
GPA: 4
WE:Law (Manufacturing)
Send PM
RashedVai wrote:
hero_with_1000_faces wrote:
If you are already at 46, i recommend dont do anything else just get GMATCLUBTEST and start taking mocks and analyzing them.

My quant range in gmatclub test is 30-35. I find them extremely hard. and finally lose the hope to improve. How should I use gmatclub quant test properly?

Well, I was scoring initally in 30-35, I agree its quite challenging, but dont take the scores too personally.
Later I improved to 45-47, it will take time and need to have patience.

Importantly Give mocks and download all the logs, and maintain it as error logs, review them deeply.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 730 Q46 V44
GPA: 3.01
Send PM
sjas31 wrote:
Hi jshilling09 ..
Welcome to Gmatclub. You already have a great score and looks like you want to get fabulous 760+. What are the resources you have used till now for Quant? Did you used some prep course last time? I am sure with right approach, guidance and strategy, you can improve to Q49 in a month. Q46 suggests that there is still some room for improvement in fundamentals. Do you know the topics on which you don't have a good command?

1. People generally start without timer while preparing or polishing fundamentals. First, you must go to Quant fundamentals again or twice if possible. You can distribute some questions with timer (easy level) and some without timer (medium/hard).
2. Once you do the Point no. 1, you can give some mock tests and MUST SKIP the hard/strange questions, which you know you can't solve within 3 minutes. Your focus should be on to correct all easy and medium level questions.
3. If you follow the MATH, you will never get your desired score. GMAC calls it Quantitative Reasoning, it is a test of reasoning while knowing math facts and formulas.

I recommend you to look at re-take study plan here
Take a look at best Quant prep courses to improve strategy and score: TargetTestPrep ( ScottTargetTestPrep ) and Empowergmat ( EMPOWERgmatRichC )

Follow the above mentioned Experts including 'Bunuel'. All the best.

I used the Kaplan self-paced online course and took 7 CATs. Thank you this is very helpful information. I didn't know about this forum (or really anything) when I took my test the first time. I just signed up for kaplan because I used them to study for the SATs. I have gotten Manhattan Prep books from my friend who is in B-school now. Are those a good resource? I have found their basic strategies for quant different than Kaplan in a good way. Right now my plan is to drill the basic math skills (fractions, prime factors, simplifying algebraic equations, anything else?) for a few days, then start working on practice problems, time management, guessing techniques. I also plan to be active on the forums and post quant questions while doing my best to help out with other people's verbal questions! Thanks for the feedback and the kind welcome to the forum!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi jshilling09,

First off, a 730/Q46 is an outstanding Score, so you can comfortably apply to any Business Schools that interest you. As such, a retest might not be necessary. Depending on the Schools that you plan to apply to, you would likely find it beneficial to speak with an Admissions Expert about your overall profile and plans. There's a Forum full of those Experts here:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/ask-admissio ... tants-124/

There's no harm in retesting though - and raising your Q46 would almost certainly benefit your overall application. Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied? How many hours do you typically study each week?
2) On what dates did you take EACH of your CATs/mocks and how did you score on EACH (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

Goals:
3) When is your exact retest date?
4) What Schools are you planning to apply to and what application deadlines are you currently facing?

You might also choose to purchase the Enhanced Score Report. While the ESR doesn’t provide a lot of information, there are usually a few data points that we can use to define what you should work on to score higher. If you purchase the ESR, then I'll be happy to analyze it for you. In addition, since GMAT skills tend to 'fade' over time - and it's been a couple of months since you took the GMAT - you might want to take a new, FULL-LENGTH CAT sometime soon (perhaps this weekend) so that we can get a sense of your current skills, strengths and weaknesses.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 512 [0]
Given Kudos: 73
Concentration: Leadership, Operations
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
jshilling09 wrote:
I used the Kaplan self-paced online course and took 7 CATs. Thank you this is very helpful information. I didn't know about this forum (or really anything) when I took my test the first time. I just signed up for kaplan because I used them to study for the SATs. I have gotten Manhattan Prep books from my friend who is in B-school now. Are those a good resource? I have found their basic strategies for quant different than Kaplan in a good way. Right now my plan is to drill the basic math skills (fractions, prime factors, simplifying algebraic equations, anything else?) for a few days, then start working on practice problems, time management, guessing techniques. I also plan to be active on the forums and post quant questions while doing my best to help out with other people's verbal questions! Thanks for the feedback and the kind welcome to the forum!

Hi,
Yes, Manhattan prep books are good. I am sure different prep companies suggest different strategies. It depends on a person to choose the strategy, which suites him. It would be great that you follow the experts which I suggested on my last reply. Also, I recommend you to find the questions (most of them are discussed) and check our posting rules before posting to avoid duplicates. If you do not find the questions, please feel free to post them. All the best for your preparation :)
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2103 [0]
Given Kudos: 77
Send PM
1 Month to get quant from 46 to 49? [#permalink]
jshilling09 wrote:
Hi All,

First post on the forum. I took the GMAT for the first time back in September and scored Q 46. I studied pretty diligently and spent more time on quant than verbal. I am retaking in a month, and am going to start studying tomorrow. I want to achieve a Q49 and have a few questions about my prep for people in that range.

1. Are you timing yourselves on every practice problem? I think I am shaky on some fundamentals and struggled with time on my first go round. Do I correct this by timing myself every practice problem or should I first slowly go through the problems?

2. Are there any general tips on time management? Starting around question 8 or so last test I felt insanely pressed on time.

3. Are you solving more questions based on knowing the math cold or are you getting creative and finding quick solutions/ guesses?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Congratulations on getting a 730 with a fantastic Verbal score. Increasing from Q46 to Q49 is possible in a month's time so you must give your 100%.

Since you have mentioned that you were "shaky on some fundamentals", my advice to you would be really clear all your doubts in topics in which you are shaky. Once you are confident about your fundamentals, you will feel more confident and take less time to answer questions. Your timing will automatically improve.

In addition to the aforesaid, you need to practice in timed conditions after you improve on your fundamentals. Look at the solutions provided by many users on GMATCLUB you will definitely find multiple approaches many users take on a particular question. Maintain an error log and review your mistakes regularly and learn from your mistakes. Develop strategies to tackle various types of questions.

You will find loads of advice on GMAT club because lots of users face similar problems to that of yours. You may search for GMATCLUB using keywords.

For example click here here, here and here

Wishing you all the very best for your exam.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22049 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi jshilling09,

First off, I’d like to address your issues with timing. Honestly, the best way to improve your timing is by improving your GMAT quant skills. As you develop mastery of each individual quant topic, better timing WILL follow. In fact, a great way to know how well you have mastered a particular topic is to be cognizant of your reaction time when seeing a particular question. For example, consider the following simple question with which many students who are beginning their prep struggle:

14! is equal to which of the following?

(A) 87,178,291,200
(B) 88,180,293,207
(C) 89,181,294,209
(D) 90,000,000,003
(E) 91,114,114,114

Upon seeing this question, what is the first thing that comes to mind? Trying to add up the values in the expression? If you are able to quickly recognize that using the “5 x 2 pair rule” will allow you to attack the problem quickly and efficiently (see the solution below).

Solution:

14! = 14 × 13 × 12 × 11 × 10 × 9 × 8 × 7 × 6 × 5 × 4 × 3 × 2 × 1.

Notice that there is at least one (5 × 2) pair contained in the product of these numbers. It follows that the units digit must be a zero. The only number with zero as the units digit is 87,178,291,200.

Answer: A

Although this is just one example of many, you see that you must have many tools in your toolbox to efficiently attack each GMAT quant question that comes your way. As you gain these skills, you will get faster.

You also may find it helpful to read the following article:

How to Get Faster at Solving GMAT Questions

Regarding how to move forward with your prep, since you are looking for quant help, as has been mentioned, TTP would be an awesome resource for you. We are the top-rated quant course here on GMAT Club and have helped numerous students in your situation improve to Q49+ GMAT quant scores.

Certainly, if you have any further questions regarding your study plan or about TTP, feel free to reach out to me directly.

Good luck!
GMAT Club Bot