GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 29 Mar 2020, 17:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

10 days remaining for GMAT exam

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Joined: 03 Sep 2019
Posts: 22
10 days remaining for GMAT exam  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2019, 09:57
Hello,
So i have booked my date on the 10th of November. Since i have exhausted most of my material i am not sure how to study further. I am done studying the OG, Manhattan 700-800 level questions sets for verbal, Jamboree material, and i have given around 9-10 mock tests. Out of these mocks 3 of them were official G-Preps and my scores were as follows:
1) G-Prep 1- 690 (Q49,V34)
2) G-Prep 2- 720 (Q50,V38)
3) G-Prep 5- 720 (Q50,V38)

Even after giving so many mocks i get a feeling that i can do much better provided i don't make silly errors. Most of the times even though i know the concept i end up making some or the other error in selecting the answer choice (most of the time i can narrow down the options to two). I think in the last 2 g-preps i could've gotten a much better score provided i did not commit these errors (Around 3-4 questions in Verbal and 1-2 questions in Quant). My target is 710+.
it would be really great if someone could help me with a study plan for the last 7 days and how to improve upon these silly errors. (PS- All my g-preps were taken in a realistic manner in the test center at Jamboree Education). Also how many more mock tests should i be taking and how frequently?
Tutor
User avatar
D
Joined: 16 May 2019
Posts: 444
10 days remaining for GMAT exam  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 03 Nov 2019, 03:06
1
Chinmay1998 wrote:
Hello,
So i have booked my date on the 10th of November. Since i have exhausted most of my material i am not sure how to study further. I am done studying the OG, Manhattan 700-800 level questions sets for verbal, Jamboree material, and i have given around 9-10 mock tests. Out of these mocks 3 of them were official G-Preps and my scores were as follows:
1) G-Prep 1- 690 (Q49,V34)
2) G-Prep 2- 720 (Q50,V38)
3) G-Prep 5- 720 (Q50,V38)

Even after giving so many mocks i get a feeling that i can do much better provided i don't make silly errors. Most of the times even though i know the concept i end up making some or the other error in selecting the answer choice (most of the time i can narrow down the options to two). I think in the last 2 g-preps i could've gotten a much better score provided i did not commit these errors (Around 3-4 questions in Verbal and 1-2 questions in Quant). My target is 710+.
it would be really great if someone could help me with a study plan for the last 7 days and how to improve upon these silly errors. (PS- All my g-preps were taken in a realistic manner in the test center at Jamboree Education). Also how many more mock tests should i be taking and how frequently?


Hello, Chinmay1998. You may find the following thread useful to comb through:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/1-week-left-trying-to-add-another-10-or-20-points-to-pre-existing-306687.html

In it, you will notice that the original poster was in a pretty similar situation, but with only a week to go. As for eliminating silly errors, you have to consider what is causing you to make them in the first place. Is it time pressure? It is less familiarity with certain concepts (kind of falling into a grey area, meaning you are only sure about the correct line of reasoning in retrospect)? Are you not writing down as much as you could be to help organize your thoughts? I know it can be annoying to make such errors, but until you spend time analyzing why you are making them, on a fairly consistent basis at that, you will likely continue to make them in one way or another each time you practice full sets of questions.

Good luck with your studies, however you decide to approach these last 10 days. (I might take advantage of some of the free GMAT Club mocks during the Halloween festivities.)

- Andrew

Originally posted by MentorTutoring on 30 Oct 2019, 17:17.
Last edited by MentorTutoring on 03 Nov 2019, 03:06, edited 1 time in total.
Target Test Prep Representative
User avatar
V
Status: Founder & CEO
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Joined: 14 Oct 2015
Posts: 9892
Location: United States (CA)
Re: 10 days remaining for GMAT exam  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2019, 08:16
1
Hi Chinmay1998,

Since you have roughly 10 days until your GMAT, I would take one or two more practice exams, but be sure that your last practice exam is no later than 3 days prior to your actual GMAT. After taking each practice exam make sure to spend time analyzing your mistakes and fixing any weak areas found in quant and verbal.

In addition to taking practice exams, you may find it helpful to engage in focused practice of each individual quant and verbal topic. For example, let’s say that you want to practice Number Properties. You can do so by answering 50 or more questions just from Number Properties: LCM, GCF, units digit patterns, divisibility, remainders, etc. As you do such practice, do a thorough analysis of each question that you don't get right. If you got a remainder question wrong, ask yourself why. Did you make a careless mistake? Did you not properly apply the remainder formula? Was there a concept you did not understand in the question? By carefully analyzing your mistakes, you will be able to efficiently fix your weaknesses and in turn improve your GMAT quant skills. Number Properties is just one example; follow this process for all quant and verbal topics.

Lastly, try to keep busy with activities other than GMAT prep: go out to dinner, go to the movies, binge-watch Netflix, go for a run … Do whatever you have to so you don’t spend the days leading up to your exam worrying about how things will go.

You also may find it helpful to read this article with more advice on how to treat the final week leading up to your exam as well as some test day tips.

Keep up the positive thoughts, try to relax, and crush the test!! Let me know how things turn out.
_________________

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
197 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Joined: 03 Sep 2019
Posts: 22
Re: 10 days remaining for GMAT exam  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Nov 2019, 01:36
ScottTargetTestPrep wrote:
Hi Chinmay1998,

Since you have roughly 10 days until your GMAT, I would take one or two more practice exams, but be sure that your last practice exam is no later than 3 days prior to your actual GMAT. After taking each practice exam make sure to spend time analyzing your mistakes and fixing any weak areas found in quant and verbal.

In addition to taking practice exams, you may find it helpful to engage in focused practice of each individual quant and verbal topic. For example, let’s say that you want to practice Number Properties. You can do so by answering 50 or more questions just from Number Properties: LCM, GCF, units digit patterns, divisibility, remainders, etc. As you do such practice, do a thorough analysis of each question that you don't get right. If you got a remainder question wrong, ask yourself why. Did you make a careless mistake? Did you not properly apply the remainder formula? Was there a concept you did not understand in the question? By carefully analyzing your mistakes, you will be able to efficiently fix your weaknesses and in turn improve your GMAT quant skills. Number Properties is just one example; follow this process for all quant and verbal topics.

Lastly, try to keep busy with activities other than GMAT prep: go out to dinner, go to the movies, binge-watch Netflix, go for a run … Do whatever you have to so you don’t spend the days leading up to your exam worrying about how things will go.

You also may find it helpful to read this article with more advice on how to treat the final week leading up to your exam as well as some test day tips.

Keep up the positive thoughts, try to relax, and crush the test!! Let me know how things turn out.


Hello Sir,
Thank you so much for your reply. Extremely sorry for the delay in response. I will make sure to adhere to the strategies mentioned in the thread and try my best on the exam day.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Joined: 03 Sep 2019
Posts: 22
10 days remaining for GMAT exam  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Nov 2019, 01:43
MentorTutoring wrote:
Chinmay1998 wrote:
Hello,
So i have booked my date on the 10th of November. Since i have exhausted most of my material i am not sure how to study further. I am done studying the OG, Manhattan 700-800 level questions sets for verbal, Jamboree material, and i have given around 9-10 mock tests. Out of these mocks 3 of them were official G-Preps and my scores were as follows:
1) G-Prep 1- 690 (Q49,V34)
2) G-Prep 2- 720 (Q50,V38)
3) G-Prep 5- 720 (Q50,V38)

Even after giving so many mocks i get a feeling that i can do much better provided i don't make silly errors. Most of the times even though i know the concept i end up making some or the other error in selecting the answer choice (most of the time i can narrow down the options to two). I think in the last 2 g-preps i could've gotten a much better score provided i did not commit these errors (Around 3-4 questions in Verbal and 1-2 questions in Quant). My target is 710+.
it would be really great if someone could help me with a study plan for the last 7 days and how to improve upon these silly errors. (PS- All my g-preps were taken in a realistic manner in the test center at Jamboree Education). Also how many more mock tests should i be taking and how frequently?


Hello, Chinmay1998. You may the following thread useful to comb through:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/1-week-left-trying-to-add-another-10-or-20-points-to-pre-existing-306687.html

In it, you will notice that the original poster was in a pretty similar situation, but with only a week to go. As for eliminating silly errors, you have to consider what is causing you to make them in the first place. Is it time pressure? It is less familiarity with certain concepts (kind of falling into a grey area, meaning you are only sure about the correct line of reasoning in retrospect)? Are you not writing down as much as you could be to help organize your thoughts? I know it can be annoying to make such errors, but until you spend time analyzing why you are making them, on a fairly consistent basis at that, you will likely continue to make them in one way or another each time you practice full sets of questions.

Good luck with your studies, however you decide to approach these last 10 days. (I might take advantage of some of the free GMAT Club mocks during the Halloween festivities.)

- Andrew

Hello,
Thank you so much for the reply. Sorry for the delayed response. I had done this and practiced on my weaknesses. But to my surprise my scores in the G-Prep dropped suddenly from 720 to 670 with V-31 and Q-49. I had solved 26/36 questions correct still the score was pretty less. I know that the scoring algorithm takes many factors into account but still its quite low. I had got many of the 700-800 level questions correct but made mistakes in 3-4 sub 600 level questions. Its really disappointing since most of the silly mistakes i make are in the easy questions. My GMAT is on the coming Saturday and there is not much i can think of to improve this.

Posted from my mobile device
Tutor
User avatar
D
Joined: 16 May 2019
Posts: 444
Re: 10 days remaining for GMAT exam  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Nov 2019, 03:38
1
Chinmay1998 wrote:
Hello,
Thank you so much for the reply. Sorry for the delayed response. I had done this and practiced on my weaknesses. But to my surprise my scores in the G-Prep dropped suddenly from 720 to 670 with V-31 and Q-49. I had solved 26/36 questions correct still the score was pretty less. I know that the scoring algorithm takes many factors into account but still its quite low. I had got many of the 700-800 level questions correct but made mistakes in 3-4 sub 600 level questions. Its really disappointing since most of the silly mistakes i make are in the easy questions. My GMAT is on the coming Saturday and there is not much i can think of to improve this.

Posted from my mobile device


No worries about the delay in response, Chinmay1998. I would assume you would have better ways to spend your time, such as actually studying, than to be a diligent keyboard pen-pal. Although the number of correct responses can weigh somewhat into your eventual score--you cannot hit a perfect Q51 by missing a handful of problems, for example--by far, more important considerations include the following:

1) What level of questions--Easy, Medium, Hard--do you tend to miss?
Dropping points on the two easier categories will really hurt your eventual score. I was able to observe this firsthand in the past month when by chance, I had two clients take different official practice tests, miss the same number of questions, and walk away with a Quant score 6 points apart. The difference? The one who scored lower had pursued each question in the beginning with a dogged determination to crack it, and by the time she had slogged through a dozen or so Hard questions, her mental state was in a shambles. She blindly clicked through several questions toward the end of the test just to finish in time. Many of those missed questions ended up being Medium and then, later, Easy. Meanwhile, the one who scored higher had just gone through and taken a stab at everything, but had never really reached into the upper levels of what the test had to offer. Her accuracy across Easy questions was 100 percent, Medium was in the 90s. So basically, the test kept trying to push her into harder questions, she would get some right, some wrong, and kind of bounce back and forth around the same upper level until she reached the end. I was surprised myself by the marked difference in their scores.

2) When are you missing questions, and are they here and there, or back to back?
Despite what GMAC™ claims in the OG, the test really does place more emphasis on the earlier portion than the latter portion. See, for instance, the following Mythbusters article by Bunuel:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-prep-software-analysis-and-what-if-scenarios-146146.html#p1171760

I have observed similar trends in the ESRs my clients have asked me to look over. So yes, make those earlier questions count, but as per 1) above, do not obsess so much over the earlier portion of the test that you shoot yourself in the foot when it comes to the rest.

3) Do your careless errors come on PS or DS questions?
PS questions seem to swing the eventual score more than DS questions, perhaps because most people find DS questions trickier. This is not a license to treat each DS question as a bonus, but it should make you focus a little more on PS questions and getting them right.

I suspect that the above will give you some food for thought. If you need further suggestions, keep bouncing ideas off us right here in this forum. Good luck. (There is still time to refine your thinking.)

- Andrew
Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Joined: 03 Sep 2019
Posts: 22
Re: 10 days remaining for GMAT exam  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2019, 09:26
MentorTutoring wrote:
Chinmay1998 wrote:
Hello,
Thank you so much for the reply. Sorry for the delayed response. I had done this and practiced on my weaknesses. But to my surprise my scores in the G-Prep dropped suddenly from 720 to 670 with V-31 and Q-49. I had solved 26/36 questions correct still the score was pretty less. I know that the scoring algorithm takes many factors into account but still its quite low. I had got many of the 700-800 level questions correct but made mistakes in 3-4 sub 600 level questions. Its really disappointing since most of the silly mistakes i make are in the easy questions. My GMAT is on the coming Saturday and there is not much i can think of to improve this.

Posted from my mobile device


No worries about the delay in response, Chinmay1998. I would assume you would have better ways to spend your time, such as actually studying, than to be a diligent keyboard pen-pal. Although the number of correct responses can weigh somewhat into your eventual score--you cannot hit a perfect Q51 by missing a handful of problems, for example--by far, more important considerations include the following:

1) What level of questions--Easy, Medium, Hard--do you tend to miss?
Dropping points on the two easier categories will really hurt your eventual score. I was able to observe this firsthand in the past month when by chance, I had two clients take different official practice tests, miss the same number of questions, and walk away with a Quant score 6 points apart. The difference? The one who scored lower had pursued each question in the beginning with a dogged determination to crack it, and by the time she had slogged through a dozen or so Hard questions, her mental state was in a shambles. She blindly clicked through several questions toward the end of the test just to finish in time. Many of those missed questions ended up being Medium and then, later, Easy. Meanwhile, the one who scored higher had just gone through and taken a stab at everything, but had never really reached into the upper levels of what the test had to offer. Her accuracy across Easy questions was 100 percent, Medium was in the 90s. So basically, the test kept trying to push her into harder questions, she would get some right, some wrong, and kind of bounce back and forth around the same upper level until she reached the end. I was surprised myself by the marked difference in their scores.

2) When are you missing questions, and are they here and there, or back to back?
Despite what GMAC™ claims in the OG, the test really does place more emphasis on the earlier portion than the latter portion. See, for instance, the following Mythbusters article by Bunuel:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-prep-software-analysis-and-what-if-scenarios-146146.html#p1171760

I have observed similar trends in the ESRs my clients have asked me to look over. So yes, make those earlier questions count, but as per 1) above, do not obsess so much over the earlier portion of the test that you shoot yourself in the foot when it comes to the rest.

3) Do your careless errors come on PS or DS questions?
PS questions seem to swing the eventual score more than DS questions, perhaps because most people find DS questions trickier. This is not a license to treat each DS question as a bonus, but it should make you focus a little more on PS questions and getting them right.

I suspect that the above will give you some food for thought. If you need further suggestions, keep bouncing ideas off us right here in this forum. Good luck. (There is still time to refine your thinking.)

- Andrew

Hello,
Thanks a lot for your response. Indeed it is quite helpful know the pattern of the mistakes that i make. I also went through Bunuel's post and it does give me an insight of which questions i should give more importance to. With all this in mind i think it will definitely boost my score or at least increase my confidence.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: 10 days remaining for GMAT exam   [#permalink] 05 Nov 2019, 09:26
Display posts from previous: Sort by

10 days remaining for GMAT exam

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: DisciplinedPrep






cron

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne