Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 14:23 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 14:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618584 [5]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6856 [4]
Given Kudos: 500
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 126 [2]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
GPA: 3.96
WE:Business Development (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [3]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Statistics, Strategy
WE:General Management (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Re: 12 Days of Christmas GMAT Competition - Day 6: The new technology empl [#permalink]
Kudos
Correct answer: A

(A) to measure distances to Earth and generate highly accurate topographical maps for researchers to assess likely volcanic floodplains.
*The sentence correctly puts focus on the new technology being used to measures distances and not satellites.
*Placement of 'likely' next to volcanic foodplains is correct

(B) that measure distances to Earth and generate highly accurate topographical maps of volcanic floodplains for researchers to likely assess.
*'that measure' is ambiguous usage as it refers to satellites incorrectly. Further the sense of intentionally (to measure) is lost.
* 'Likely' placement is incorrect

(C) for likely measuring distances to Earth and generating highly accurate topographical maps of volcanic floodplains for researchers to assess.
* Placement of likely is incorrect
* 'To measure' is a better usage than 'for measuring'

(D) to measure distances to Earth and likely generate highly accurate topographical maps to researchers to assess volcanic floodplains.
* Placement of likely is incorrect
* Maps are not 'generated to researchers', but 'generated for researchers'

(E) that measure distances to Earth and generate highly accurate topographical maps for researchers likely to assess volcanic floodplains.
*'that measure' is ambiguous usage as it refers to satellites incorrectly. Further the sense of intentionally (to measure) is lost.
*Placement of likely is incorrect

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 216 [3]
Given Kudos: 96
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: 12 Days of Christmas GMAT Competition - Day 6: The new technology empl [#permalink]
Kudos
The new technology employs light detection and ranging (LIDAR), using lasers from satellites to measure distances to Earth and generate highly accurate topographical maps for researchers to assess likely volcanic floodplains.

(A) to measure distances to Earth and generate highly accurate topographical maps for researchers to assess likely volcanic floodplains. --> correct

(B) that measure distances to Earth and generate highly accurate topographical maps of volcanic floodplains for researchers to likely assess.
--> The sentence is incomplete in the sense that it does not specify 'to likely assess what?'

(C) for likely measuring distances to Earth and generating highly accurate topographical maps of volcanic floodplains for researchers to assess.
--> 'Lasers...for likely measuring' - this construction changes the original meaning

(D) to measure distances to Earth and likely generate highly accurate topographical maps to researchers to assess volcanic floodplains.
--> 'maps to researchers' is incorrect

(E) that measure distances to Earth and generate highly accurate topographical maps for researchers likely to assess volcanic floodplains.
--> 'satellites that measure distances..' although this structure seems alright, notice that the original sentence intends to explain that the 'distance measure' is done by new technology and not by satellites.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 366 [2]
Given Kudos: 748
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44
Send PM
Kudos
My answer is A
This question is mostly about meaning and idioms

The main clause in the sentence is "The new technology employs light detection and ranging (LIDAR)"

The underlined part is in the long modifier that provides additional information:
"using lasers from satellites to measure distances to Earth and generate highly accurate topographical maps for researchers to assess likely volcanic floodplains".

A simplified version of the modifier:
"using lasers ... to measure distances ... and generate maps for researchers to assess likely volcanic floodplains".

This long modifier tells us that the new technology uses lasers to do two things: to measure and to generate. TO MEASURE DISTANCES is parallel with (TO) GENERATE MAPS, so the parallelism is fine.

The original sentence does not have any obvious problems in grammar or meaning.

- B says that it's the SATELLITES that measure and generate: change in meaning
- "maps of volcanic floodplains for researchers to likely assess": another change in meaning
- "to likely assess": not idiomatic
- Eliminate

- "for likely measuring .. and generating: not idiomatic
- "highly accurate topographical maps of volcanic floodplains for researchers to assess" : change in meaning
- eliminate

- "(to) likely generate ... maps to researchers": change in meaning and not idiomatic
- eliminate

- same problem as in B; says that SATELLITES measure distances: change in meaning
- "researchers likely to assess volcanic floodplains" : change in meaning
- eliminate

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 118 [2]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Kudos
parallelism issues and meaning

(A) to measure distances to Earth and generate highly accurate topographical maps for researchers to assess likely volcanic floodplains. - Correct - Parallel and meaning of generating maps for researchers to assess them.

(B) that measure distances to Earth and generate highly accurate topographical maps of volcanic floodplains for researchers to likely assess. - Incorrect - likely assess what?

(C) for likely measuring distances to Earth and generating highly accurate topographical maps of volcanic floodplains for researchers to assess. - incorrect - for likely is awkward

(D) to measure distances to Earth and likely generate highly accurate topographical maps to researchers to assess volcanic floodplains. - incorrect - generate maps to researchers

(E) that measure distances to Earth and generate highly accurate topographical maps for researchers likely to assess volcanic floodplains. - Incorrect - researchers likely to assess - meaning issues
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
Send PM
AndrewN wrote:
OFFICIAL EXPLANATION

We are halfway through the competition now. How are you faring? By this point, you have faced some quite tricky questions, while others have proved more manageable (according to the timer data). I would like to think that with each OE I write, you may be getting one step closer to perfection on the Verbal end of the GMAT™. Just stick with it. Persistence pays off.

Quote:
The new technology employs light detection and ranging (LIDAR), using lasers from satellites to measure distances to Earth and generate highly accurate topographical maps for researchers to assess likely volcanic floodplains.

(A) to measure distances to Earth and generate highly accurate topographical maps for researchers to assess likely volcanic floodplains.

There are a few talking points here, but everything checks out. The adverbial to measure is simply a shortened form of in order to measure, and generate builds from the same understood to. Depending on the gap between the beginning of parts X and Y in this sort of and construct, you may see a word such as to repeated in front of the second element, but there is no definite rule (e.g., one based on word count) on when that needs to occur. Finally, the placement of the word likely allows us to appreciate that researchers can use these maps to check for probable volcanic floodplains (perhaps without having to risk life and limb by traveling to such locations). There is nothing that stands out as incorrect, so keep this one.

Quote:

First off, notice that to has been swapped out for that at the head of the underlined portion. Although the nature of the clause is somewhat different from that of the earlier phrase, there is nothing inherently wrong with saying lasers from satellites that measure distances to Earth. In any case, I would not eliminate the answer choice on such grounds. The latter portion runs into trouble, though, when it comes to the meaning conveyed, and this meaning hinges on where likely falls. Whereas before, the maps helped researchers identify possible volcanic floodplains, now the maps are definitely of those floodplains, and, worse yet, likely assess makes it sound as if the maps are being generated for some unknown purpose, that maybe researchers will get around to checking out all these highly accurate maps, but maybe not. Even though there is nothing grammatically wrong with the sentence, the meaning is certainly not as clear as what was expressed in the original sentence, so I would discard this answer choice in favor of (A).

Quote:

This likely keeps bouncing around and wreaking havoc on the meaning of the sentence. Now the nature of the satellites is more or less a complete mystery, the information pertaining to them speculative. Why, then, do we get this description about how the satellites work and what they apparently do? Something seems off when the sentence is considered as a whole. Also, even though measuring and generating are parallel, there is no compelling reason to opt out of our adverbial to phrase for this prepositional for phrase—using lasers to measure is the grown-up version of using lasers for measuring. This should be another easy elimination.

Quote:

This version is a little to happy. But first, we once again have a problem with likely. This time, the measuring can be taken as fact, but the generating of maps is uncertain. Getting back to to, generate maps to researchers could work in a certain context, perhaps if the sentence wrapped up, on their mobile devices. We might picture a sentence that was outlining a process about the transmission of data. But in this sentence, maps to researchers to assess is difficult to follow; the preposition for is warranted: maps for researchers to assess. Since this is another subpar version of (A), we should feel comfortable tossing it aside.

Quote:

Again, this one is fine grammatically. But now we are pigeonholing the type of researchers for whom these maps are generated. Evidently, not just any researchers can gain access to these maps, only those who are likely to assess volcanic floodplains. Do the satellites generate other types of maps for different researchers, perhaps less accurate maps? This is a subtle change of meaning, but if we have reason to doubt the sentence, we should not merely close our eyes and hope for the best. SC is about seeking to attack each of the five options, and clarity of meaning should be your primary concern. This iteration just misses the mark.

I hope that helps. I would be happy to answer any follow-up questions. Good luck with the challenges that lie ahead.

- Andrew

I have doubt if parallelism is not used here with option (A)
to measure distances to Earth and generate highly accurate topographical maps
Vs
to measure distances to Earth and to generate highly accurate topographical maps
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6856 [1]
Kudos
Expert Reply
vksrivas wrote:
I have doubt if parallelism is not used here with option (A)
to measure distances to Earth and generate highly accurate topographical maps
Vs
to measure distances to Earth and to generate highly accurate topographical maps

Hello, vksrivas. You are right that parallelism does come up in option (A), just as it does in all the other options. Both versions of the sentence you have written above are fine. The former simply employs what is known as ellipsis to carry over the to to the second element. This is quite common to see when the parallel elements in an and/or construct are shorter—e.g., Running with bulls or [running with] elephants is a bad idea—but there is no hard-and-fast rule about when you cannot use ellipsis. You have to ask yourself whether the sentence makes sense with an understood element, or whether that element needs to be included to avoid confusion. I know that sounds arbitrary, but you have to go through enough SC questions that test the topic to appreciate how the concept applies on the GMAT™.

I hope that helps. Good luck with your studies.

- Andrew
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 271
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.59
Send PM
Can anyone please clarify the use of "to measure" and "that measure".

I thought in option A, the technology is using lasers in order to measure. This means technology is doing the measuring which sounded non-sensical to me.

Using lasers from satellites that measure. Here that is modifying lasers (prepositional/descriptional phrase in between). This made more sense to me.

Frankly, both sounds non-sensical to me. How can "technology"/"lasers" measure?

The phrases such as "Technology is used to measure" ----> makes sense because here the sentence is written in passive form. People/Living-entity(Aliens? :D) is doing the measurement.

Can someone clarify if I am wrong anywhere?

Thanks in advance
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6856 [1]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Biswesh wrote:
Can anyone please clarify the use of "to measure" and "that measure".

I thought in option A, the technology is using lasers in order to measure. This means technology is doing the measuring which sounded non-sensical to me.

Using lasers from satellites that measure. Here that is modifying lasers (prepositional/descriptional phrase in between). This made more sense to me.

Frankly, both sounds non-sensical to me. How can "technology"/"lasers" measure?

The phrases such as "Technology is used to measure" ----> makes sense because here the sentence is written in passive form. People/Living-entity(Aliens? :D) is doing the measurement.

Can someone clarify if I am wrong anywhere?

Thanks in advance

Hello, Biswesh. I think your confusion stems from the substitution of the word technology for an actual device or program, but such usage is fairly common in English. For instance, I was reading about a next-generation aircraft recently that will use AI to assist the pilot in certain situations. It would be fine to refer to such an aircraft as a new technology; likewise, I could call the AI itself a new technology. In the sentence at hand, you may replace the new technology with the device or the program if you prefer. Since that part of the sentence is not underlined, it is really a moot point. Whether you choose to or that at the head of the underlined portion, either sentence could work. That is why I did not toss out (B) or (E) on those grounds in the Official Explanation. Consider:

1) [The device/program] employs LIDAR, using lasers from satellites to measure distances...

2) [The device/program] employs LIDAR, using lasers from satellites that measure distances...

As much as possible, you want to look at the whole sentence to decide which points are most easily used to distinguish reasonable answers from less reasonable ones, and you also want to keep in mind that the non-underlined portion of the sentence is non-negotiable, so anything underlined can be rearranged or altered.

I hope that helps. Good luck with your studies.

- Andrew
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts