Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 10:24 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 10:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 191 [21]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42102 [13]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Director
Director
Affiliations: PMI,QAI Global,eXampleCG
Own Kudos [?]: 588 [5]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: In 1933 the rubber, clothing, and shipbuilding industries put into eff [#permalink]
I would go with D

A B C seem to have pronoun errors..

D seems the most logical one.

what's the OA?
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 863 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools:MBA, Thunderbird School of Global Management / BA, Wesleyan University
Send PM
Re: In 1933 the rubber, clothing, and shipbuilding industries put into eff [#permalink]
Kudos
I had somebody request an explanation of "accommodate for" and "accommodate to"

Here, we are using "accommodation" to mean "adapt" or "compromise" and thus we need "accommodate to."

You'd use "for" if you were using "accommodations" to mean "living arrangements":

"Do you have any available accommodations for me and my family?"
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 538 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Send PM
Check out the following post:(reply or MichaelS about acceptable uses of what)

sc-doubt-what-was-made-in-vs-that-in-128698.html
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 974 [2]
Given Kudos: 264
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V24
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Bumping an old thread :) , nice question

(A) believing it a seeming permanent accommodation rather than a temporary expedient for what many observers thought was
Seeming( adjective) incorrectly modifies the noun accommodation, whereas it actually should modify the adjective permanent. To do so, seeming should be changed to adverb seemingly..

(B) believing it a seeming permanent accommodation instead of a temporary expedient for what many observers thought was
Same as A,

(C) believing that it was not a temporary expedient but a seeming permanent accommodation to what many observers thought of as a
same as A, moreover, thought of as a shows redundancy, thought was is concise.

(D) not as a temporary expedient but as a seemingly permanent accommodation to what many observers thought was CORRECT

(E) not as a temporary expedient but believing it a seemingly permanent accommodation for what many observers thought
parallelism error, the highlighted parts are not parallel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 49
Send PM
@e-gmat

Hi guys

I solved this question and got the answer wrong. I couldn't understand the meaning of this question and in my opinion the correct answer choice D was missing the word believing so I rejected it.

I would be really thankful if you guys could provide an analysis of this question.

Thank you
Regards
Intern
Intern
Send PM
nehanishika wrote:
In 1933 the rubber, clothing, and shipbuilding industries put into effect a six-hour workday, believing it a seeming permanent accommodation rather than a temporary expedient for what many observers thought was an economy made overproductive by advances in technology.

(A) believing it a seeming permanent accommodation rather than a temporary expedient for what many observers thought was

(B) believing it a seeming permanent accommodation instead of a temporary expedient for what many observers thought was

(C) believing that it was not a temporary expedient but a seeming permanent accommodation to what many observers thought of as a

(D) not as a temporary expedient but as a seemingly permanent accommodation to what many observers thought was

(E) not as a temporary expedient but believing it a seemingly permanent accommodation for what many observers thought

Hello @e-gmat@e-gmat

Could you guys please provide an analysis of this question. It's meaning analysis because I'm unable to grasp its meaning here.

Like what does "believing it a seeming permanent accommodation" and "for what many observers thought" mean in the context of the sentence. From what I gathered in a wrong manner was that the observers thought the six-hour work day was a permanent accomaodation rather than it being a temporary expedient.

And can these two expressions: "rather than" and "instead of" be used interchangably?

I would be really thankful if you guys could discuss this question here and provide your valuable insights.

Thank you
Regards
Intern
Intern
Send PM
nehanishika wrote:
In 1933 the rubber, clothing, and shipbuilding industries put into effect a six-hour workday, believing it a seeming permanent accommodation rather than a temporary expedient for what many observers thought was an economy made overproductive by advances in technology.

(D) not as a temporary expedient but as a seemingly permanent accommodation to what many observers thought was

Hello experts GMATNinja GMATNinja

Could you guys please provide an analysis of this question. It's meaning analysis because I'm unable to grasp its meaning here.

What I understood: "In 1993, some industries put into effect a 6 hr workday, many people who observed this happening believed that this is a permanent thing and not something temporary and thought that an economy was made overprotective by advances in technology."

I rejected answer choice D because it was missing the word 'believing' from the original sentence. I thought that it must have held some significance in the original sentence as in the observers believed something, so it should not be missed from the correct choice.

Could you please help me understand what does "believing it a seeming permanent accommodation" and "for what many observers thought" or "to what many observers thought" (in choice D) mean in the context of the sentence. From what I gathered in a wrong manner was that the observers thought the six-hour work day was a permanent accomaodation rather than it being a temporary expedient.

And can these two expressions: "rather than" and "instead of" be used interchangably?

I would be really thankful if you could discuss this question here and provide your valuable insights, helping me resolve my doubts.

Thank you
Regards
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts