It is currently 24 Feb 2018, 02:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

1500 word essay

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
Schools: Booth '19
1500 word essay [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2016, 08:16
Hi

My current HBS essay is around 1400-1500 words. Content-wise I think it's pretty strong. HBS claims to have no word limit, but would you guys say that's still too long? Thanks
Intern
Intern
Reviews Badge
Re: 1500 word essay [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2016, 08:44
I would have a couple other people take a read and let you know if any sections aren't adding anything to the story. HBS definitely values concise communication, and while they say they have not word limit, I'm sure they appreciate essays kept to around 1000-1200. Just make sure it's truly telling the something new, necessary, and valuable! Really though - we can't say whether that's definitely too long without reading your essay.
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Technology, Healthcare
Schools: Stanford '19 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User
1500 word essay [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2016, 08:45
Waaaay too long. 700-1000 is the standard. Content wise it may be strong, but HBS has a very specific style that they're looking for. Fitting into this style - being concise, punchy and strong will help cut down on your word count.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
GPA: 3.96
WE: Analyst (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2016, 13:12
I agree with LittleMoW, less so with speedilly. If you're the type of person who would fit at Harvard, you're going to be able to make an executive decision about what's the right length to tell your story effectively. Conforming to some "standard" isn't ultimately going to help you succeed.

That said, having a fresh set of eyes read your essay, preferably someone you trust to give you honest feedback, would be helpful. It seems like if you're asking for advice, you're somewhat unsure about the length and possibly about the content. I can tell you that my finished essay is around 1100-1200 words, and I am more than confident that it tells my story effectively (but I can't say I felt that way several drafts ago). If I don't get in, I know it won't be because of my essay. You should feel the same way when you hit that submit button.
Expert Post
Stratus Admissions Consultant
P
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Kellogg
GPA: 3.67
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2016, 18:41
FacePalmist wrote:
Hi

My current HBS essay is around 1400-1500 words. Content-wise I think it's pretty strong. HBS claims to have no word limit, but would you guys say that's still too long? Thanks

I think you may be able to cut that a little. One thing that could help is to have a counselor do one edit review for you. We at Stratus Prep have counselors who are HBS alums and very familiar with the formats for HBS essays. Even an hour of consultation could be a big help. To find out how we can help on a quick review, please go to this link: https://stratusprep.com/free-consult/

Donna | StratusMBACounselor | Stratus Admissions Counseling

Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
G

Show Tags

New post 07 Dec 2016, 19:08
Be concise! HBS has no word limit but really values the ability to communicate and share your thoughts in a concise, direct fashion. So explore opportunities to streamline your message and points accordingly

Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 10 Dec 2016, 02:20
My essay was 1300-1400 (on the longer side) but as I have a fairly non traditional background, there was a lot of things to explain which made it necessary. Otherwise I would've kept it to 1000 as a more traditional candidate.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
G

Show Tags

New post 22 Dec 2016, 13:38
I would take another look at your essay if possible and really be discerning to make sure you needed all of those words. Make sure you are telling a cohesive story and not simply dumping out your entire life story. Good luck!

Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Re: 1500 word essay   [#permalink] 22 Dec 2016, 13:38

1500 word essay

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: ydmuley

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap