Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 03:20 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 03:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: LBS '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
Send PM
Re: 2012 LBS MiF Applicants welcome! [#permalink]
overbored wrote:
spartan13 wrote:

The MiF programme is considered a 12 month programme and therefore, you can stay for upto 4 months after graduation provided you have a valid visa stamp on your passport. Hope this helps!

Thanks, spartan. Though I have to say its a bit strange since the program duration is ten months. Have you already obtained the visa or are in the process of obtaining it?

overbored, I have not yet applied for my visa (you must wait until 3 months before the program's start to apply) but have heard from Peter Johnson that the MiF FT program is classified by the UK as a year-long program. I believe this is because London Business School actually confers the degrees each September. While classes are over and there is no requirement to remain in London, the program technically is active for 13 months (from August to the following September).

I hope that helps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
I've offered a place in the MiF program. I am debating whether to go as it means a massive loss in salary and given the issues with UK (and world) economy, esp for people trying to get a job in finance.

So would people who have accepted say what their plans are? Obviously, the chances of working in the UK are close to zero, so you will likely go back home after the program. Is then this program worth it ?

Thx.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
imdapplicant2012 wrote:
I've offered a place in the MiF program. I am debating whether to go as it means a massive loss in salary and given the issues with UK (and world) economy, esp for people trying to get a job in finance.

So would people who have accepted say what their plans are? Obviously, the chances of working in the UK are close to zero, so you will likely go back home after the program. Is then this program worth it ?

Thx.

I think this depends on your objective. If your goal is a job in London and you don't have another means to qualify for a work visa, then it may not be worth it.

This said, I think you really need to ask your question to your LBS ambassador. Of the students, prospects, and alumni I've met, they all matriculated of accepted and say that the program is worth the effort and that they would do it again. I think though that you need to be prepared to work harder for your job of you don't have an EUor UK work permit.

I myself am able to work only in the US and I'm going.

RK
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
WE:Underwriter (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Hi all,
A long time lurker and first time poster.
I have been admitted to MiF programme as well. Now looking for a way to finance it. :P
Hope to see you all if I make it to London this August.

Cheers
Manager
Manager
Send PM
mano46 wrote:
Hi all,
A long time lurker and first time poster.
I have been admitted to MiF programme as well. Now looking for a way to finance it. :P
Hope to see you all if I make it to London this August.

Cheers

Congratulations, Mano! I am sending in my confirmation of acceptance along with my commitment fee today.

From where in Sri Lanka are you? One of my good friends in the US is Sinhalese and I have been to Colombo, Kandy, Dambulla, and Bentota (where I experienced the 2004 tsunami :( ) on a visit for her wedding.

rk
Intern
Intern
Send PM
rwkTX wrote:
overbored wrote:
spartan13 wrote:

The MiF programme is considered a 12 month programme and therefore, you can stay for upto 4 months after graduation provided you have a valid visa stamp on your passport. Hope this helps!

Thanks, spartan. Though I have to say its a bit strange since the program duration is ten months. Have you already obtained the visa or are in the process of obtaining it?

overbored, I have not yet applied for my visa (you must wait until 3 months before the program's start to apply) but have heard from Peter Johnson that the MiF FT program is classified by the UK as a year-long program. I believe this is because London Business School actually confers the degrees each September. While classes are over and there is no requirement to remain in London, the program technically is active for 13 months (from August to the following September).

I hope that helps.

That definitely helps. Thanks rwkTX!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
WE:Underwriter (Investment Banking)
Send PM
rwkTX wrote:
mano46 wrote:
Hi all, A long time lurker and first time poster. I have been admitted to MiF programme as well. Now looking for a way to finance it. :P Hope to seeyou allif I make it to London this August. Cheers
Congratulations, Mano! I am sending in my confirmation of acceptance along with my commitment fee today. From where in Sri Lankaareyou? One of my good friends in the US is Sinhalese and I have been to Colombo, Kandy, Dambulla, and Bentota (where I experienced the 2004 tsunami :( ) on a visit for her wedding. rk

I am from Colombo, though I have been working in Japan for a while now. :P
You seem to have travelled around in Sri Lanka, though I am sorry to hear that you had to experience the 2004 tsunami.
I am yet to receive my information package from LBS. Lot of decisions to make after that.
Have you decided or started looking for accomodation in London?

cheers
Intern
Intern
Send PM
lifeiscricket wrote:
Quote:
Hi there! I got the shortlist email on 12th April too but an interview hasn't been scheduled yet. Hopefully we shall hear something this week. I have given Mumbai as the preferred location.

Thanks overbored ! I too hope the long wait gets over this week, and best wishes for the interview ahead.

hey, man...did you hear anything from the adcom yet?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance; Investment banking
Schools:LBS
GPA: 3.17
Send PM
Hi, everyone.
Congratulations!! to all who have made it to class of 2013. Reading through your interview experiences and application process was informative.
I am Piyush Ranjan and trying for 2013 admit will apply in R1 Oct 2012. I am writing this as when i submitted my CV for review i was asked to gain more financial experience and the standard reply that follows.
A brief about my profile:
B.Tech ( Mechanical) and MBA (Finance ) in 2009 from India.No undergraduate work experience.
Post MBA work experience as on May 1, 2012 ( approx 3 years) expected work experience before joining the course 4 years. I am working with a leading bank in its corporate banking division and carry out credit analysis/ assessment.
I have a CGPA of 3.17/4.
I am a certified FRM holder and a CFA Level 3 candidate June 2012.

Now Nalisha says if i differ from her opinion and can make a case i can submit my application for Aug 2013 intake. I need a few explanations from admit. How difficult is it to make it for an interview if you are not encouraged to apply.

Considering i should have a GMAT Score range of 730- 760 any chances. Any ideas from people who have made it to class with ard 4 years of work experience or how to compensate for my less than average work experience.

Awaiting guidance from the admitted & experienced MiF admits.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Schools: LBS '14 (M$)
GMAT 1: 660 Q46 V35
GMAT 2: 690 Q44 V40
GPA: 4
WE:Corporate Finance (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Hi Ranjan!
Submitting a CV for review, I was encouraged to apply, however, as Peter mentioned, i might not have the depth and breadth of experience required for the program (I was forking for 5 years in the same company at the same, quite narrow, sphere of finance). In my case, what made me to the program was the essay (and a bit of diversity, i think ;)). When they speak about experience, they mean not actual years in service, but diversity of experience. If during these 4 years you were doing the same things, you might fall out of the class. As I see people around, everyone posess quite broad experience, everyone has something to share. You definitely do not lose anything from applying, clearly a lot would depend on how you present your case... I tried to stress range of things i have done and magnitude of my achievements, and it worked pretty well... Good luck!

Ranjan121 wrote:
Hi, everyone.
Congratulations!! to all who have made it to class of 2013. Reading through your interview experiences and application process was informative.
I am Piyush Ranjan and trying for 2013 admit will apply in R1 Oct 2012. I am writing this as when i submitted my CV for review i was asked to gain more financial experience and the standard reply that follows.
A brief about my profile:
B.Tech ( Mechanical) and MBA (Finance ) in 2009 from India.No undergraduate work experience.
Post MBA work experience as on May 1, 2012 ( approx 3 years) expected work experience before joining the course 4 years. I am working with a leading bank in its corporate banking division and carry out credit analysis/ assessment.
I have a CGPA of 3.17/4.
I am a certified FRM holder and a CFA Level 3 candidate June 2012.

Now Nalisha says if i differ from her opinion and can make a case i can submit my application for Aug 2013 intake. I need a few explanations from admit. How difficult is it to make it for an interview if you are not encouraged to apply.

Considering i should have a GMAT Score range of 730- 760 any chances. Any ideas from people who have made it to class with ard 4 years of work experience or how to compensate for my less than average work experience.

Awaiting guidance from the admitted & experienced MiF admits.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
wow, you have quite an impressive profile :) hope you hear from LBS soon!

QUEVEO wrote:
Hi all,

First of all, thanks and bravo for this very interesting thread.
I've applied to the MIF (WE format) on 7 April and am waiting for an answer...
Education: master in law,suspended PhD in law, professional degree in banking.
10 years work experience in retail and corporate banking. Branch manager (retail)for 6 years (last position: 2 branches, 16 employees, 190M€ in deposits and 170M€ in loans, 8500 clients). 1.5 years as a risk analyst for large and medium-sized businesses. Current job: risk analyst, banking sector.GMAT: 680
I was “strongly” encouraged to apply. Thanks in advance for any advice and feedback on my profile.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
mano46 wrote:
rwkTX wrote:
mano46 wrote:
Hi all, A long time lurker and first time poster. I have been admitted to MiF programme as well. Now looking for a way to finance it. :P Hope to seeyou allif I make it to London this August. Cheers
Congratulations, Mano! I am sending in my confirmation of acceptance along with my commitment fee today. From where in Sri Lankaareyou? One of my good friends in the US is Sinhalese and I have been to Colombo, Kandy, Dambulla, and Bentota (where I experienced the 2004 tsunami :( ) on a visit for her wedding. rk

I am from Colombo, though I have been working in Japan for a while now. :P
You seem to have travelled around in Sri Lanka, though I am sorry to hear that you had to experience the 2004 tsunami.
I am yet to receive my information package from LBS. Lot of decisions to make after that.
Have you decided or started looking for accomodation in London?

cheers

Where in Japan? I have only been to Tokyo for a short trip but hope to visit again someday. They had quite the tsunami tragedy as well :(

I sent my confirmation to LBS a few days ago. I have started looking at some housing options but am trying to stay focused on my CFA exam preparation until the test on 02 June. The housing search is very difficult, especially from far away. If you're used to the small, expensive housing in Japan though, moving to London should be no problem :-D
Intern
Intern
Schools: LBS '14 (A)
Send PM
Thank you Laman, i jus received THE email: i'm in! See you in London maybe.

wow, you have quite an impressive profile hope you hear from LBS soon!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Hi,

Any current employer offered to sponsor the tuition fee...??

Given the challenging job scenario, it may be a good option...slightly confused :?: I welcome some thoughts on this..

Tx
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Just got accepted today. Very excited about this course.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V38
Send PM
Hi, everyone, I received the email, the good news.
I am so happy and excited.
I found this thread really helpful. At every stage, when feel fretted, this was the place to ease my anxiety and bring me source of information and advice. Good to meet u all here.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
This topic made my day today :) I was so glad to see that all people we had fingers crossed for this week were accepter. Congratulations, dheeraj, daphne2012 and queveo! Hope to see you all in London this summer :)) any thoughts re accepting the offers?
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts