Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 04:48 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 04:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [5]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Send PM
Re: 2014 USC Leventhal MAcc/ MBT [#permalink]
Kudos
abc12345 wrote:
GPA: 3.42 (non-accounting major at Brown)
GMAT: 660 (80th percentile in Quant)

Applied for summer intensive.
Invited for an interview.

Does anyone have any tips for the interview?
What are my chances of getting in to the MAcc program?

I recently interviewed for the program

The interview was very conversational (not behavioral at all). We mostly discussed my application, essays, and specifics about the program (recruiting, housing, classes etc.)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
GPA:3.45
GMAT: 690
Accepted to usc!

if anyone has any questions, let me know
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
baem wrote:
Hi all,

For those of you that got accepted, congratulations. There are still those that are waiting for an answer. I submitted my application 2 weeks ago and I am just praying. Can you guys share your experience through the application process to interview and up to admission?
How long for an answer? does admin comm. ask for additional info for better assessment?
If it's not too intruding, can those that have been accepted share a bit of their profile i.e. work exp, GPA, GMAT?

I do not want to give out too much information about myself, but basically I had a lower GMAT score than the average but a higher GPA than the average.

After I applied, I received an interview invitation around 5 weeks later, then after my interview I received an admit decision around 3 weeks later. Application process was pretty straightforward, I just answered the questions and wrote an essay about why I was interested in accounting/USC. Interview was conversational as we mostly discussed my application and the program. I received an admit decision via email and it also detailed a scholarship I received.

I will matriculate. USC is my dream school.

Best of luck to everyone applying!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 77
Send PM
Kudos
I am IN , yahoooooo :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
why dont you wait and retake the gmat? why are you applying so quickly?

on the other hand, i know someone who supposedly got a 530 and got in

curious though, where did you get your econ degree?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
laserglare wrote:

I am still in undergrad and I just cant possibly find the time to study more for the GMAT without hurting my grades. If I do retake, it wont be until after I graduate in the spring.

I don't want to give up too much information, but I go to a top 30 school according to usnews.

What was the background of the person who had a 530 and got accepted?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
uschopeful wrote:
laserglare wrote:

I am still in undergrad and I just cant possibly find the time to study more for the GMAT without hurting my grades. If I do retake, it wont be until after I graduate in the spring.

I don't want to give up too much information, but I go to a top 30 school according to usnews.

You're gonna want to retake the GMAT even if it's going to hurt your grades. I am sure your overall grades won't drop so drastically at this point unless you cannot manage your time at all. Are you working while going to school? I am sure you can find the time to study.

Practically all of us here in the program studied GMAT alongside undergraduate works. I don't know anyone that took a year off to study the GMAT to get that 700+. It is easy to improve score from 500 to something that looks better like 600 with just a month of studying 1-2 hour(s) a day. If you somehow did get into the program, you're gonna have to get used to not having enough time for time to do everything 100%. The first 2 months of the program, you're doing fulltime recruiting alongside graduate level work. Every day is booked with some sort of social event in September. So, if you cannot possibly find the time to study GMAT and improve the score to at least average while going to undergrad, it is going to be quite difficult when you get into this program.

The program is not desperate enough to accept everyone that submitted their application as early as yours. It is far better to submit your best application at a later date. Even early next year is totally acceptable. That of course, depends on whether you're applying for Summer or Fall. I'm sure you can choose to study full time during the winter break and get above 600.

TL:DR retake the GMAT and submit the app later
Intern
Intern
Send PM
steveshin12 wrote:
uschopeful wrote:
laserglare wrote:

You're gonna want to retake the GMAT even if it's going to hurt your grades. I am sure your overall grades won't drop so drastically at this point unless you cannot manage your time at all. Are you working while going to school? I am sure you can find the time to study.

Practically all of us here in the program studied GMAT alongside undergraduate works. I don't know anyone that took a year off to study the GMAT to get that 700+. It is easy to improve score from 500 to something that looks better like 600 with just a month of studying 1-2 hour(s) a day. If you somehow did get into the program, you're gonna have to get used to not having enough time for time to do everything 100%. The first 2 months of the program, you're doing fulltime recruiting alongside graduate level work. Every day is booked with some sort of social event in September. So, if you cannot possibly find the time to study GMAT and improve the score to at least average while going to undergrad, it is going to be quite difficult when you get into this program.

The program is not desperate enough to accept everyone that submitted their application as early as yours. It is far better to submit your best application at a later date. Even early next year is totally acceptable. That of course, depends on whether you're applying for Summer or Fall. I'm sure you can choose to study full time during the winter break and get above 600.

TL:DR retake the GMAT and submit the app later

I said in my first post that I haven't submitted yet.
and Yes I do work part-time while going to school full-time.
I may put the application off and use my winter break to study and try to get my score up.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I said in my first post that I haven't submitted yet.
and Yes I do work part-time while going to school full-time.
I may put the application off and use my winter break to study and try to get my score up.[/quote]

That would be your best bet if you really want to go to USC. Unless you don't care about attending here and just doing it for **** and giggles and hoping to get lucky, you would have a much higher chance putting it off and studying during winter break.

FYI many others and I also worked part-time while attending school full-time and still managed to study for the GMAT. As I have said, you gotta prove to the adcom that you can take on multiple demanding tasks. If you get to the interview stage, your low GMAT score will come up.

My whole post advised you to to put off your application submission until later, so I don't know why you would assume that I thought you already submitted it based on your first line of your response.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
"The program is not desperate enough to accept everyone that submitted their application as early as yours"

that is what I was referring to. I haven't submitted my application.

you got accepted with a 2.9 GPA. Correct?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Yes I did.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
in one of the forum acceptances thread, i think some guy said he also got in with a 560 and with $$, i dont think he applied early,

Oh and the other applicant, male, some good EC's, senior at university, pretty much same stats as you, high gpa low gmat, top 50 US News school.

Originally posted by laserglare on 25 Oct 2013, 02:06.
Last edited by laserglare on 30 Oct 2013, 10:31, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Hello everyone,

According to USC's MAcc/MBT program website, for summer applicants, there are three prerequisite courses that need to be met: intro to financial accounting, business statistics, and micro/macroeconomics.....

Since my cumulative GPA is low : 2.89.... I have a strong urge to retake these classes: I received a B- in financial accounting, B+/A- in micro/macroeconomics, and haven't taken business statistics. What do you guys think about this plan?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 120 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: Accounting, Finance
GMAT Date: 10-25-2013
GPA: 3.66
Send PM
laserglare wrote:
in one of the forum acceptances thread, i think some guy said he also got in with a 560 and with $$, i dont think he applied early,

Oh and the other applicant, male, some good EC's, senior at university, pretty much same stats as you, high gpa low gmat, top 50 US News school.

Do you remember the name of the university ??
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 77
Send PM
Could you please share the interview experience… I don't know that they process the applications that early :-s
I will start to run for the application since tomorrow. Also could anyone share the essay tips?
A bit about my profile: GMAT 680-GPA 3.8-Non-accouting major. Thank you guys
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Congrats g18c!!

I was also accepted to the USC MAcc Program about 3 weeks after my interview
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
I was also accepted to the USC MAcc Program! My first choice too! Will be matriculating and hope to see you guys there!
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   
Moderator:
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts