It is currently 20 Oct 2017, 07:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

2016 OG: Although the school would receive financial benefits if it ha

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 17

GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V31
GMAT 2: 770 Q51 V42
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: 2016 OG: Although the school would receive financial benefits if it ha [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Sep 2016, 13:17
"A" is difficult to comprehend because we bring our own beliefs into it. We all know about negative effects of soft drinks that we sort of assume it to be true. And that's what the question tests.

I think is we replace soft drink by say "X" then "A" would be much easier to understand.

Other than that this question is classic pattern of "jump the gun". From allowing soft drink vending machines to drinking more soft drink.

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 153

GPA: 3.92
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Re: 2016 OG: Although the school would receive financial benefits if it ha [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Nov 2016, 19:53
This post was
BOOKMARKED
notwithstanding wrote:
Although the school would receive financial benefits if it had soft drink vending machines in the cafeteria, we should not allow them. Allowing soft drink machines there would not be in our students' interest. If our students start drinking more soft drinks, they will be less healthy.

The argument depends on which of the following?

(A) If the soft drink vending machines were placed in the cafeteria, students would consume more soft drinks as a result.
(B) The amount of soft drinks that most students at the school currently drink is not detrimental to their health.
(C) Students are apt to be healthier if they do not drink soft drinks at all than if they just drink small amounts occasionally.
(D) Students will not simply bring soft drinks from home if the soft drink vending machines are not placed in the cafeteria.
(E) The school's primary concern should be to promote good health among its students.

Premise: Allowing soft drink machine will not be in the students interest.
Conclusion: If the students start drinking more soft drinks, they will be less healthy.

One way to look at this is, how do we connect the premise to the conclusion? There is clearly a logic gap here.

Allowing soft drink machine will not be in the students interest, because the students would consume more soft drinks if a soft drink machine was made available. And drinking more soft drinks will be less healthy for the students.

If you analyze enough data, you can predict the future.....its calculating probability, nothing more!

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 03 Nov 2016, 19:58
This post was
BOOKMARKED
arpitgarg wrote:
"A" is difficult to comprehend because we bring our own beliefs into it. We all know about negative effects of soft drinks that we sort of assume it to be true. And that's what the question tests.

I think is we replace soft drink by say "X" then "A" would be much easier to understand.

Other than that this question is classic pattern of "jump the gun". From allowing soft drink vending machines to drinking more soft drink.

Forgive my ignorance, but whaddaya mean by 'this question is classic pattern of jump the gun?'

If you analyze enough data, you can predict the future.....its calculating probability, nothing more!

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 04 Nov 2016, 04:13
colorblind wrote:
arpitgarg wrote:

Forgive my ignorance, but whaddaya mean by 'this question is classic pattern of jump the gun?'

Hi colorblind,

I see GMAT as a pattern recognition exam with limited set of patterns. In CR a classic pattern is what i call "jump the gun". When you talk about something (X) and move to something else (Y, related but with no sufficient reasoning). Here, author talks about vending machines and jumps to "students drinking more soft drink". Without the link.

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 04 Nov 2016, 05:07
arpitgarg wrote:
colorblind wrote:
arpitgarg wrote:

Hi colorblind,

I see GMAT as a pattern recognition exam with limited set of patterns. In CR a classic pattern is what i call "jump the gun". When you talk about something (X) and move to something else (Y, related but with no sufficient reasoning). Here, author talks about vending machines and jumps to "students drinking more soft drink". Without the link.

Oh nice, so we have to join that missing link.
I know there are no short cuts to GMAT, but is there a set of standard patters to CR or you just learn to see patterns as you solve more problems?

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 04 Nov 2016, 05:38
colorblind wrote:
Oh nice, so we have to join that missing link.
I know there are no short cuts to GMAT, but is there a set of standard patters to CR or you just learn to see patterns as you solve more problems?

You get to recognise them as you solve problems. But a first read of course books (manhattan, CR bible) gives you a kick start.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 43

Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V25
GMAT 2: 620 Q49 V27
WE: Marketing (Consumer Products)
Reviews Badge
2016 OG: Although the school would receive financial benefits if it ha [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Nov 2016, 15:09
Hi guys... Here is my analysis

Structure
Conc: we should not allow SDV machines in cafeteria despite the $$$ benefit
P1: +Soft drinks --> - healthy
P2: Allowing SDV machines not in S's interests

Argument analysis
1st Falsify conclusion: In which scenario we should allow SDV machines in cafeteria given the fact that will bring $$$ benefit, but would be less healthier for students
Scenario 1: If there is evidence suggesting that the presence of SDV won't encourage students to drink sodas.
The assumption would be the negation of this scenario: The presence of SDV will encourage students to drink sodas.

Answer choice analysis
(A) If the soft drink vending machines were placed in the cafeteria, students would consume more soft drinks as a result. Correct!
Aligned with pre-thinking

(B) The amount of soft drinks that most students at the school currently drink is not detrimental to their health. Irrelevant
The argument is not concerned with the amount of soft drinks students consume. It is concern with SDV machines.

(C) Students are apt to be healthier if they do not drink soft drinks at all than if they just drink small amounts occasionally. Irrelevant
The amount of soft drink students intake is not in discussion.

(D) Students will not simply bring soft drinks from home if the soft drink vending machines are not placed in the cafeteria. OFS
This scenario (SDV machine are not placed in cafeteria) is not in discussion.

(E) The school's primary concern should be to promote good health among its students. Irrelevant
School's primary concern or goal is not in discussion.

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 43

Director
Director
G

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 267

Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2016, 02:30
Premise: Although the school would receive financial benefits if it had soft drink vending machines in the cafeteria, we should not allow them.
This premise starts with a contrast word ‘although’ showing that the school would gain financially but still does not support setting up vending machines in cafeteria.
Premise: Allowing soft drink machines there would not be in our students' interest.
They present a reason why setting up vending machines not a good idea despite being financially beneficial.

Conclusion: If students start drinking soft drinks, they would be LESS HEALTHY.

SO THE MAIN REASON FOR NOT SETTING UP VENDING MACHINES IS HEALTH OF THE STUDENTS which is shown to be much more important for school administration.

Pre-thinking: The school is not convinced with setting up vending machines is because it knows that is the machines of soft drinks is set up in cafeteria, the students WILL DRINK IT AND THAT WOULD IMPACT THEIR HEALTH.
Choice A presents this prethinking and thus is correct choice.

When choice B is negated, it states that the amount of soft drinks that most students currently drink is detrimental to their health.
The passage talks about introducing these machines in the cafeteria. We do not know whether they already are there or not. And if these machines are already there and students are drinking soft drinks, it does not make sense for the school NOW TO WORRY about the health.

Choices C, D, and E are OUT OF SCOPE and do not impact the conclusion in anyway.

Help me make my explanation better by providing a logical feedback.

If you liked the post, HIT KUDOS !!

Don't quit.............Do it.

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 267

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

2016 OG: Although the school would receive financial benefits if it ha [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Dec 2016, 21:29
I got A right, and crossed off all especially D. Am i the only one that read D as "Students will NOT simply bring soft drinks from home if the soft drink vending machines are NOT placed in the cafeteria." I took it as, students aren't bringing soft drinks to school even when there aren't soft drink vending machines in the cafeteria.
if I negate it all, it would read "Students will simply bring soft drinks from home if the soft drink vending machines are placed in the cafeteria.", which doesn't make sense to me at all, that's why i crossed off D immediately.

From my understanding of the argument, bringing soft drink vending machines to the school cafeteria will just cause them to be less healthy BECAUSE they are ASSUMING that (A) "...students would consume more soft drinks as a result."

Maybe I got lucky, but is my reasoning wrong?

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 55

Re: Although the school would receive financial benefits if it had soft dr [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Feb 2017, 09:33
Experts please help...even I thought that the correct ans is D...

Top Contributor
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
S
Affiliations: CrackVerbal

Kudos [?]: 574 [1], given: 6

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
Re: Although the school would receive financial benefits if it had soft dr [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Feb 2017, 18:53
This post received
KUDOS
Top Contributor
read the answer options carefully to see what exactly the argument is saying -

Counter Argument:
Soft drink vending machines in cafeteria --> financial benefits.

Author's argument:
students drink MORE Soft drinks --> LESS Healthy --> NO Soft drink vending machines in cafeteria

We have been asked to find an assumption for the author's argument.

Option A - correct answer.
If the author has to make his argument, then installing vending machines should lead to higher consumption of soft drinks.

Option B - Incorrect.
Whether the amount is detrimental or not is not relevant. All we are concerned about is whether the installation of vending machines leads to higher consumption of soft drinks and consequently makes students less healthy.
Moreover, negating this answer option kind of strengthens the author's argument. Hence, incorrect.

Option C - Incorrect.
this option is not relevant as we know already from the argument that installing vending machines leads them to drink MORE. this means that the amount they consumed earlier was not 0.
That is the argument is making the comparison between consumption of some amount to more amount.
this option compares 0 to a small amount. What is applicable here need not necessarily apply to the argument.

Option D - Incorrect.
Even if they bring soft drinks from home, this option does not necessarily imply that they will drink more soft drinks than before. This means that they will still be MORE healthy than if the vending machines were installed.
The argument still stands after negation. Hence, incorrect.

Option E - Incorrect.
Nowhere is it stated that it is the "primary" objective. All we know is that it is an important goal. Whether it is the most important goal or not is unclear.

Enroll for our GMAT Trial Course here -
http://gmatonline.crackverbal.com/

Learn all PS and DS strategies here-
http://gmatonline.crackverbal.com/p/mastering-quant-on-gmat

For more info on GMAT and MBA, follow us on @AskCrackVerbal

Kudos [?]: 574 [1], given: 6

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 21 Feb 2017, 08:41
Thanks a lot for ur explanation.... it was really helpful..

Expert Post
Director
Director
B

Kudos [?]: 517 [0], given: 16

Show Tags

New post 02 Jun 2017, 17:52
notwithstanding wrote:
Although the school would receive financial benefits if it had soft drink vending machines in the cafeteria, we should not allow them. Allowing soft drink machines there would not be in our students' interest. If our students start drinking more soft drinks, they will be less healthy.

(B) The amount of soft drinks that most students at the school currently drink is not detrimental to their health.
(C) Students are apt to be healthier if they do not drink soft drinks at all than if they just drink small amounts occasionally.
(D) Students will not simply bring soft drinks from home if the soft drink vending machines are not placed in the cafeteria.
(E) The school's primary concern should be to promote good health among its students.

Decision: Should not allow soft drink vending machines in the cafeteria,

Missing Information :If the soft drink vending machines were placed in the cafeteria, students would consume more soft drinks as a result.

Conclusion:If our students start drinking more soft drinks, they will be less healthy.

Srinivasan Vaidyaraman
Sravna
http://www.sravnatestprep.com/regularcourse.php

Pay After Use
Standardized Approaches

Kudos [?]: 517 [0], given: 16

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 10

Schools: ISB '20
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 01 Jul 2017, 11:11
The argument depends on the notion that the vending machines in schools would actually lead to a net increase in cold drink consumption. Hence A. If we negate it the argument will fall.

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 10

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 5

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 06 Jul 2017, 19:11
EMPOWERgmatMax wrote:

(A) If the soft drink vending machines were placed in the cafeteria, students would consume more soft drinks as a result.

EMPOWERgmat Enhanced Explanation:

Type: Assumption
Boil It Down: More soft drinks, less healthy -> Vending mach. Shouldn’t be allowed
Missing Information: These vending machines would lead to net overall worsening of health
Goal: Find the option the argument requires for the logic to hold

Yes! The argument ABSOLUTELY requires this option. How do we know that these students wouldn’t be consuming soda anyway? The argument depends on the notion that these soda machines would actually lead to a net increase in soda consumption.

Whether the typical soda intake at the skill is small, normal, or excessive doesn’t matter. The argument is that health will get WORSE regardless of the starting point. This option is not something the argument requires.

The argument doesn’t hinge on the notion that students are likely to be healthier with no soda. We’d have to assume that C even applies to these students. For all we know, maybe not a single child at this school is soda free.

Even if students bring soda from home, the argument still holds because the convenience of the vending machines at school could still cause some students to consume more soda than they would have otherwise.

The argument doesn’t depend on what the school’s PRIMARY concern is. The argument could still stand if student health and soda consumption were a considerable concern.

Hi,

I agree with you that the correct answer choice for this assumption question is A.
I was just thinking about answer D. It is somewhere strengthening the argument by bringing external information, such as students will not bring soft drinks from home, and they only depend on buying soft drinks from cafeteria incase if they want to. This will support the conclusion that if vending machines not allowed in the cafeteria students will not have any alternate way to access the soft-drinks, like bringing from home. This eventually reduces the consumption.

Can the answer choice D be considered for strengthening the argument ?

your response will be appreciated.

thanks
Dharan

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 5

VP
VP
G

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 533

Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: 314 Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2017, 07:56
Imo A

If the vending machine is not placed in cafeteria then students will not drink more soda and will be fit .
Option D comes close but has an inherent flaw .
If suppose the students bring soda from home and cafeteria does not have soda vending machine then they are going to consume less soda .
If they if the vending machine is placed in cafeteria then will still consume more soda other than the soda that they brought from home .

We are more often frightened than hurt; and we suffer more from imagination than from reality

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 533

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 18

OG 16 - CR [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2017, 19:04
Although the school would receive financial benefits if it had soft drink vending machines in the cafeteria, we should not allow them. Allowing soft drink machines there would not be in our students’ interest. If our students start drinking more soft drinks, they will be less healthy.

A

If the soft drink vending machines were placed in the cafeteria, students would consume more soft drinks as a result.

B

The amount of soft drinks that most students at the school currently drink is not detrimental to their health.

C

Students are apt to be healthier if they do not drink soft drinks at all than if they just drink small amounts occasionally.

D

Students will not simply bring soft drinks from home if the soft drink vending machines are not placed in the cafeteria.

E

The school’s primary concern should be to promote good health among its students.

Kindly explain how to discard the options?

Sent from my MotoG3 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 18

Top Contributor
G

Kudos [?]: 1455 [0], given: 270

GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V34
WE: General Management (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: OG 16 - CR [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2017, 19:23
Top Contributor
cracktherock wrote:
Although the school would receive financial benefits if it had soft drink vending machines in the cafeteria, we should not allow them. Allowing soft drink machines there would not be in our students’ interest. If our students start drinking more soft drinks, they will be less healthy.

A

If the soft drink vending machines were placed in the cafeteria, students would consume more soft drinks as a result.

B

The amount of soft drinks that most students at the school currently drink is not detrimental to their health.

C

Students are apt to be healthier if they do not drink soft drinks at all than if they just drink small amounts occasionally.

D

Students will not simply bring soft drinks from home if the soft drink vending machines are not placed in the cafeteria.

E

The school’s primary concern should be to promote good health among its students.

Kindly explain how to discard the options?

Sent from my MotoG3 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Hi,

The question is already discussed in the forum. Please search the question before posting. And please read the rules for posting a topic.

Locking this topic now. Thanks.

Become a GMAT Club Premium member to avail lot of discounts

Kudos [?]: 1455 [0], given: 270

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 121 [0], given: 126

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2017, 14:31

(A) If the soft drink vending machines were placed in the cafeteria, students would consume more soft drinks as a result. -If the students consume more drink then it will be a problem for the students. This basically bridges the gap between the premise and the conclusion.
(B) The amount of soft drinks that most students at the school currently drink is not detrimental to their health. -We are not worried about the present condition of the students.
(C) Students are apt to be healthier if they do not drink soft drinks at all than if they just drink small amounts occasionally. -Out of scope
(D) Students will not simply bring soft drinks from home if the soft drink vending machines are not placed in the cafeteria. -Out of scope
(E) The school's primary concern should be to promote good health among its students. -Out of scope

Kudos if my post helps!

Helpful links:
1. e-GMAT's ALL SC Compilation

Kudos [?]: 121 [0], given: 126

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 60

GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V25
GPA: 3.75
WE: Web Development (Consulting)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2017, 08:05
TeamGMATIFY wrote:
We have already spoken a lot about why answer choice A is the correct answer choice. Now lets focus on why answer choice D is not the right answer choice.

The point of concern here is that whether vending machines in the cafeteria will urge students to drink more soft drinks. So all other other options such as bring cold drinks, having more soft drinks after school, or at home is out of scope. We are talking about whether vending machines in the cafeteria will urge students to have more soft drinks.

Let's also apply negation test:

Students will simply bring soft drinks from home if the soft drink vending machines are not placed in the cafeteria.

So what? This doesn't weaken the conc. This can very well be the case right now with some of the students. Main points is whether having vending machines will urge students to drink more.

Hope it helps.

That's a very good explanation.

Also, the negation -
Students will simply bring soft drinks from home if the soft drink vending machines are not placed in the cafeteria.

This does not break our conclusion. The conclusion - we should not allow vending machines, stands as it is. Therefore, incorrect.

Also, even if the students bring soft drinks from home, we are not aware of how much quantity of soft drink they will bring. Suppose, they bring in small amounts, then also the argument stands as it is. We should still not allow the vending machines. Allowing can be more detrimental. Option D is therefore, irrelevant.

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 60

Re: 2016 OG: Although the school would receive financial benefits if it ha   [#permalink] 20 Aug 2017, 08:05

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3    Next  [ 41 posts ] 

2016 OG: Although the school would receive financial benefits if it ha

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap