It is currently 18 Oct 2017, 02:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A long-term study of some 1,000 physicians indicates that the more cof

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 20

Concentration: Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V38
Re: A long-term study of some 1,000 physicians indicates that the more cof [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2016, 19:33
Thanks LogicGuru1 sayantanc2k

Would this be considered a correct sentence-
"Studies indicate that not only are GMAT Club students smarter than other students but they also score significantly higher than the rest"

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 345

CAT Tests
Re: A long-term study of some 1,000 physicians indicates that the more cof [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2016, 00:11
abhishek1912 wrote:
Thanks LogicGuru1 sayantanc2k

Would this be considered a correct sentence-
"Studies indicate that not only are GMAT Club students smarter than other students but they also score significantly higher than the rest"

I think not a problem with structure of not only ...but also ...
Studies indicate that not only GMAT Club students are smarter than other students but also they score significantly higher than the rest"

but there is a problem in comparing they score significantly higher than the rest.. you are comparing score with people

I just tried ... but Experts can point out better, even if there is mistake in not only but also.

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 345

Intern
Intern

Concentration: Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V38

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2016, 00:33
Thanks for correcting that mbaprep2016 , though i'm more interested in the validity of the clause parallelism.

Here's the updated sentence -
"Studies indicate that not only are GMAT Club students smarter than other students but they also score significantly higher than do the rest"

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3282 [1], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2016, 03:20
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
abhishek1912 wrote:
Thanks for correcting that mbaprep2016 , though i'm more interested in the validity of the clause parallelism.

Here's the updated sentence -
"Studies indicate that not only are GMAT Club students smarter than other students but they also score significantly higher than do the rest"

I don't see any not only...(clause1)...but also...(clause 2)... parallelism problem in this sentence (even though in the second clause the subject "they" comes in between "but" and "also").

Kudos [?]: 3282 [1], given: 22

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 18

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2016, 10:08
TRICKY!!!!

I have no helpful tips on this one except A B C read weird to me because more..... so I was able to eliminate it down to D and E but after that I have no advice

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 18

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 75

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V29
GMAT 2: 660 Q45 V35
GMAT 3: 680 Q48 V35
GPA: 2.8
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 23 Sep 2016, 12:46
Hello,

Can anyone please solve the following problem based on the concept of more vs greater. Source of the problem is Kaplan.

Even though the costs of paying baseball players amounts to a sum greater than one half of the overall cost of operating a Major League Baseball team last year, Major League Baseball franchise owners were still willing to pay increasingly higher salaries to top players.

(a) amounted to more
(b) amounted to greater

Thanks !

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 5

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 23 Sep 2016, 22:28
My thoughts :

Even though the costs of paying baseball players amounted to greater than one half of the overall cost of operating a Major League Baseball team last year, Major League Baseball franchise owners were still willing to pay increasingly higher salaries to top players.

Greater is used for comparing two different things.

Ex: The price of gold is several orders magnitude greater than the price of silver.
We are comparing the price of two different metals.

For rest of the type comparison more can be used.

BTW, what is the official answer for above question.

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 5

Manager
Manager
B

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V29
GMAT 2: 660 Q45 V35
GMAT 3: 680 Q48 V35
GPA: 2.8
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2016, 06:09
dharan wrote:
My thoughts :

Even though the costs of paying baseball players amounted to greater than one half of the overall cost of operating a Major League Baseball team last year, Major League Baseball franchise owners were still willing to pay increasingly higher salaries to top players.

Greater is used for comparing two different things.

Ex: The price of gold is several orders magnitude greater than the price of silver.
We are comparing the price of two different metals.

For rest of the type comparison more can be used.

BTW, what is the official answer for above question.

Hello Dharan,

Even I chose greater over more because of the points discussed above in the thread.

When we compare things that are number in itself such as proportion, area, volume, cost, we must use greater.

However, OA is amounted to more.

I doubt OA. Can anyone please explain ?

Thanks

VP
VP
S

Kudos [?]: 158 [0], given: 916

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2016, 08:53
LithiumIon wrote:
2016 GMAT Official Guide, Question 10, Pg. 675

A long-term study of some 1,000 physicians indicates that the more coffee these doctors drank, the more they had a likelihood of coronary disease.

(A) more they had a likelihood of coronary disease
(B) more was their likelihood of having coronary disease
(C) more they would have a likelihood to have coronary disease
(D) greater was their likelihood of having coronary disease
(E) greater was coronary disease likely

gmat test meaning and logic and this testing is sometime so simple that it becomes very hard.

in A.

they had a likelihood of coronary desease

I think the phrase "likelihood of coronary desease" is not logic . using our common sense, we realize this illogic thing. we should say, "likelihood of doing some thing" or "likelyhood of existence of new agent".in the combination, " likelihood of +noun", the noun should be suitable logically with " likelihood. in short, when two phrases are combined , they should be suitable logically with each other . this is the logic rule gmat test us. but gmat do not declare this rule. this is why we failed on gmat.
this rule is so simple that we never think gmat test us this rule. but this rule is key to success on sc.

visit my facebook to help me.
on facebook, my name is: thang thang thang

Kudos [?]: 158 [0], given: 916

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 40

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2017, 08:13
daagh wrote:
My simple feeling is that when we use mass nouns or abstract nouns that are taken as in-disparate or inseparable, then we have to use ‘greater’. To wit

This year’s flood damage is greater than last year’s. --- One cannot count damage.
India has greater prosperity than many neighbors.
Disappointment is greater in adolescence than in adulthood.

Isn’t likelihood something that cannot be counted as one likelihood or two likelihoods?

Therefore ‘greater’ is the more appropriate word in the context.

Sir, Is This year's flood damage is more then last year's is wrong? - More can be used for both countable and uncountable nouns
As i understand, usage of greater is very much required when noun is suspected to be an number?

Please do correct me if i am wrong.

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 40

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2017, 09:38
More on option B vs greater in option d

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3282 [0], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 12 Jan 2017, 09:53
Agunner wrote:
More on option B vs greater in option d

When a quantifiable parameter (e.g., price, area, volume, density, speed, probability, likelihood etc.) is referred, "greater" is used. Hence, option D is better than option B.

Kudos [?]: 3282 [0], given: 22

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 46

GMAT 1: 670 Q47 V35
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2017, 23:34
This question confused me quite some bit. I have kind of made sense about why greater is a better choice than more but I can't understand why "had a likelihood" or "likelihood to have" in A and C respectively, is wrong. Please help.

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 46

Expert Post
Top Contributor
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
G

Kudos [?]: 1563 [0], given: 400

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2017, 07:24
Expert's post
Top Contributor
This post was
BOOKMARKED
SS18, if you're being really strict and literal with the meaning here, (A) and (C) are both just a little bit illogical.

In (C), the clearest issue is that the verb tense is a little bit off. "... the more coffee the doctors drank, the more they would have a likelihood to have coronary disease." One problem is "would have" -- the phrase conditional, which doesn't make much sense here. We're looking at facts of a study: "the more x occurred, the more y occurred". Since these are facts, it wouldn't make sense to say: "the more x occurred, the more y would have occurred." There's simply no need to make the second part of the phrase conditional.

In (A), it doesn't make much sense to say "the more they had a likelihood." It makes sense to talk about the degree to which something is likely to occur: "a higher likelihood" or "a greater likelihood." But this is subtly different: (A) is saying "the more they had a likelihood" -- which seems to express "likelihood" as a binary thing, that you either have or you don't -- so now (A) seems to say that the more the physicians drank, the higher the odds of having a likelihood. And that doesn't make much sense. (C) suffers from the same problem, too.

I hope this helps!

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor at www.gmatninja.com | GMAT blog |food blog | Friendly warning: I'm really bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99... in any section order

YouTube verbal webinars:
"Next-level" GMAT pronouns | Uses of "that" on the GMAT | Parallelism and meaning

Kudos [?]: 1563 [0], given: 400

VP
VP
D

Kudos [?]: 1171 [0], given: 414

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
A long-term study of some 1,000 physicians indicates that the more cof [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 May 2017, 18:51
LithiumIon wrote:
The Official Guide for GMAT Review 2017

Practice Question
Question No.: SC 677
Page: 683

A long-term study of some 1,000 physicians indicates that the more coffee these doctors drank, the more they had a likelihood of coronary disease.

You have to know that likelihood is "greater" or "lesser" and not "more" or "less" to solve it.

For instance, we can't say "the likelihood is more"

We have to say "the likelihood is greater", it has to be a numerical comparison.

First glance

The choices start with one of two options: more or greater. Both words are modifiers indicating quantity, but they are used differently. Think about the meaning of the sentence as you read it.

Issues

(1) Modifier / Meaning: more

More and greater are both used to compare quantities. Consider these examples:

Vanessa has studied more than you. (correct)

Vanessa has studied greater than you. (incorrect)

The more you study, the greater your chances of success on the GMAT. (correct)

The greater you study, the more your chances of success on the GMAT. (incorrect)

Why are the incorrect options incorrect? In the first sentence (studied more), the distinction is based on quantity; perhaps Vanessa has studied for four hours and you have studied for only two. In the second sentence (studied greater), the distinction is not based on number. Perhaps Vanessa has studied more effectively than you have? The meaning is unclear, so that’s not a great sentence.

In the third sentence (the more you study), you are changing your chances of success based on the amount that you study. If you don’t study as much, your chances aren’t as good, but if you do study more, then you increase your chances—they are greater than they would have been.

The fourth sentence, though, doesn’t say that your chances increase. It says that your chances are more. You could give yourself more chances to succeed by, for example, taking the test multiple times—but that’s not what this sentence is trying to convey.

In the question, the sentence is trying to convey that, if the doctors drink more coffee, then their chances of having coronary disease increase. The proper form, then, is the more coffee [they] drank, the greater their chances (or likelihood) of having coronary disease.

In general, use the modifier greater, not the modifier more, to pair with the word likelihood. Eliminate choices (A), (B), and (C).

(2) Meaning: have a likelihood to have

The wording have a likelihood to have is redundant. The two instances of have are conveying the same meaning. Eliminate choice (C).

(3) Modifier / Meaning: greater was disease likely

What was actually greater? The disease itself is not greater; rather, the likelihood of having the disease was greater. The wording in choice (E), though, changes the word likelihood to the word likely. You can say that something is more likely to happen, but it’s not acceptable to say that something is greater likely to happen. Eliminate choice (E).

The Correct Answer

Correct answer (D) uses the accepted form the more coffee they drink, the greater was their likelihood. (You could also use the following form: The more you study, the greater your likelihood of success.)

"Be challenged at EVERY MOMENT."

“Strength doesn’t come from what you can do. It comes from overcoming the things you once thought you couldn’t.”

"Each stage of the journey is crucial to attaining new heights of knowledge."

Rules for posting in verbal forum | Please DO NOT post short answer in your post!

Kudos [?]: 1171 [0], given: 414

Director
Director
S

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 859

GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2017, 13:15
the important issue is the question still keeps the parallel form of verbs. That is, "indicate" is present tense, but the idiom is in past tense

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 859

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 15 [1], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2017, 02:27
This post received
KUDOS
If we compare first few words of answer choices, we see a split between ‘more’ and ‘greater’. If we read the sentence, we have ’more coffee….’, correct idiom is ‘the more the X, the greater the Y’. Eliminate A, B and C. We need greater.
In option E, ‘the greater coronary disease is not parallel to ‘the more coffee these doctors ….’. Eliminate E.
Hence D is the correct answer.

Founder, GMAT Mantra
One to One Live Online GMAT Coaching
http://www.gmatmantra.com

Kudos [?]: 15 [1], given: 0

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 02 Jul 2017, 03:54
DollySharma wrote:
LithiumIon wrote:
2016 GMAT Official Guide, Question 10, Pg. 675

Let's look at the structure here-

"the more coffee these doctors drank, more they had a likelihood of coronary disease

As the second part of the structure refers to 'likelihood', we need 'greater'. 'greater' is used when the noun is a number. For example: percentage, rate, likelihood, distance and population.

Also, 'likelihood' means 'the probability of a specified outcome'. Thus, it's imprecise to say they had a likelihood/probability of coronary disease. The correct usage should be "likelihood of having coronary disease'.

E goes out as it distorts the meaning. 'likelihood' was greater, NOT the disease.

This leaves us with D.

Happy Prepping! :D

Dolly Sharma

thank you very much for the answer, but as to D, why WAS is in the front of likelihood, I mean I think it should be like: greater their likelihood of have disease was?

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

Show Tags

New post 02 Jul 2017, 10:12
dharan wrote:
Guys,

Give the concrete explanation than justifying the correct answer choice. OG 's explanation may be suitable for this question only. But it is still not clear when to use greater Vs More.

I see in MGMAT SC 6th EDITION, page 69. GREAT can be used for uncountable modifiers. But at the same time, it is also said that more, most, enough and all work with both countable ( plural ) and uncountable ( singular ) nouns. When the choices are between greater and more atleast for me is still a puzzle, as I still think "likelihood" as uncountable modifier and both more & greater can be used.

Here is what I think, on "likelihood"

A. likelihood is not a numerical quantity like, length, rate, population, number etc.. [ I dont know whether I need to include probability to justify it as a number ]
greater can be used here " The population of Colombia is greater than that of Argentina " Courtesy - beatthegmat
Here more is preferred for likelihood.

B. likelihood is like nouns that are uncountable like patience, influence, courage, water [ can be measurable not countable ], greed, anger, money.
The Etruscans had raised an army in which each soldier had selected another, and they fought with greater forces, and greater courage, than ever before.
Courtesy : Romes Italian Wars, page 214.
Here also we used greater. So in both A and B we are using greater.
Here greater is preferred for likelihood.

I am not a expert here taking snail steps to catch up the clarity. Expert comments are needed

To the highlighted text, I would rather use more number of forces and greater courage than the one used in the highlighted text.
Force is uncountable but in situation of war, soldiers/battalions combine to form units or forces which is countable. Courage however remains uncomfortable and hence the word greater is used.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

Director
Director
G

Kudos [?]: 219 [0], given: 186

Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.5

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2017, 13:10

This is an interesting question!

I would like to jot down what I have understood based on my knowledge.

more ===> used for countable nouns and uncountable nouns that are not quantity nouns/words

greater ==> used for uncountable nouns that are quantity nouns/words

Considering above points, we have the noun "likelihood" (uncountable noun) which means "probability" (quantity noun), we should be using the word "greater" here for comparison purposes.

Hence, Option A, B and C are out (Though there are other errors in A and C which I will not write as GMAT Ninja has explained it in great detail)

We are left with option D and E

Option E has multiple errors and such as it is un-idiomatic and uses an adjective "greater" to describe an adverb "likely" which is ungrammatical

We are now only left with D after POE.

Hence, Answer is D

Did you like the answer? Hit Kudos :good

"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not: nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not: the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent."

Worried About IDIOMS? Here is a Daily Practice List: https://gmatclub.com/forum/idiom-s-ydmuley-s-daily-practice-list-250731.html#p1937393

Best AWA Template: https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html#p470475

Kudos [?]: 219 [0], given: 186

Re: A long-term study of some 1,000 physicians indicates that the more cof   [#permalink] 29 Jul 2017, 13:10

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3    Next  [ 44 posts ] 

A long-term study of some 1,000 physicians indicates that the more cof

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap