Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 16:13 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 16:13

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [1]
Given Kudos: 61
Send PM
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35490 [1]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
Schools: IIMC MBAEx'23
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63668 [1]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: A long-term study of some 1,000 physicians indicates that the more cof [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
priyanshu14 wrote:
Dear GMATNinja,

I am convinced with option D as right answer.
I have query regarding the use of "their" and "they" in the respective options. I feel that "they"/"their" has more than 1 antecedent- doctors and physicians.
So, correct answer should be "greater was doctors's likelihood of having coronary disease". Kindly clarify

Quote:
A long-term study of some 1,000 physicians indicates that the more coffee these doctors drank, the more they had a likelihood of coronary disease.

A. more they had a likelihood of coronary disease
B. more was their likelihood of having coronary disease
C. more they would have a likelihood to have coronary disease
D. greater was their likelihood of having coronary disease
E. greater was coronary disease likely

For starters, pronoun ambiguity isn't an absolute rule on the GMAT. More on that in this video.

More importantly, think about the meaning of the sentence in this case: "A long-term study of some 1,000 physicians indicates that the more coffee these doctors drank..." The doctors ARE the physicians! So it really doesn't matter whether "their" (or "they") refers to "the doctors" or "the physicians" -- they're the same people anyway.

I hope this helps a bit!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 445
GMAT 1: 610 Q46 V28
Send PM
Re: A long-term study of some 1,000 physicians indicates that the more cof [#permalink]
LithiumIon wrote:
A long-term study of some 1,000 physicians indicates that the more coffee these doctors drank, the more they had a likelihood of coronary disease.

(A) more they had a likelihood of coronary disease

(B) more was their likelihood of having coronary disease

(C) more they would have a likelihood to have coronary disease

(D) greater was their likelihood of having coronary disease

(E) greater was coronary disease likely

[textarea]The Official Guide for GMAT Review 2017

sayantanc2k, daagh, AjiteshArun

The usage of past perfect 'had' is incorrect in original sentence because it makes sequencing of occurrence of coronary disease and drinking of coffee illogical.
That is, the actual intention of the sentence is that the doctors first drank coffee and then the likelihood of the disease increased. Now because of the 'had' the sequencing is the likelihood of the disease increased even before the doctors drank coffee.

Am I correct in my reasoning ?

If not can you please help me in understanding what is incorrect in using the past perfect in option 'A'. I didn't really got what GmatNinja explained.

Thanks
Saurabh
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [1]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Saurabh
The 'had' in the original text is not a past perfect. It is the simple past of 'have'.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 159
Send PM
Hi All,
I Need your help on the below question,

A long-term study of some 1,000 physicians indicates that the more coffee these doctors drank, greater was their likelihood of having coronary disease.

I am facing problem with the punctuation.

why it is not a sentence fragment??

As per my limited knowledge "comma" is used when:-
Case 1:- Dependent clause, Independent clause (Fanboys)
Case 2:-Clause, (verb+ing modifier)::(Verb+ed modifier)::(Relative clause)
Case 3:- Clause, Noun+ noun modifier
Case 4:-Appositives
Case 5:-Absolute Phrase
Case 6:-Independent clause, conjunction + IC
Can you please explain me the structure of this sentence?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Smit
Any reason why this is a fragment? Also a, DC cannot be joined with an IC with a fanboy, Am I correct?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 159
Send PM
daagh wrote:
Smit
Any reason why this is a fragment? Also a, DC cannot be joined with an IC with a fanboy, Am I correct?

Hi daagh sir,

A long-term study of some 1,000 physicians indicates that the more coffee these doctors drank, greater was their likelihood of having coronary disease.

What i discern from the above Sc example is as follows
"Study" is the subject of the first clause
of some 1,000 physicians is prepositional phrase modifying study
indicates is acting as a linking verb
“that” is just the beginning of a subordinate clause. What study indicates? --- that the more coffee these doctors drank, greater was their likelihood of having coronary disease.

After comma ,
"Their" is possessive pronoun - antecedent of doctors---It is also acting as a subject of the second clause
"was" is a verb.
So we have clause, clause
however, there is no dependent marker in the second or first clause ?

I am sure that this is wrong way comprehending the structure of this sentence :( . Can you put some light why we need comma there ?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Smit

This sentence can be parsed as

A long-term study of some 1,000 physicians indicates
That
the more coffee these doctors drank, their likelihood of having coronary diseases was greater.

This is the structure.
1. First you have an independent clause
2. Then you have a subordinate conjunction 'that'
3 .What follows is another noun phrase "the more coffee these doctors drank'. Here 'the more coffee' is a noun, which is further expanded by the phrase these doctors drank. It literally refers to the quantum of coffee, which the doctors took. Therefore, this is not a clause. This is a kind of idiom like "the longer I ran, the more tired I became."

4. Then you have another IC, namely, the greater was their likelihood…
This IC when combined with the subordinate conjunction 'that' turns the entire second part into a dependent clause.

This is a normal complex sentence structure. You may like to remember that the word 'that' is an important subordinate conjunction in many of the subordinate clauses.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
SS18, if you're being really strict and literal with the meaning here, (A) and (C) are both just a little bit illogical.

In (C), the clearest issue is that the verb tense is a little bit off. "... the more coffee the doctors drank, the more they would have a likelihood to have coronary disease." One problem is "would have" -- the phrase conditional, which doesn't make much sense here. We're looking at facts of a study: "the more x occurred, the more y occurred". Since these are facts, it wouldn't make sense to say: "the more x occurred, the more y would have occurred." There's simply no need to make the second part of the phrase conditional.

In (A), it doesn't make much sense to say "the more they had a likelihood." It makes sense to talk about the degree to which something is likely to occur: "a higher likelihood" or "a greater likelihood." But this is subtly different: (A) is saying "the more they had a likelihood" -- which seems to express "likelihood" as a binary thing, that you either have or you don't -- so now (A) seems to say that the more the physicians drank, the higher the odds of having a likelihood. And that doesn't make much sense. (C) suffers from the same problem, too.

I hope this helps!

GMATNinja, can you elaborate a little more on option A. Also, if we replace "they" with "doctors" in "more they had a likelihood of coronary disease", can we say the sentence is saying that more doctors had a likelihood that is the number of doctors ?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63668 [6]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Suneha123 wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:
SS18, if you're being really strict and literal with the meaning here, (A) and (C) are both just a little bit illogical.

In (C), the clearest issue is that the verb tense is a little bit off. "... the more coffee the doctors drank, the more they would have a likelihood to have coronary disease." One problem is "would have" -- the phrase conditional, which doesn't make much sense here. We're looking at facts of a study: "the more x occurred, the more y occurred". Since these are facts, it wouldn't make sense to say: "the more x occurred, the more y would have occurred." There's simply no need to make the second part of the phrase conditional.

In (A), it doesn't make much sense to say "the more they had a likelihood." It makes sense to talk about the degree to which something is likely to occur: "a higher likelihood" or "a greater likelihood." But this is subtly different: (A) is saying "the more they had a likelihood" -- which seems to express "likelihood" as a binary thing, that you either have or you don't -- so now (A) seems to say that the more the physicians drank, the higher the odds of having a likelihood. And that doesn't make much sense. (C) suffers from the same problem, too.

I hope this helps!

GMATNinja, can you elaborate a little more on option A. Also, if we replace "they" with "doctors" in "more they had a likelihood of coronary disease", can we say the sentence is saying that more doctors had a likelihood that is the number of doctors ?

Consider the following example:

"The more you study, the more you will have a likelihood of getting a 700."

• This one doesn't quite make sense because you always have a likelihood of getting a 700.
  • That likelihood might increase or decrease, but you've always had some likelihood of getting a 700 -- whether that likelihood was a 0% chance, a 100% chance, or anything in between.
  • Studying doesn't increase your chances of HAVING a likelihood -- you have some likelihood regardless of how much you study.
  • Instead, studying INCREASES the likelihood that you will get a 700.

We have something similar in this question. Drinking more coffee doesn't increase the chances of HAVING a likelihood. Instead, drinking more coffee increases the likelihood of having coronary disease. And that's why (D) is better than (A).

I hope that helps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [1]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
WE:Engineering (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Kudos
[quote="LithiumIon"]A long-term study of some 1,000 physicians indicates that the more coffee these doctors drank, the more they had a likelihood of coronary disease.

(A) more they had a likelihood of coronary disease

(B) more was their likelihood of having coronary disease

(C) more they would have a likelihood to have coronary disease

(D) greater was their likelihood of having coronary disease

(E) greater was coronary disease likely
more the x , greater the Y (A) (B) and (C) incorrect

(D) Correct
(E) parallelism error. drinking coffee -greater
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 531 [0]
Given Kudos: 4092
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 620 Q47 V30
GMAT 3: 650 Q48 V31
GPA: 3.1
WE:Corporate Finance (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
sayantanc2k wrote:
After going through various suggestions by GMAT experts at Magoosh and Manhattan, I could arrive at the following conclusion:

The positive....comparative...superlative forms of certain adjectives of quantity are as follows:

set 1. many...more...most
set 2. much...more....most
set 3. great...greater...greatest

While set 1 (many...more...most) is used for countable nouns, set 2 (much...more....most) and set 3 (great...greater...greatest) are used for uncountable nouns.

Now there could be 2 types of uncountable nouns
type a. Quantity word / numbers themselves (e.g. price, volume, weight, probability etc.) are uncountable.
type b. Other uncountable nouns (honesty, poverty, etc as you mentioned)

The set 2 (much...more....most) is used for type b (other uncountable nouns) uncountable nouns.
The set 3 ( great...greater...greatest) is used for type a (Quantity word / numbers) uncountable nouns.

Therefore we see that "more" can be used for (i) countable nouns and (ii) uncountable nouns that are not quantity words/ numbers.
"Greater" can be used for (iii) uncountable nouns that are quantity words/ numbers.

I have seen an official question with greater understanding as the correct idiom. Now understanding falls in the category of poverty honesty etc .... Why more is not used with understanding ?? VeritasKarishma

Ex My gf is much more understanding than yours can ever be .
Ex She has greater understanding of the world than your gf can ever have.

What is prefered by GMAT ??????????

Originally posted by ShankSouljaBoi on 14 Oct 2020, 15:12.
Last edited by ShankSouljaBoi on 20 Oct 2020, 01:43, edited 1 time in total.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64923 [4]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos